Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Any alternatives to Norton SystemWorks (Read 12448 times)
^-^ Wai_Wai ^o^
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Any alternatives to Norton SystemWorks
Dec 26th, 2004 at 11:28am

ny alternatives to Norton SystemWorks

Decision to completely remove Norton
I would like to completely remove this program because it is becoming really annoying recently. This program continues making troubles. The last time I got problems with Norton was when I upgraded to Wins XP Pro SP2. Norton Anti-virus suddenly couldn't’t startup anymore (even after I installed all Norton updates!).

Before removing it, I have to find substitutes. Or my computer will be in danger. Does anyone have good recommendations relating to:
(Note: It doesn't really matter it has to be in one suite. If I can get several programs and they meet my needs, it is perfectly fine.
I don't mind to pay so long as they are good enough.
And I don't need all features in NSW. I just need what I ask below)

- Anti-virus
- File Recovery
Requirement:
-- I would like it to work like what Norton Utilities do
-- It will backup all deleted files, items, entries etc.
-- I can tell the program how long I should keep the file
-- It has an exclusion list, so I can exclude some file types or folders which I don’t wish to backup
- Wipe File Permanently
-- so I can safely delete a file which cannot be recovered forever
- Installation Monitor
Requirement:
-- Can record changes made during installation (eg provide snapshots before/after installation);
-- Can remove installed files and reg.
-- Can undo changes made to (overwritten) files/dll/reg etc.
NB: Norton CleanSweep is limited. It cannot really undo a lot of changes. If a file is being overwritten/updated. There’s no way for CleanSweep to help me with that. And I sometimes spotted the program deleting wrong files (and it says it is safe to delete. It is not indeed!)

Thanks.

IP Logged

dbgravel
N00b

Antivirus is Antighost

Toronto

Re: Any alternatives to Norton SystemWorks
Reply #1 - Dec 26th, 2004 at 1:14pm

PC magazine had an article rating antivirus software.
PC cillin from trend micro came out on top. Google it.

But I still went with Norton myself,,, Painfully loaded System works 2005 premiere 2 weeks ago..(removing all traces of previous installs took some effort)  

System works pulls it all together. It may not all work in concert but the althernative of pulling together a suite from different manufacturers will certainly bring a new set of issues into play.

"All my eggs in one crappy basket"   Looking forward to hearing about althernatives.

Reading since 2001

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Any alternatives to Norton SystemWorks
Reply #2 - Dec 26th, 2004 at 1:18pm

I am sticking with Norton SystemWorks 2003 Professional OEM CD !!!

I have two Dell Dimension P4 desktops running trouble-free with SP2 (an 8100 w/XP Home and an 8300 w/XP Pro) on a LAN that is online close to 24/7 via BellSouth Fast Access ADSL broadband connection.

To allay grief from the Internet, I rely on the following for shielding:

<> NetGear RP614 firewall/router between the modem and the PCs;

<> Integral XP software firewall;

<> Norton AntiVirus 2003 (embedded in
Norton SystemWorks 2003 Professional
suite);

<> Lavasoft Ad-aware 6.0;

<> Spybot - Search & Destroy;

<> Security features of the Google Toolbar; and

<> Screening features for eMail provided by my ISP (BellSouth).

For dealing with a limited security breach (when detected, which is quite seldom), I rely on the first item below; for dealing with catastrophic corruption - or even physical crippling of the primary HDD - I rely on backup images from the second item below which respectively reside on two separate USB 2.0 external HDDs (each PC has a Logical Drive dedicated to it on both external HDDs):

<> Roxio Goback 3.1 Personal Edition (embedded in Norton SystemWorks 2003 Pro suite); and

<> Norton Ghost 2003 (embedded in Norton SystemWorks 2003 Pro suite).

I firmly believe that a physical firewall/router is an absolute necessity for anyone with a broadband connection.

[RECENT UPDATE ON PRICE AND AVAILABILITY]
 P.S. The total cost for all the software features described above is $7.00 USD, i.e., the current delivered price of an OEM CD (unboxed) version of Norton SystemWorks 2003 Professional Edition from RowCal.com in West Covina, California, USA.  When my one-year AntiVirus update licenses expire, I scourge the PC and break the seal on a virgin OEM CD to reinstall NSW 2003 Pro all over again.  My last "re-enlistment" procedure was on a buddy's Dell Dimension P3 in October.  Online registration yielded his expiration date to be 10/13/2005; his Norton Ghost 2003 install was hinky at first, but eventually settled down and locked in (never had that happen before).  I previously had on hand ten copies of NSW 2003 Pro from SoftWareOutlet.com and later on five more from Computersworth.com, but their NSW 2003 Pro stocks are now exhausted; so to get some five more copies, I had to turn to RowCal.com where I paid $7.00 each, plus $3.00 each for five OEM Suites of Nero 6.0.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Re: Any alternatives to Norton SysmtemWorks
Reply #3 - Dec 28th, 2004 at 2:30pm

Another category of utility to consider is an “anonymizer” that allows the user to access the web in a secure and private manner.  The “Total Net Shield” solution from Anonymizer.com is the most comprehensive product in this category from the most mature company providing such tools.  I’ve been using it for about six months, and strongly recommend it.

