Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 build 793 Broken options (NOPtions) (Read 32446 times)
BATboy
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Ghost 2003 build 793 Broken options (NOPtions)
Reply #15 - Dec 11th, 2004 at 8:27pm

I'm Baaaack!

Just re-read the last reply by NightOwl.

I have a question:  How do you spell "Ghost"?

(Yes, it's a little cryptic.)

One last point.  A 'fingerprint' is defined (Concise Oxford English, 1976):

"impression of a person's finger, esp. as used for identifying criminals etc., (fig.) distinctive characteristic"

I think the reference to criminals is really interesting.

And on the basis of the definition, I would have to say that the "diskID" (the small, "validity checked" first part of what's written to S62) is the 'fingerprint' referred to in Symantec's "documentation", and the second part is merely additional data regarding cloning history that is displayed by the -Finger option.

Myself, I have also noticed (not mentioned by NightOwl) that a large part of what is stored in the second part of the "dirty smudge" is the Drive Information - Manufacturer / Model and Serial Number (what the hell for, when it's readable from the IDE interface anyway), and the Licence Holder Name supplied at installation time.  The latter part is what could be called a "distinctive characteristic"... 

The rest, well, it's history, as they say...

Bb

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #16 - Dec 11th, 2004 at 9:01pm

BATboy.

Quote:
I don't know how you identify the separate areas on S62 as "files",

As I said, I only know enough to be dangerous  Wink .  The disk editor has different 'view' options and one is 'as a directory', and that's when it shows the 4 entries as 'files'.  Those never changed even when Ghost generated a new HDD ID.

Quote:
"How many people would repeatedly legitimately write an image to a clean drive without breaching their single user licence?"  

I guess I do not follow this--I have a single user license, and when I was running some tests, I think every time I totally reformated a drive, Ghost asked to ID it again, and I did it a bunch of times, and Ghost never said I had reached some limit.

Quote:
but I proved earlier that even though -FNF was there, choosing [OK] to the nag screen caused the ID to be written.

Nope--not confused anymore because I duplicated what you did and got the same results as you--but, I think you are still putting the HDD ID and the 'fingerprint' together--they are separate issues.  

The HDD ID nag occurs each time you start Ghost if there is a HDD without an ID on the system--and using the '-fnf' has nothing to do with that.  If you say 'OK' the the HDD ID nag, then Ghost puts the HDD ID in Sector 62--but you have not 'fingerprinted' the HDD.  The HDD has an ID, but the 'fingerprint' means something else in 'Ghostess' terminology.

For fingerprinting to occur, you have to do one of the following tasks:  

an
Image-to-Disk
Image-to-Partition
Disk-to-Disk
, or
Partition-to-Partition
operation.

If you use the '-fnf' switch in the Ghost command line that will perform one of these specific operations, I believe fingerprinting will not occur, and when you 'Ghost -finger', you will still get a report that the HDD is not fingerprinted after you perform one of the above specific tasks (even though your HDD may be ID'd--remember HDD ID is not equal to FINGERPRINT in Ghost).

Fingerprint means the following has been recorded and is referenced by that second file in Sector 62:

Quote:
The information is:

What process was used to create the drive or partition
The time the operation was performed
The date the operation was performed
The disk number

I haven't had a chance to verify the above yet (spent my 'free time' with the disk editor and Sector 62  Cheesy ), but I will give it a try, maybe later tonight and I'll report back on it.

Quote:
When I run GHOST -LOCKINFO, the screen momentarily flashes blue.  If you look closely, you can even see the normal Ghost GUI appear for an instant, then disappear, then after a moment more, the Command prompt returns.  (I don't see the GUI flash at all on the Linux box.)

I saw that screen too on my system when I was trying to duplicate your complaint.  It's actually a DOS screen reporting the results like the '-finger' switch or the '-ver' switch--but, it immediately clears back to the DOS prompt, as you said.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

BATboy
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #17 - Dec 11th, 2004 at 10:46pm

Hi NightOwl,

Just as a matter of interest, are you in the US?  Which TZ?  I'm in NZ...  Currently GMT +13!

