Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
USB 2.0 HDD/GHOST 2003: Building a bridge... (Read 30892 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

USB 2.0 HDD/GHOST 2003: Building a bridge...
Dec 25th, 2004 at 5:05pm

When building any kind of bridge, it is absolutely imperative to assess the footing at both ends of the span
beforehand
.  This can be realized quite painfully when compatibility issues arise while attempting to attain satisfactory performance with Norton Ghost 2003 on an internal HDD mounted in an USB 2.0 external enclosure kit.

In my experience, the "footings" are illustrated in the aggregation of hardware and matching software controllers outlined below:

As time goes by, I will append to this thread some results of my successes - and failures - in performing Ghost 2003 Backups and Restores using external HDDs.  Eventually, results using both FireWire 400 (IEEE 1394a) and FireWire 800 (IEEE 1394b) should prove available as my inventory of varied enclosure kits continues to build up.

I should mention here that - for external HDDS - my
GOLD STANDARD
of Norton Ghost 2003 performance is the complete 'disk-to-image'/'image-to-disk' BackUp/Restore cycle.  To my utter disappointment, I have found on more than one occasion that performance of a successful 'partition-to-image' procedure followed by a positive Integrity Check does not ensure that any given external HDD set-up can be fully relied upon.  However, to add a hopeful note here, the same
$7.00
Norton SystemWorks 2003 Professional Suite OEM CD housing Ghost 2003 has the Norton Disk Doctor utility which for me corrected file system anomalies and rendered an erratic external HDD stable.

El Pescador

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: USB 2.0 HDD/GHOST 2003: Building a bridge...
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2004 at 1:40am

The above excerpt from Page Three of the RADIFIED GUIDE TO NORTON GHOST is
NOT
true
ALL
of the time, but it certainly is true
PART
of the time - though it seems not exactly for the reasons stated.

Stay tuned to this thread to see where certain mixes of primary and extended partitions when using Norton Ghost 2003 can result in
total non-performance
with HDDs in USB 2.0 external enclosure kits, and where stirring in the NTFS file system format can sometimes lead to
unacceptably severe slowdowns
in WRITE performance during a Ghost BackUp - albeit not in READ performance during a follow-up Integrity Check, strangely enough.

El Pescador

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2004 at 1:33pm

Bulletin !!!
Just received Macally PHR-100 ACB
FireWire 800
/FireWire 400/USB 2.0 'combo' external HDD enclosure kit to match up with my SIIG Model NN2660 PCI-to-
FireWire 800
/FireWire 400/USB 2.0 'combo' Host Adapter Card.
Standby For News !!!

El Pescador

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 10:57am

See table above for a demonstration of the "bridges" described in the initial post.  Unlike my Dell Dimension 8300, my Dimension 8100 desktop PC has no native USB 2.0 ports, so host device controller services for the four different external HDD enclosure kits are provided by the SIIG NN2660 PCI-to-USB 2.0/FireWire 400/FireWire 800 Adapter Card.

Despite the fact of the
FireWire 800
connection outperforming all others in this initial trial, I am somewhat disappointed the scant margin considering the premium price paid for the highly-hyped components.  Stay tuned for updates in these trials.

El Pescador

IP Logged

QuiGonJohn
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 5:54am

El_Pescador wrote on Dec 27th, 2004 at 1:40am:
I should mention here that - for external HDDS - my GOLD STANDARD of Norton Ghost 2003 performance is the complete 'disk-to-image'/'image-to-disk' BackUp/Restore cycle.  To my utter disappointment, I have found on more than one occasion that performance of a successful 'partition-to-image' procedure followed by a positive Integrity Check does not ensure that any given external HDD set-up can be fully relied upon.  However, to add a hopeful note here, the same $7.00 Norton SystemWorks 2003 Professional Suite OEM CD housing Ghost 2003 has the Norton Disk Doctor utility which for me corrected file system anomalies and rendered an erratic external HDD stable
El Pescador

Can you explain this info regarding use of Norton Disk Doctor in more detail?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #5 - Nov 23rd, 2006 at 12:20pm

QuiGonJohn wrote on Nov 23rd, 2006 at 5:54am:
"... Can you explain this info regarding use of Norton Disk Doctor in more detail?..."

On more than one occasion, I have performed a "full-house" Disk Doctor diagnostic on a troubled MASTER HDD only to be confronted with evidence of corrupted system files and a solicitation of permission to proceed with an automated repair.  I have always responded in the affirmative, and have always enjoyed a satisfactory outcome.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print