Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
USB/GHOST 2003: Panasonic drivers now XP-based (Read 59749 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

USB/GHOST 2003: Panasonic drivers now XP-based
Dec 27th, 2004 at 6:13pm

A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

On September 17, 2004, Night Owl used the subject title up top (source at URL above) when introducing his novel MS-DOS based Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine.  Modifying boot disks generated with the Norton Ghost Boot Wizard, he introduced to these forum boards a method to overcome the shortcomings of various USB 2.0 devices and thus enable them to function in the DOS-based Ghost mode.  (To gather both of the requisite drivers for assembling NightOwl's routine, first CLICK HERE to download the usb-dos.zip file from Radified Binaries and extract only di1000dd.sys which is deeply nested within the MHAIRUDO.ZIP file; then next,
CLICK HERE
to download f2h_usb.exe and extract Usbaspi.sys - v2.20.)

Based on his research and trials, I believe that I have been able to take the essence of his ideas and extend them to where Ghost 2003 users can now use these same USB 2.0 devices in the XP-based mode of Windows.  So far, it appears that I have successfully managed to embed Night Owl's routine in the
User Files
of
Ghost Options
, i.e., they seem to work transparently in the Ghost Windows XP mode as well as the native Norton/Iomega PC-DOS driver set-up.

Click on 'Options'  as indicated above and then select 'Norton Ghost' .

Click on 'DOS type' and select 'MS-DOS' as indicated above.

Click on 'External storage driver settings' and select 'No USB drivers', but do check 'Assign drive letters' as indicated above.

Beforehand, open up the ...\common\... subfolder in the path outlined in blue above and copy the target '*.sys' files therein.  After entering Ghost 2003 later on, click on the 'Add files...' button to add the indicated '*.sys' items as 'Additional files' - the process itself will ensure the paths are indeed accurate.

The 'CONFIG.SYS additions' are self-explanatory, but stress is placed on the 'COMMON' statement being included exactly 'as-is', i.e., [COMMON] - not (COMMON).

Although we do need some beta testers to attain more proofs, results with my 'demonstrator' are shown downstream.

El Pescador

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: USB/GHOST 2003: Panasonic drivers now XP-based
Reply #1 - Dec 27th, 2004 at 9:00pm

Behold a device that previously could only conduct Norton Ghost 2003 operations at speeds slower than USB 1.1. Yet in subsequent benchmark testing using Night Owl's marvelous Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine, it markedly - though not significantly - outperfomed NEC-compliant external enclosure kits running the Norton/Iomega drivers while using the same physical HDD rotated between three different kits.

Despite its flimsy 'plastic' appearance above, it has proven to be a stout device while undergoing numerous swapouts of physical HDDs.

The file system format column indicates whether NTFS or FAT32 was resident on the external HDD partition during testing.

El Pescador

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #2 - Dec 30th, 2004 at 1:36pm

Bulletin !!!
Just received Macally PHR-100 ACB
FireWire 800
/FireWire 400/USB 2.0 'combo' external HDD enclosure kit to match up with my SIIG Model NN2660 PCI-to-
FireWire 800
/FireWire 400/USB 2.0 'combo' Host Adapter Card.
Standby For News !!!

El Pescador

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Jan 20th, 2005 at 11:15am

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11040...

See thread referenced in URL for updates on
FireWire 800
performance with external HDD in enclosure kit.

El Pescador

IP Logged

OfficeDespot
N00b

I say no to drugs but
they don't listen.

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 3:40am

El_Pescador wrote on Dec 27th, 2004 at 6:13pm:
http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10954...

216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/176/176523/folders/122427/1388326ExtSto.jpg
Click on 'External storage driver settings' and select 'No USB drivers', but do check 'Assign drive letters' as indicated above.

216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/176/176523/folders/122427/1388327UserFile.jpg
Beforehand, open up the ...\common\... subfolder in the path outlined in blue above and copy the target '*.sys' files therein.  After entering Ghost 2003 later on, click on the 'Add files...' button to add the indicated '*.sys' items as 'Additional files' - the process itself will ensure the paths are indeed accurate.