Quote:
I guess I do not follow this--I have a single user license, and when I was running some tests, I think every time I totally reformated a drive, Ghost asked to ID it again  ....

Cool, so you are saying my complaint is more justified than I myself imagined!

It's very interesting that a full reformat kills the "Fingerprint" or ID, as you prefer.  That suggests that it's doing something MORE than just writing to S62 - or do you use something other than DOS / Windows FORMAT?  Otherwise, I don't expect S62 to be touched, even by FDISK / re-FORMAT.  The plot thickens.  If it's messing with something else as well, WHAT!!!?

Quote:
I think you are still putting the HDD ID and the 'fingerprint' together--they are separate issues.

Maybe.  Maybe not.  Who decides?  I think we need to be scientific about this.  You obviously want to take Symantec's interpretation.  However, that's what they WANT you to do, and I'm not so amenable to 'mind control'. 

Fact is, "they" are writing 'something' onto each and every hard drive they can, and that 'something' is somehow "validated" by Ghost each time it runs.  If you change just one bit, it doesn't recognise it as valid, and complains - you have confirmed this.  So, whatever "it" is, Ghost recognises it.  That sounds awfully like a "fingerprint" to me.  You can call it a diskID if you like, but I'm willing to bet it can't tell you one disk from another.  It's actually a "stamp" by Ghost onto your drive, and we could call it all kinds of different things, such as "tag", "stamp", "mark" (Symantec describes the process as 'marking'), "brand" (as in the Wild West), "earmark", or even "fingerprint"...  All of these labels seem apt.  DiskID seems LEAST like what it actually is. 

You see, if I stick my sweaty finger onto your hard drive platter, I'll leave my own fingerprint there, (and you'll be most upset about it!)  But it won't help YOU ID your disk in the slightest.  But it certainly will help ME i.d. YOUR disk as one I've fingered before. And anyone else who sees that fingerprint might also be able to tell that I've fingered your disk.  But it's not really a diskID.  It's really a "Ghostmark" or a fingerprint.

The fact that it doesn't (initially) contain any cloning history is neither here nor there, it's irrelevant. Ghost has already fingerprinted your drive, and (Symantec) trying to confuse the issue by calling it a "diskID" is merely obfuscation.

It's a fingerprint, and it identifies Ghost as having had its grubby fingers on your disk.  (Which I personally resent, just as you would, if I stuck my sticky fingers on your HD platter.)

Finally: Quote:
I saw that screen too on my system when I was trying to duplicate your complaint.  It's actually a DOS screen reporting the results like the '-finger' switch or the '-ver' switch--but, it immediately clears back to the DOS prompt, as you said.

Sorry, but please don't try to tell me "what I'm really seeing".  You may be seeing something different, but what I'm really seeing (and have just re-confirmed) when I do this on ONE particular machine / monitor combo IS definitely a split-second image of the Normal Ghost GUI - a blue, rough-finish border / "background" around a grey "window", that flashes up then goes to black, before the Command prompt returns.  Actually, I think the real reason it goes black is that it causes a monitor "mode-change" and the monitor temporarily blanks out while it re-sync's, so I can't see as much as is really there.  It's a different make and model monitor from this one, and this one (where I see nothing at all before the prompt returns) probably reacts to the mode change much more quickly.

Anyway, I need to get back to trying to make this annoying software do what I want it to...

Thanks for all your help & feedback.  Catch ya later!

IP Logged

BATboy
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Dec 11th, 2004 at 10:57pm

Quote:
probably >>>reacts to the mode change<<< much more quickly.

I mean "blanks out in response to the mode change"

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #19 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 2:42am

BATboy

GMT -8

Quote:
please don't try to tell me "what I'm really seeing

Sorry.  In my hasty typing--I should have said '...it looks like a DOS screen on my system...'.

Quote:
I think we need to be scientific about this.

