Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How use partitioning (Read 23587 times)
charles nedlig

How use partitioning
Dec 8th, 2004 at 9:29pm

I just bought a new computer with 250 gig hardrive , I told the builder of my pc to partition the hardrive for me
So the 250 gig hard drive is split in three parts each with 83 gig alloted for each drive,  The reason I had him do it is because I saw on your forum that this was a good thing to do if you plan on backing up your whole hardrive, This may sound like a real dumb question , but its my first time with a computer so I don't know much  but my question is how do I get for example my personal data  music and pictures , favorites , money,spreadsheets, my documents sub folders stored now in my documents ( documents and setting ) in the c:/ local drive,  into the empthy D drive which is what he named it and the emphty E drive is what he named the other
The E drive is where I want all my programs to go which are a chess game, system suite , cookie crusher ghost when I get it  ect. and my o.s can stay where it is now , in the C drive.
I have no idea how to send or copy and paste or drag and drop personal data and programs  to the various drives , now of course they are all in the local or C drive  I know where some of them are located in the C drive . I saw a program at best buy called partition magic do I need to buy that to do it ? would that make it easy to do ? Thanks Guys

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: How use partitioning
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 11:05pm

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

elroacho
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2004 at 11:12pm

i dont totally understand, do you want to copy these files and store them on another drive as backups? or have all the programs you install installed onto a different drive than c:?

to select a group of files from c:\
hold CTRL and single click each file you want to copy. once they are all highlighted, right click any highlighted file and a sub menu will pop up with the copy, delete, rename, etc commands. select copy.

open D:\ or E:\ wich ever you want to use for backups and right click any empty space on the screen. the sub menu will pop up again, select paste.

SHORTCUTS:
CTRL+A = select all
CTRL+C = copy
CTRL+V = paste

partition magic works great, especially with large drives. but you said they are already partitioned into 83gb partitions. so you really dont need partition magic unless you want to alter those partitons. and if your going to use a partition (D:\ E:\) as a back-up drive, messing with partitions wouldn't be wise because you could accidentially delete your back-up parttion.

IP Logged

charles nedlig

Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 7:48pm

Thank you very much for the feedback, I think I understand now , all you do is right click on my documents, after sending a copy of my internet bookmarks or favorites and choose copy then  open up my computer and click on say for example drive E and click paste , have I got that right ?
I am sorry if I didn't make myself clear , but from what I have been reading its better when making a full backup like a mirror image of your hardrive when programs, data files, and the o.s. are all  split up into seperate partitions .
I am going to buy ghost but I am worried if ghost can backup to my dvd drive to make the backup onto a dvd disc its a banq dvd drive but the salesmen told me it don't matter ghost will backup to any dvd drive or cdrw drive . if it doesn't back up directly to my dvd drive then if  put the backup first on my hardrive would I then be definetly able to then put the ghost backup from a place my C drive on the desktop for example and from there to my dvd drive .....

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2004 at 11:40pm

Quote:
"... if it doesn't back up directly to my dvd drive then if  put the backup first on my hardrive would I then be definetly able to then put the ghost backup from a place my C drive on the desktop for example and from there to my dvd drive..."

charles nedlig
Discard all theories and presumptions for the moment - has anyone on these boards actually created a Norton Ghost 2003 BackUp image on a HDD, and then simply copied it to some other media (another physical HDD, DVD, CD, et cetera) where in turn a successful Ghost Restore resulted from
using the copy
?

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #5 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 10:47am

El_Pescador

Quote:
has anyone on these boards actually created a Norton Ghost 2003 BackUp image on a HDD, and then simply copied it to some other media (another physical HDD, DVD, CD, et cetera) where in turn a successful Ghost Restore resulted from using the copy ?

Short answer--no, never have had to--I use my HDDs or burn directly to DVDs.

Longer answer--when I was running some experiments trying to answer why Ghost sometime refuses to 'recognize' a Ghost image that had been created to the hard drive and then latter transferred to a CD or DVD--

I created an image using '-split-630' switch, saving it to the HDD, giving me a 3 file image set, burned it to CDs, took the CDs to work where I have a DVD burner, transferred the images to the HDD, burned the images to a single DVD, brought the DVD home and put the DVD in the DVD-ROM drive, and the 3 image set passed the integrity check.

So if I have faith that the integrity check means it's a useable image set, then I have to assume I could transfer that image to the HDD.  But I did not actually do the restore step because that was not what I was checking out at the time--so, I don't know if that answers your question or not.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #6 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 1:07pm

Quote:
"... so, I don't know if that answers your question or not..."