The 'CONFIG.SYS additions' are self-explanatory, but stress is placed on the 'COMMON' statement being included exactly 'as-is', i.e., [COMMON] - not (COMMON).

Although we do need some beta testers to attain more proofs, results with my 'demonstrator' are shown downstream.

El Pescador

I did the above on my Ghost 2003 install, but it doesn't include the additional files and Config.sys additions on the boot disk.  I'm trying to get this running right os I can do a partition-to-disk.  I didn't do a disk-to-image like I should have and now am looking at reinstalling everything on my laptop if I dont get this working right.

Despot

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 12:24pm

OfficeDespot wrote on Jun 15th, 2005 at 3:40am:
"... I did the above on my Ghost 2003 install, but it doesn't include the additional files and Config.sys additions on the boot disk.  I'm trying to get this running right os I can do a partition-to-disk.  I didn't do a disk-to-image like I should have and now am looking at reinstalling everything on my laptop if I dont get this working right..."

On another thread you are talking about Ghost 9.0, yet above you mention Ghost 2003.  I am confused, but I still would like to know if your laptop has a built-in floppy drive ?

El Pescador

IP Logged

OfficeDespot
N00b

I say no to drugs but
they don't listen.

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 5:51pm

I have both 2K3 and 9.0 at my disposal.  Wink

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #7 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 6:18pm

OfficeDespot

Do you have a floppy drive available for booting the laptop?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #8 - Jun 15th, 2005 at 6:21pm

OfficeDespot wrote on Jun 15th, 2005 at 5:51pm:
"... I have both 2K3 and 9.0 at my disposal..."

Is there a backup image - or cloned HDD, for that matter - created with Norton Ghost 2003 that is at issue here ?

El Pescador

IP Logged

OfficeDespot
N00b

I say no to drugs but
they don't listen.

Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 12:23am

I cloned the HDD in my Laptop to a partition on an iomega USB 2.0 Hard Drive using Ghost 9.0.

The cloning I did was as a 'disk-to-partition' operation.  Not an image, but ain entirely readable partition. 

I do not have a bootable floppy installed in the laptop. 

I created a floppy with Ghost2003, copied the floppy do a bootable data cd, and the now bootable ghost floppy-cd was able to boot and see the laptop drive, but didn't load up the drivers for the external HD.  I was hoping for a quick and dirty way to make a CD act like the old-style ghost and enable me to do a partition to disk overwrite of what's currently in place. 

The current build of the OS on the laptop is disposeable.  All that's on there is the "restore CD" version of XP from the manufacturer.  Interestingly enough, the restoreCD uses, you guessed it, Norton Ghost to restore the 3 cd's of data to the HD.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 1:23am

OfficeDespot wrote on Jun 16th, 2005 at 12:23am:
"... I cloned the HDD in my Laptop to a partition on an iomega USB 2.0 Hard Drive using Ghost 9.0..."

Since Ghost 2003 uses Norton/Iomega drivers drivers for the USB 2.0 mode, it is odd that your Iomega external drive would not be thoroughly NEC-compliant.

At any rate, the text below documents an instance where I created a "disk-to-image" Ghost 2003 Backup on an internal HDD in an external enclosure kit, then cut all sorts of "didoes" with the image before performing a "image-to-disk" Ghost 2003 Restore to another internal HDD in a different enclosure kit.  The latter HDD was then swapped out from the enclosure to replace the original MASTER source HDD in the PC - and it worked perfectly.

Maybe you can get some ideas from the outline below:

El_Pescador wrote on Dec 11th, 2004 at 9:51pm:
"... Here is how it actually went down:

(1) Formatted 60GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus HDD as single C: NTFS primary active partition mounted in a USB 2.0 ByteccUSA ME-320U2 external enclosure kit;

(2) Formatted 80GB Seagate Barracuda HDD as single C: NTFS primary active partition mounted in a dual-mode (combination) USB 2.0/FireWire 400 Macally PHR-100AC external enclosure kit;

(3) Formatted 120GB Seagate Barracuda HDD with C: as 80GB NTFS primary active partition (and F: as 40GB FAT32 logical drive within the extended partition) mounted in a USB 2.0 Macally PHR-100A external enclosure kit;