Well, gosh, all I was trying to do was use the terminology that Symantec has chosen--you can call it what you want--but I think they wrote the program--so I guess they get to call it what they want.  

I'm not sure creating new terms or re-defining the terms to meet one's opinion help anyone understand better how the program works.  You want to use the '-fnf' switch to turn off the HDD ID request--it does not do that--so you say the '-fnf' switch doesn't work....well, I guess that's true--if you re-define 'fingerprinting' as being the same as what Symantec is calling 'HDD ID'ing'....

You keep turning down the path of heavy into conspiracy theory... and maybe a little paranoia....

I'm more into what works, how does it work, how to make it work better...and for that I get...

Quote:
You obviously want to take Symantec's interpretation.  However, that's what they WANT you to do, and I'm not so amenable to 'mind control'

Gads...if the program isn't to your liking...don't use it.

Others have been successful in creating batch files that 'automate' using Ghost...I don't know if any of the references in this thread will help, but it might have some useful suggestions:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11015...

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

BATboy
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #20 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 7:49pm

Sorry to disagree, but I guess that's just the nature of things...  Smiley

Quote:
I'm not sure creating new terms or re-defining the terms to meet one's opinion help anyone understand better how the program works.

I think that if we describe accurately what something actually DOES, and label those actions appropriately, rather than simply leave people to wallow in a mire of confusion created by false, misleading and inaccurate documentation, then they have a much better chance of understanding what the program really does.  There are far too many people too keen to pretend that something is much more complicated and incomprehensible than it really is, and misinformation is just another tool in achieving that end...

Quote:
You want to use the '-fnf' switch to turn off the HDD ID request--it does not do that--so you say the '-fnf' switch doesn't work....well, I guess that's true--if you re-define 'fingerprinting' as being the same as what Symantec is calling 'HDD ID'ing'....

It doesn't turn off anything!  It just plain doesn't work at all!

And I DON'T want to "redefine" fingerprinting as 'HDD ID-ing' - they ARE one and the same - but I think you want to define them as two separate entities.  Or show me in the (admittedly, lousy) Symantec documentation where it *actually* distinguishes between the two.  It uses both terms more or less interchangeably, and confusingly, and glosses over the truth.

Quote:
You keep turning down the path of heavy into conspiracy theory... and maybe a little paranoia....

Yep!!!  Cheesy  Nothing is really as it seems...  GBS is one of my favourites:

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw

I wouldn't call you a cynic, my persistent friend!

You can call me paranoid, a conspiracy theorist, if you like.  I'm not offended.  I'm almost complimented.  I see the way the world is turning.  These days, the truth is the rarest commodity.  If you look at the way things are going, you may realise that the "Land of the Free" (your country? - the land of lies...) will soon be a scary Totalitarian State, and Russia will be the land of the free.  All thanks (no, not really all!) to Georgie Dumb-Ya and his "War on Terror".  What a LOSER!  A war on a state of mind!  Is that not something to get paranoid about?  And a (dopey puppet) President who probably really does think that's what he's doing. 

Maybe it's actually Vietnam, MkII, on his own shores. Yipppeee!  (Just consider that now, almost everyone entering the US gets finger-printed (what an interesting co-incidence) and their mug-shot taken at the border.  So much for the land of the free.)

If you look more deeply into what is really happening, and how fear, misinformation and well, plain lies, are being used to manipulate the US population into allowing, even welcoming, more and more restrictions on their freedoms, well, you might start to wonder what is really going on...  As for the US "Justice" System - whoooooo. One scary monster.

So, WHY does the Middle East want to attack America?  It's a very good question.

Quote:
I'm more into what works, how does it work, how to make it work better...and for that I get...

Quote:You obviously want to take Symantec's interpretation. 

SORRY!  But the funny thing is, I'm also into what works, how, why, and how to make it better.  My criticism of Symantec is in the hope they will read it and do better...  From where I sit, you keep making excuses for Symantec.  But hey, they're only doing it to make money - As much Money as Possible - so what a few little lies in pursuit of one's ambitions?  Can you consider that maybe I'm right?