NightOwl
I suppose I will have to be the one to take the
"leap of faith"
.  What I propose to do is make a copy of a Ghost 2003 BackUp image that has already passed an Integrity Check, submit the copy to its own Integrity Check, and then perform the two following procedures:

(1)  Using the original properly-functioning physical HDD (IBM/Hitachi 60GB partitioned as C:=13GB NTFS primary, F:=15GB NTFS logical and G:=28GB FAT32 logical), I will Ghost Restore the
Ghost BackUp copy of C:
to the C: primary partition while overwriting the XP Professional operating system; and

(2)  Replacing the IBM/Hitachi 60GB with a Maxtor 60GB HDD that has been preconfigured using Partition Magic 8.0 to mimic the partitions described above (albeit all the partitions will be pristine as a result of PM formatting), I will Ghost Restore the
Ghost BackUp copy of C:
to the empty C: primary partition while in effect installing the XP Professional operating system.  This procedure will also entail restoration of both logical drives (F: and G:) in the extended partition to resume full function.

Any comments or caveats ?

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #7 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 1:28pm

El_Pescador

So, you made an image to a HDD, you are copying it to (?) some other media, and after checking the integrity of the copy, you plan to do test restore #1, and #2.

#2 seems to be where many have boot problems if the restore is 'image-to partition', but 'image-to disk' seems to avoid the problem.

If you do 'image-to disk', I think Ghost will 're-partition' the HDD in 'its own image'--so to speak, on the fly, when it's restoring to the 'new' HDD--regardless of it's previous partitioning.

I'll be interested in your report back.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #8 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 2:58pm

Quote:
"... If you do 'image-to disk', I think Ghost will 're-partition' the HDD in 'its own image'--so to speak, on the fly, when it's restoring to the 'new' HDD--regardless of it's previous partitioning..."

NightOwl

Point well taken, so instead I will simply format the Maxtor 60GB destination HDD as a single C: primary active partition using the NTFS file format system.  Next, I propose to make a Ghost 2003 'image-to disk' BackUp on a NTFS logical drive partition contained in a Seagate 80GB HDD inside an external enclosure kit.  Then, I intend to simply copy (over my LAN) the Ghost image to another NTFS logical drive partition residing on a second Seagate 120GB external HDD.  After replacing the IBM/Hitachi 60GB with the prepared Maxtor 60GB HDD in the subject PC, I plan to use a Norton Ghost 2003 Disaster Recovery Disk to perform a Ghost Restore of the
Ghost BackUp 'image-to disk' copy residing in the second external HDD to the pristine Maxtor HDD C: primary partition
which in effect will not only install the XP Professional operating system, but will simultaneously restore the balance of the primary active partition C: plus both of the logical drives (F: and G:) in the extended partition (I wonder if the FAT32 format of G: will present a problem considering that all of the foregoing has transpired in NTFS).

P.S. I am also curious as to the fate of the Dell Diagnostic EISA partition in the FAT file system format. Be advised that the contents of the IBM/Hitachi 60GB master HDD remain unaltered throughout this iteration.

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #9 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 3:05pm

El_Pescador

Quote:
(I wonder if the FAT32 format of G: will present a problem considering that all of the foregoing has transpired in NTFS).

Shouldn't be a problem--Ghost should restore each partition with whatever file system was there when you made the image.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #10 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 3:27pm

Quote:
"... Then, I intend to simply copy (over my LAN) the Ghost image to another NTFS logical drive partition residing on a second Seagate 120GB external HDD.  After replacing the IBM/Hitachi 60GB with the prepared Maxtor 60GB HDD in the subject PC, I plan to use a Norton Ghost 2003 Disaster Recovery Disk to perform a Ghost Restore of the
Ghost BackUp 'image-to disk' copy residing in the second external HDD to the pristine Maxtor HDD C: primary partition
which in effect will not only install the XP Professional operating system, but will simultaneously restore the balance of the primary active partition C: plus both of the logical drives (F: and G:) in the extended partition..."

Previous post

Rather than removing the IBM/Hitachi 60GB master HDD for an in situ Ghost 2003 Restore to the Maxtor 60GB HDD, how about performing the Restore process while the Maxtor HDD still resides in its own external enclosure and then placing it in the subject PC for validation of the process ?

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #11 - Dec 10th, 2004 at 3:38pm

El_Pescador

As long as you do not re-boot into WinXP after you have 'cloned' the image to the HDD, and you place the cloned HDD on the same position on the IDE cable as the original HDD that you made the image of, you should be okay.

Again, seems to create boot problems if WinXP 'sees' the cloned HDD anywhere but where you intend to put it, and where the image was originally made.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #12 - Dec 11th, 2004 at 9:51pm

"Kowabonga, Buffalo Bob !!!"