(4) Extracted a Norton Ghost 2003 'image-to disk' BackUp image of the 60GB Hitachi DeskStar HDD residing as master in the Dell Dimension 8300 desktop PC, transmitting it via FireWire 400 cable to the 80GB Seagate HDD - Integrity Check passed following creation;

(5) Moved Ghost image via USB 2.0 cable over LAN to 80GB NTFS logical drive partition residing on the 120GB Seagate external HDD - Integrity Check passed following transfer;

(6) Using a Dell Dimension 8100 as a platform for Ghost 2003, attempted to perform a Ghost Restore of the image in the 120GB Seagate HDD to the 60GB Maxtor HDD residing in its external enclosure - the process froze and became totally unresponsive at the nine percent completion level - termination could only be achieved by interrupting electrical power;

(7) Reformatted the 60GB Maxtor HHD and immediately copied the BackUp image from the 120GB Seagate external HDD to the 60GB Maxtor - gratified to see Integrity Check again passed following this unanticipated transfer;

(8) Reformatted the 80GB Seagate as an alternate destination for the Ghost Restore process and, displacing the 120GB Seagate HDD enclosure, connected it to the Dimension 8100 via USB 2.0 cable;

(9) Again using the Dell Dimension 8100 as a platform for Ghost 2003, routed the Ghost BackUp image from the troublesome 60GB Maxtor HDD to the 80GB Seagate HDD resulting in a successful Ghost Restore procedure to a HDD inside an enclosure as opposed to an in situ procedure (NOTE: The Ghost Interactive Mode from Windows XP was used in this instance to ensure the destination would be an external HDD and not the master HDD of the host PC - if anyone has an idea on how to accomplish this from inside Windows, I would appreciate their comments.);

(10) After removing the 60GB Hitachi DeskStar HDD from the master position in the Dimension 8300, the cloned 80GB Seagate HDD was taken from its enclosure to have its jumpers reset from Master to Cable Select and then it was at last emplaced in the PC as the master HDD - and with the system booting up just as normal as could be, with everything appearing to be in place, a discreet notice popped up that new Plug and Play hardware had been detected that required a reboot for normal function - no sweat, it was just the 80GB Seagate HDD replacing the 60GB Maxtor HDD;

EPILOGUE:  Just as NightOwl predicted, there were no conflicts arising from FAT32 versus NTFS file system formatting, and the Dell Diagnostic EISA partition in the FAT file system format appeared in pristine fashion on the cloned 80GB Seagate HDD.  Most gratifying of all was the automated 25 percent allocation of extra space on a pro rata basis to the working partitions - see illustration below..."

img.photobucket.com/albums/v235/El_Pescador/ROZVIII.jpg

Since I have never used Ghost 9.0, I can be of little help to you.  Yet, I am intrigued by the notion of restoring the Ghost 9.0 backup to yet another external HDD and to a degree parallel the convoluted process outlined above.

In the meanwhile, I think your best bet is loading NightOwl's Universal Panasonic USB Driver routine on a bootable CD to do any work in the DOS-based mode of Ghost 2003, and defer any dabbling in the "Windows-to-DOS-to-Windows" procedure outlined in my initial post.  

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2005 at 2:23am

OfficeDespot

Panasonic USB DOS Driver routine found here:

A Better USB 2.0 DOS Driver for Ghost + More!

Make this into a bootable CD for the laptop and you should have access to the USB external HDD for Ghost 2003.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

zukworld
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 6:14pm

I just tried this and it worked perfectly.  You saved me $50 upgrade cost.  Thanks. 

Me: Toshiba Portege Tablet
2.0Intel mobile w/ 1.5 G SDRAMl,
cloning 40 gig to new USB 100 gig.
Cables Unlimited USB to IDE cable
WinXP sp2

I've owned Ghost 2003 for years, never needed it until now.  When it didn't work, I thought I was forced to upgrade.  Glad I found you're info.

FWIW, Ghosting 38gig over usb2 from a 40 gig 5400 rpm to a 100gig 7200 rpm took just under 1 hour.

Thanks again,

z

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print