Quote:
Gads...if the program isn't to your liking...don't use it.

Sadly, they've already got MY money...  But even now, if I could find something else that does an equivalent job (and is truthfully documented), I certainly would!  I picked Ghost because it "sounded good" - More fool me for believing it.

Anyway, thanks for your help and your positive attitude.  Keep up the good work, and don't be scared to speak the truth!   Grin

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #21 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 11:15pm

Quote:
"... You can call me paranoid, a conspiracy theorist, if you like.  I'm not offended.  I'm almost complimented.  I see the way the world is turning.  These days, the truth is the rarest commodity.  If you look at the way things are going, you may realise that the "Land of the Free" (your country? - the land of lies...) will soon be a scary Totalitarian State, and Russia will be the land of the free.  All thanks (no, not really all!) to Georgie Dumb-Ya and his "War on Terror".  What a LOSER!  A war on a state of mind!  Is that not something to get paranoid about?  And a (dopey puppet) President who probably really does think that's what he's doing.  

Maybe it's actually Vietnam, MkII, on his own shores. Yipppeee!  (Just consider that now, almost everyone entering the US gets finger-printed (what an interesting co-incidence) and their mug-shot taken at the border.  So much for the land of the free.)

If you look more deeply into what is really happening, and how fear, misinformation and well, plain lies, are being used to manipulate the US population into allowing, even welcoming, more and more restrictions on their freedoms, well, you might start to wonder what is really going on...  As for the US "Justice" System - whoooooo. One scary monster.

So, WHY does the Middle East want to attack America?  It's a very good question...

BATboy

If the above is your opinion, well and good - you are perfectly entitled to hold it, and as far as I am concerned, perfectly entitled to express it publicly - but such really belongs over on the Lethal Rad Board of the High Radiation Level Forums.

"... Which TZ?  I'm in NZ...  Currently GMT +13!"

I have been avidly following this thread, and I am saddened to see its degeneration.  Albeit, being a grumpy old man gives me license to be nosy that youngsters fail to enjoy - the fact that you profess to be a Kiwi (or at least currently residing among them) makes me wonder if you suffered from, or were offended by, Symantec's more recent depredation of the software industry, i.e., my copy of Partition Magic 8.0 came from a Powerquest stockpile that was pre-Symantec acquisition.

El Pescador

IP Logged

BATboy
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #22 - Dec 13th, 2004 at 7:55pm

Pleased to "meet" you, El Pescador, (Mr Fisherman?)

Sorry to hear you feel disappointed by the "degradation" of this thread, though I'm not sure quite which aspect you refer to.  (I do admit to feeling increasingly annoyed with my friend NightOwl's (apparent, to me) persistent apologism (that's probably not officially a word) for Symantec, and no doubt it shows...)

Quote:
makes me wonder if you suffered from, or were offended by, Symantec's more recent depredation

Not in particular, though I don't like buying anything that is falsely advertised or marketed, and these days I certainly am offended by (more accurately: I trouble myself to take offence at) many things, mostly as relate to the accelerating decline of "Civilisation" (or, more accurately, of humanity's apparent (rapidly diminishing) prospects for "civilised" survival.

Anyway, as it says, I'm just a noo-bie 'round here and didn't know exactly what the different board "Levels" meant...

If you want to continue, I'll happily continue on the Lethal Rad board...  [See "Civil Unions"]

Cheers,
Bb

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #23 - Dec 14th, 2004 at 12:28am

Quote:
"...GBS is one of my favourites..."

BATboy

Your sparkling wit and tastes in authors/playwrights will prove most befitting to the Lethal Rad Board of the High Radiation Level Forums.

To pique your intellect, I challenge you to read the recently updated edition of "The Lexus and the Olive Tree" by Thomas L. Friedman.  You will find him a kindred soul in his manner of unveiling the enigmas of these troubled times, i.e., the troubled Middle East, radical Islam, et cetera all of which revolve around globalization - nay, call it what it is - modernity.

