Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
HENRY KISSINGER: An Agenda for the Next Four Years (Read 3396 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

HENRY KISSINGER: An Agenda for the Next Four Years
Nov 9th, 2004 at 3:58pm

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6370244/site/newsweek/

"… No president has faced an agenda of comparable scope.  This is not hyperbole; it is the hand history has dealt this generation. 
Never before has it been necessary to conduct a war with neither front lines nor geographic definition and, at the same time, to rebuild fundamental principles of world order to replace the traditional ones which went up in the smoke of the World Trade Center and the Pentagon…

… The first national elections scheduled for the end of January are the next step.  They should be viewed not as a culmination but as the first and perhaps least complicated achievement in the quest for Iraqi self-government.  Democracy in the West evolved over centuries. It required first a church independent of the state; then the Reformation, which imposed pluralism of religion; the Enlightenment, which asserted the autonomy of reason from both church and state; the Age of Discovery, which broadened horizons; and finally capitalism, with its emphasis on competition and the market. None of these conditions exists in the Islamic world. Instead there is a merging of religion and politics inimical to pluralism. A genuine democratic government has come about only in Turkey, paradoxically through the imposition of democratic forms by an autocratic leader.  The emergence of democratic institutions and of the arrangements which hold them together cannot be engineered as an act of will; it requires patience and modesty…

… It is particularly important to understand the obstacles to democracy in a multiethnic and multireligion society such as Iraq's.  In the West, democracy evolved in homogeneous societies.  There was no institutional impediment to the minority's becoming a majority.  Electoral defeat was considered a temporary setback that could be reversed. 
But in societies with distinct ethnic or political divisions, minority status often means permanent discrimination and the constant risk of political extinction.  This is a particularly acute issue in Iraq.
  The country is composed of three major groups: Kurds, Shiites, and Sunnis, with the Shiites representing about 60 percent of the population and the other two groups about 20 percent each.  For 500 years, the Sunnis have dominated by military force and, during Saddam's rule, with extraordinary brutality.  Thus national elections, based on majority rule, imply a radical upheaval in the relative power and status of the three communities. 
The insurgency in the Sunni region is not only a national struggle against America; it is a means to restore political dominance.
  By the same token, the political process means little for the Kurds if it does not ensure a large measure of autonomy.  The Shiites tolerate the U.S. presence—sometimes ambivalently—to achieve the goal of reversing the historic pattern of Sunni rule and as a first step to Shiite dominance.  To what extent they will continue to support our role as the transfer of power progresses remains to be seen…"

Newsweek

November 8, 2004

El Pescador

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: HENRY KISSINGER: An Agenda for the Next Four Y
Reply #1 - Nov 11th, 2004 at 6:56pm

Do you feel it was foolhardy for the administration to think they could insert democracy into Iraq by military means?

I mean, I hope they/we succeed, but intuitively, I am skeptical. Bin Laden has already stated he wants to destroy America economically, and the war is costing us a fortune (literally). The longer it continues, the weaker we get, the better he likes it.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: HENRY KISSINGER: An Agenda for the Next Four Y
Reply #2 - Nov 11th, 2004 at 11:59pm

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=Extra_Rad_Forum;action=display;n...

Above is a link to an exposition in regard to undertaking the Iraq affair, and it covers my outlook quite well.  Counter-intuitively, I recommend reading the 2004 article before reading the 2003 article below:

http://www.esquire.com/features/articles/2004/040510_mfe_barnett_1.html

I am averse to "tap-dancing" about WMDs or democracy for the Iraqis.  Read what Kissinger has to say about the applicability of the Treaty of Westphalia in today's world.

As to who is winning at the tactical level since 9/11, I am in total agreement with you.  What the world has seen thusfar in the GWOT places Western civilization's realization of a genuine threat about where it was when Japanese Navy attack aircraft sank the USS Panay (PR-5) in 1937.

Without some sort of eventual resolution to the Israeli/Palestinian dilemma, this struggle will likely go on for generations to come, and with episodes of tremendous horror from time to time.  Ultimately, however, what is very much an underlying issue is the progress of what many call "globalization" - and for better or worse, this is a process with tremendous momentum.  At the risk of belaboring the point, I once again recommend "The Lexus and the Olive Tree" by Thomas L. Friedman.

El Pescador

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print