NightOwl -

Here is how it actually went down:

(1) Formatted 60GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus HDD as single C: NTFS primary active partition mounted in a USB 2.0 ByteccUSA ME-320U2 external enclosure kit;

(2) Formatted 80GB Seagate Barracuda HDD as single C: NTFS primary active partition mounted in a dual-mode (combination) USB 2.0/FireWire 400 Macally PHR-100AC external enclosure kit;

(3) Formatted 120GB Seagate Barracuda HDD with C: as 80GB NTFS primary active partition (and F: as 40GB FAT32 logical drive within the extended partition) mounted in a USB 2.0 Macally PHR-100A external enclosure kit;

(4) Extracted a Norton Ghost 2003 'image-to disk' BackUp image of the 60GB Hitachi DeskStar HDD residing as master in the Dell Dimension 8300 desktop PC, transmitting it via FireWire 400 cable to the 80GB Seagate HDD - Integrity Check passed following creation;

(5) Moved Ghost image via USB 2.0 cable over LAN to 80GB NTFS logical drive partition residing on the 120GB Seagate external HDD - Integrity Check passed following transfer;

(6) Using a Dell Dimension 8100 as a platform for Ghost 2003, attempted to perform a Ghost Restore of the image in the 120GB Seagate HDD to the 60GB Maxtor HDD residing in its external enclosure - the process froze and became totally unresponsive at the nine percent completion level - termination could only be achieved by interrupting electrical power;
(7) Reformatted the 60GB Maxtor HHD and immediately copied the BackUp image from the 120GB Seagate external HDD to the 60GB Maxtor - gratified to see Integrity Check again passed following this unanticipated transfer;

(8) Reformatted the 80GB Seagate as an alternate destination for the Ghost Restore process and, displacing the 120GB Seagate HDD enclosure, connected it to the Dimension 8100 via USB 2.0 cable;

(9) Again using the Dell Dimension 8100 as a platform for Ghost 2003, routed the Ghost BackUp image from the troublesome 60GB Maxtor HDD to the 80GB Seagate HDD resulting in a successful Ghost Restore procedure to a HDD inside an enclosure as opposed to an in situ procedure (NOTE: The Ghost Interactive Mode from Windows XP was used in this instance to ensure the destination would be an external HDD and not the master HDD of the host PC - if anyone has an idea on how to accomplish this from inside Windows, I would appreciate their comments.);

(10) After removing the 60GB Hitachi DeskStar HDD from the master position in the Dimension 8300, the cloned 80GB Seagate HDD was taken from its enclosure to have its jumpers reset from Master to Cable Select and then it was at last emplaced in the PC as the master HDD - and with the system booting up just as normal as could be, with everything appearing to be in place, a discreet notice popped up that new Plug and Play hardware had been detected that required a reboot for normal function - no sweat, it was just the 80GB Seagate HDD replacing the 60GB Maxtor HDD;

EPILOGUE:  Just as NightOwl predicted, there were no conflicts arising from FAT32 versus NTFS file system formatting, and the Dell Diagnostic EISA partition in the FAT file system format appeared in pristine fashion on the cloned 80GB Seagate HDD.  Most gratifying of all was the automated 25 percent allocation of extra space on a pro rata basis to the working partitions - see illustration below.

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #13 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 1:19am

El_Pescador

Lookin' good  Wink .

Quote:
(NOTE: The Ghost Interactive Mode from Windows XP was used in this instance to ensure the destination would be an external HDD and not the master HDD of the host PC - if anyone has an idea on how to accomplish this from inside Windows, I would appreciate their comments.);

Didn't the HDD show up as a separate 'Disk' listed in the destination column?

IP Logged

elroacho
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Dec 12th, 2004 at 1:58am

<i>all you do is right click on my documents, after sending a copy of my internet bookmarks or favorites and choose copy then  open up my computer and click on say for example drive E and click paste , have I got that right</i>

yup, don't know what you mean about "after sending a copy", but i think yo got it. your copying the files you want to back up and pasting them into a different drive on one of its 83GB partitions.

to make things a little easier you can rename the partiton to anything you want. so if you want E:\ to be your backup partition:

right-click "Local Disk (E)" in "My Computer" and choose "rename"
rename it to something like: Backup

then hit OK and it will say "Backup (E)"
--------------------------------------------------------------

<i>but from what I have been reading its better when making a full backup like a mirror image of your hardrive when programs, data files, and the o.s. are all  split up into seperate partitions</i>

this is true, you can't write a backup to the drive or partition you are backing up. so if you want to back up C:\ (disk/pattion with windows) you would have to back it up to cd/dvd or to another partition/hard drive.

you should have 3 partitions on your 250GB hard drive, D:\, E:\, F:\ (assuming you don't have a CD-ROM yet) so you can make E:\ your backup partition for stuff like My Documents, Favorites, etc and use D:\ or F:\ for storing ghost images.

i make an image after a fresh install of windows, windows updates, drivers, basic programs, etc. so i can load my image back on if something happens to the OS or my hard drive. then i don't have to spend 3-6 hrs loading windows back on, my ghost images takes 20 minutes to load.

right before i restore my image i save stuff like My Documents, Favorties (in my case bookmarks), Game Saves, etc and store them on a seperate hard drive much like what your saying. that way i can load my image on and then copy all my files back onto C:\ and i'm ready to go.
-----------------------------------------------------------

i have an old sony DVD/RW it ghost has no problem writing to it. i usually split the files with -SPLIT=2048, so that there's about 2 images per DVD. if i know i might go slightly over i'll split it at 680MB so the trailing image will fit on a cd.
------------------------------------------------------------------

and i have copied images to different hard drives and restore them successfully.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print