El Pescador

IP Logged

BATboy
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #24 - Dec 17th, 2004 at 12:43am

El Pescador,

Quote:
To pique your intellect, I challenge you to read the recently updated edition of "The Lexus and the Olive Tree" by Thomas L. Friedman.

Accepted!

I'm looking for it... How recently updated? Since 2000?  First edition 1999, Latest edition on Amazon is May 2000...  Is that the updated version?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #25 - Dec 17th, 2004 at 4:44am

BATboy -

My copy is loaned to a friend, but it is the original version with the gray and orange dust jacket - the latest edition has a white dust jacket, I think.

The main thing is to look for the phrase
Revised and Updated
when selecting it.

El Pescador

P.S. It is almost 3AM here in Louisiana - I am going to go crawl in bed with a long-legged brunette with ice-blue eyes (been married to her for forty-one years on my birthday next month - I never forget an anniversary).

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #26 - Dec 20th, 2004 at 7:22pm

BATboy

I looked back at your original post and noted:

Quote:
...recommend a Hard Disk Imaging utility that actually WORKS, for backing up and restoring a 3-partition Red Hat 7.3 Linux system,...

Symantec's FAQ does not list v7.3 in its compatibility list--so perhaps any lack of functionality of Ghost 2003 switches under Linux v7.3 may be due to the fact that perhaps Symantec engineers never specifically updated Ghost 2003 to work with that version of Linux.  See here:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/...

I am curious--how did you discover that Ghost was writing to 'Absolute Sector 62'?

I need to correct a couple statements I made previouly:

1.  In reply #16,

Quote:
...I think every time I totally reformated a drive, Ghost asked to ID it again,...

After doing some new tests, total reformating of the HDD did not cause Ghost to ask to re-ID the HDD, i.e. Sector 62 was untouched.  At the time I noted this behavior, I was working with a dieing HDD, and now, thinking back, I was using a 'wipe' program to try and revitalize it.  So the 'wipe' program must have been over-writing the Sector 62 data, and causing Ghost to ask to re-ID the HDD.

2.  In reply #13:

Quote:
I booted to DOS and fired up a 'disk editor' and looked at 'Absolute Sector #62. There were 4 file names listed that I can not duplicate here as they are in 'code'.

This appears to be an 'anomally' of how the disk editor works in that particular 'view' mode of 'as a directory', and I do not think there are '4 file names' listed.

3.  Also in reply #13:

Quote:
...so I edited the data in that second file to remove the 'Norton Ghost 2003' replacing each letter with hex '00'...went back to the disk editor. I replaced the 'Norton Ghost 2003' phrase in the same place as it had been, saved it, quit, and ran Ghost again. Still wanted to ID the drive...

I must have made an editing error that 1st time, because I have been able to repeatedly change data anywhere in Sector 62 using the disk editor, and then replace that data, and Ghost is okay with it as long as the data replaced is identical, and Ghost has not already created a new HDD-ID or fingerprint.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #27 - Dec 20th, 2004 at 7:44pm

BATboy

Quote:
...show me in the (admittedly, lousy) Symantec documentation where it *actually* distinguishes between the two. It uses both terms more or less interchangeably, and confusingly,...

Doing a search on 'fingerprint' on the Ghost 2003 user guide pdf file shows that the only reference to 'fingerprint' in the actual document is on page 158, regarding the '-finger' command line switch, and states:

Quote:
-finger

Shows the fingerprint details written on a hard disk created by Norton Ghost.  The fingerprint details include the process used to create the disk or partition and the time, date, and disk on which the operation was performed.

However, it does not say anything about HDD-ID or marking there.

The only other references to be found for 'fingerprint' are in the index on page 216:

Quote:
fingerprint 36, 37, 39, 158

Page 36 does not appear to have anything regarding 'fingerprint' or HDD-ID'ing.