I also recommend CyberScrub Professional as a tool to securely wipe all traces of Internet activity.  While the user interface is not as polished as some of the competition (e.g., Webroot’s Window Washer), the tool itself is a superior product.  You can, for example, schedule it to automatically run in batch mode upon startup of the PC, and it’s the only tool in this category (to the best of my knowledge) that can clean both an Administrative as well as a Limited User account within Windows XP.  Technical support is amazing – among the best that I have ever experienced.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Dec 28th, 2004 at 2:47pm

- Wipe File Permanently
-- so I can safely delete a file which cannot be recovered forever

Eraser (freeware) - http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Dec 28th, 2004 at 2:55pm

Firewall (free) - Kerio Personal Firewall 4.1.2

http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html

A powerful full featured firewall.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Dec 28th, 2004 at 2:59pm

Browser -

Mozilla's Firefox (free) or Mozilla (free).  I use Firefox 98% of the time.

I also use Proxomitron (free) in conjunction with all my browsers.

I only have Microsoft's browser installed because you need it to install updates for Windows.  I use it 2% of the time.

IP Logged

^-^ Wai_Wai ^o^
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Dec 28th, 2004 at 5:40pm

Thanks a lot.
Any ideas relating to Installation monitor?

IP Logged

friendly_jacek
Gnarly

Reply #8 - Jan 5th, 2005 at 5:18pm

El_Pescador wrote on Dec 26th, 2004 at 1:18pm:
I have two Dell Dimension P4 desktops running trouble-free with SP2 (an 8100 w/XP Home and an 8300 w/XP Pro) on a LAN that is online close to 24/7 via BellSouth Fast Access ADSL broadband connection.

To allay grief from the Internet, I rely on the following for shielding:

<> NetGear RP614 firewall/router between the modem and the PCs;

<> Integral XP software firewall;

<> Norton AntiVirus 2003 (embedded in
Norton SystemWorks 2003 Professional
suite);

<> Lavasoft Ad-aware 6.0;

<> Spybot - Search & Destroy;

<> Security features of the Google Toolbar; and

<> Screening features for eMail provided by my ISP (BellSouth).

For dealing with a limited security breach (when detected, which is quite seldom), I rely on the first item below; for dealing with catastrophic corruption - or even physical crippling of the primary HDD - I rely on backup images from the second item below which respectively reside on two separate USB 2.0 external HDDs (each PC has a Logical Drive dedicated to it on both external HDDs):

<> Roxio Goback 3.1 Personal Edition (embedded in Norton SystemWorks 2003 Pro suite); and

<> Norton Ghost 2003 (embedded in Norton SystemWorks 2003 Pro suite).

I firmly believe that a physical firewall/router is an absolute necessity for anyone with a broadband connection.

I am surprised you use XP firewall. It does little to stop outgoing traffic (to make it easy to use for everage PC user), like trojans or so. While you use hardware firewall, one of the full fledged but free software firewalls (I had good experiences with both Kerio and ZoneAlarm) would not hurt IMHO.

To answer the initial question, I have been online since 1994, mostly without Norton, and no major malware in my family, tracking cookies is a different story Wink
My current configuration on main home computer is Norton free, except for Ghost of course (kids machines and work computer have different configurations though):

D-link wireless router with firewall features
ZoneAlarm firewall (free)
AVG antivirus (free)
Firefox internet browser (free and great, new addition to the system)
Adaware SE (free but does not support firefox cookies)
Spybot (free, ? support firefox cookies)
Spywareblaster (free and supports firefox cookies, new addition and a great preventive tool)
I do not use any MS email applications!

IP Logged

friendly_jacek
Gnarly

Reply #9 - Jan 5th, 2005 at 5:22pm

^-^ Wai_Wai ^o^ wrote on Dec 28th, 2004 at 5:40pm:
Thanks a lot.
Any ideas relating to Installation monitor?

What is installation monitor and what does it do that could not be done by System Resore (for minor issues) or Norton Ghost (for major issues)?
Just curious....

IP Logged

^-^ Wai_Wai ^o^
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 8:51am

Hi.
The installation monitor will examine the installation process of a program. Since its own uninstaller doesn't uninstall well, that's why we need this.

System Restore:
- only registry or its similar is monitored. Flawy in some cases. To me, the system Restore failed at one time and it never worked anymore.

Imaging/Cloning:
- It is going to image/clone the whole system, then restore again. It seems a bit of huge work, especially you frequently try programs and uninstall the bad ones.

Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print