Page 37 and 39 only talk about 'Identifying a hard disk' and refer to page 43.  ('Identifying a hard disk' is also found on page 38, and I suspect the 'page 36' reference probably should be pointed at page 38 instead.)

On page 43, there is a section called, 'Identifying a hard disk', and that section never says anything about 'fingerprint'.

The index is lacking any reference to 'Identifying a hard disk', but does have a listing for 'Disk-marking 94'.  On page 94, 'Marking your disks', there is no mention of 'fingerprint', but seems to be referring to the information on page 43.

The only other reference to 'fingerprint' in the index is on page 218 under 'Norton Ghost-fingerprint 158', and that page is already mentioned above.

So, the only place there appears to be any confusion, is in the Index where it references pages that do not talk about the indexed item.  This is what made me begin to think 'HDD-ID'ing' and 'fingerprint' where not the same.

If you carefully read your previous posts in this thread, the only place where I have seen both 'HDD-ID'ing' and 'fingerprint'  used 'more or less interchangeably, and confusingly...' are in your statements, and not in Symantec's documentation.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #28 - Dec 20th, 2004 at 8:03pm

BATboy

Part One:

Quote:

(quote)
 I think you are still putting the HDD ID and the 'fingerprint' together--they are separate issues
.(end of quote)

Maybe. Maybe not. Who decides? I think we need to be scientific about this.

Well, rather than 'thinking' about being scientific, I decided to do the science with the following tests:

Test #1:

I booted DOS, ran Ghost and made a back-up image of a test HDD.  I then ran the disk editor and changed all the data points in Absolute Sector 62 to zeros on the test HDD so it looked like this:

Quote:
                                  Disk Editor

December 20, 2004 9:46am

78,165,360 sectors selected
Physical Sector, Absolute Sector 62:

00000000: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
00000010: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
00000020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
00000030: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
00000040: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
00000050: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
00000060: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
00000070: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
00000080: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
00000090: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
000000A0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
000000B0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
000000C0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
000000D0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................

I have only shown the first part of Sector 62 above.  The disk editor shows the hex data pairs on the left side, and if there is an equivalent printable ASCII symbol, it shows up on the right side where there are only dots for non-printable entries.

I then ran 'ghost -finger':

Quote:
Norton Ghost 2003 Copyright (C) 1998-2003 Symantec Corp. All rights reserved.

Disk  Last Norton Ghost Action    Date     Time   Clone-ID
------------------------------------------------------------
 1   Not finger-printed
 2   Not finger-printed
 3   Not finger-printed
 1   Not finger-printed
 2   Not finger-printed
 3   Not finger-printed
 1   Not finger-printed
 2   Not finger-printed
 3   Not finger-printed
 1   Not finger-printed

*** End of diagnostics ***

The test HDD is Disk #3.

I then ran 'ghost -fnf'.  When Ghost opened, I got the Ghost licensing screen asking to ID the HDD, but giving the option to refuse.  I refused.

I then restored the HDD with the Ghost image using 'Local-Disk-From Image', which according to the '-finger' command line switch description is an event that would trigger the creation of a 'fingerprint'.

After the restore was complete, I closed Ghost and ran 'ghost -finger' and got the same result as above, i.e. Disk 3  Not finger-printed.

Opened the disk editor and looked at Sector 62, and it remained all hex values at zero--same as reported above.

Test #2:

Ran Ghost again, but without the '-fnf' switch.  Got the Ghost licensing screen again asking to ID the HDD.  I refused.  Restored the test HDD image.  Ran 'ghost -finger' and now got:

Quote:

1   Not finger-printed
 2   Not finger-printed
 3   File to Disk                        12-20-2004  09:53  41c30a89
 1   Not finger-printed
 2   Not finger-printed
 3   File to Disk                        12-20-2004  09:53  41c30a89
 1   Not finger-printed
 2   Not finger-printed
 3   File to Disk                         12-20-2004  09:53  41c30a89
 1   Not finger-printed

Disk #3 was now fingerprinted, but remember I said 'No' to HDD-ID'ing.

And here is the disk editor view of Sector 62:

Quote:
                                  Disk Editor

December 20, 2004 12:06pm

Physical Sector:  Absolute Sector 62

00000000:
12 91 F2 60 90 A0 2F 19  
-
01 00 00 00 85 00
67 68   ...`../.......gh
00000010: 46 44 D8 BF C6 41 89 0A  - C3 41 32 4E 6F 72 74 6F   FD...A...A2Norto
00000020: 6E 20 47 68 6F 73 74 20  - 32 30 30 33 00 00 01 00   n Ghost 2003....
00000030: 00 00 20 E4 03 F0 D8 15  - 46 00 70 E3 23 00 60 25   .. .....F.p.#.`%
00000040: 46 00 00 00 00 00 A6 22  - 0A 00 A0 1A 46 00 A0 1A   F......"....F...
00000050: 46 00 00 00 00 00 18 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   F...............
00000090: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
04  - 00
C0 69 91 6B 00 00 00   ..........i.k...

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #29 - Dec 20th, 2004 at 8:09pm

BATboy

Part Two:

Test #3:

I then edited the test HDD so Sector 62 was again all zero's.

I ran 'ghost -fnf', but this time I allowed Ghost to ID the HDD, restored the test HDD image.

I ran 'ghost -finger', and now Ghost reported 'Disk #3  Not finger-printed again.

Ran the disk editor and found these results:

Quote:
                                 Disk Editor

December 20, 2004 9:50am

Physical Sector:  Absolute Sector 62

00000000:
12 91 F2 60 90 A0 2F 19  
-
05 00 00 00 06 00
9E 26   ...`../........&
00000010: DD 2F 50 C5 00 00 00 00  -
04 00
3C 31 E0 C0 00 00   ./P.......<1....
00000020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
00000030: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
00000040: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
00000050: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
000000E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................

Looks like Ghost ID'd the HDD, but I do not see the same 'fingerprint' information like reported in test #2 above.  It's different.

Test #4:

I once again made Sector 62 all zero's.  Ran Ghost without the '-fnf' switch, Ghost again asked to ID the HD because I had destroyed the previous HDD-ID.  I said 'OK'.  Restored the test HDD image.  Ran 'ghost -finger' and got:

Quote:

1   Not finger-printed
 2   Not finger-printed
 3   File to Disk               12-20-2004  12:04  41c30a89
 1   Not finger-printed
 2   Not finger-printed
 1   Not finger-printed
 2   Not finger-printed
 1   Not finger-printed

Disk #3 is again 'fingerprinted', but the time stamp has changed.

Ran the disk editor and now Sector 62 looks like this:

Quote:
                                 Disk Editor

December 20, 2004 12:15pm

00000000:
12 91 F2 60 90 A0 2F 19
-
05 00 00 00 06 00
1A AC   ...`../.........
00000010: 81 76 0D D7
01 00 00 00  - 85 00
67 68 46 44 1F A1   .v........ghFD­.
00000020: C6 41 89 0A C3 41 32 4E  - 6F 72 74 6F 6E 20 47 68   .A...A2Norton Gh
00000030: 6F 73 74 20 32 30 30 33  - 00 00 01 00 00 00 20 E4   ost 2003...... .
00000040: 03 F0 D8 15 46 00 70 E3  - 23 00 58 25 46 00 00 00   ....F.p.#.X%F...
00000050: 00 00 A6 22 0A 00 98 1A  - 46 00 98 1A 46 00 00 00   ..."....F...F...
00000060: 00 00 18 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................
000000A0: 00 00 00
04 00
E8 1F 9D  - E6 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ......­.........
000000E0: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00  - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00   ................

Believe me, I have run these tests far more times than stated above, and I can point out several common themes:

a.  If Ghost writes anything to Sector 62, 'HDD-ID' or 'fingerprint', the first 8 hex positions are always the same eight pairs of numbers/letters, so I assume this is Ghost's signature to indicate that what fol

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print