Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9.0 rescue disk (Read 149716 times)
jose lopez dominguez

Re: Ghost 9.0 rescue disk
Reply #30 - May 4th, 2005 at 10:05am

texdawg wrote on Dec 28th, 2004 at 3:07pm:
When you run the recovery CD you have 5 seconds to hit a key so the CD will boot.  Otherwise you boot into Windows.

A PDF on the CD contains the user guide, or you can download it from Symantec.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #31 - May 4th, 2005 at 1:39pm

How does one choose an image backup utility?  While individuals have their preferences, I do not believe that comparing the specific features of one utility versus another is ultimately a beneficial exercise, since new releases and enhancements are always underway.  In addition, for any utility, you’ll find some who are advocates and others who have had disappointing experiences.

If the basis for selection is not product features or forum postings, then what’s the alternative?  For me, a critical criterion is the company that is manufacturing and supporting the application.  I would argue that at some point, the issue is simply reduced to trust.  Do you trust the competencies and capabilities of the company to produce, maintain, and upgrade a reliable utility?

For example, Drive SnapShot (http://www.drivesnapshot.de/en/about.htm) is produced by “Tom Ehlert - Software & Consulting.”  Maybe Tom and his product are both of excellent caliber, but does he have the same depth of resources as Symantec?  Probably not.

It does not necessarily and logically follow that a well-respected and well-capitalized company will produce a superior product, but in the absence of information to the contrary, doesn’t it make sense that using the products of such a firm minimizes downside risk?

When you purchase a backup solution, you’re not simply buying a utility – you’re also purchasing a company.  That’s a key reason why I use Symantec.  They are not perfect, but they have the best vision for the future of “information integrity.”

To understand and appreciate Symantec’s end-game, see the 2004 Analyst Meeting presentation found at:  http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_files/irol/89/89422/FileUpload/Analyst_Day20...

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #32 - May 4th, 2005 at 2:23pm

I agree that you have to factor in the company behind the software. It takes times & money to add features & work out bugs, and certainly Symantec has both. But there was stretch when Syamntec was releasing buggy stuff. I haven't heard as much negatively lately (last year or two).

I also saw this one TV show how some companies (mostly GAME companies) actually *pay* people to visit forums and talk up their product. These are people who like the product to begin with, so you could argue they aren't really deceving anyone. But I'm sure they are posting more frequently & more vociferously with a paycheck coming from said company.

So, while I tend to place things I read in forums above a formal review, cuz people tend to talk straighter in forums. (A formal reviewer would never say, "this widget is a total piece of krap"), I think you have to look at extremes with suspicion.

If some people are saying "this is the greatest widget ever built .. you must buy it" .. or the contrary .. those folks need to be taken with a grain of salt. Most people like most things about products they use, but few like *everything* about a product.

So I think the secret is in the *numbers*. If you have a LOT of ppl saying bad things about a product, it's prolly bad.

R.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #33 - May 4th, 2005 at 2:47pm

Sad, but true:  companies do pay people to promote their products in sometimes less-than-ethical ways.  The generic term for this is “buzz marketing” (see http://www.buzzmarketing.com/index.html).

I agree that the number of complaints about a product is important.  The difficulty is how to interpret those numbers.  If Product X has 100 complaints and Product Y has 1,000 complaints, do you infer that Product X is better than Product Y?  Not necessarily.  If the installed base of Product X is 200 but the installed base of Product Y is 20,000, then the percent of complains for Product X is 50% while for Product Y it is 5%.  If you only look at “the numbers” – but don’t consider the size of the population from which those numbers are extracted – then very misleading conclusions can arise.

Unfortunately, we typically can't known the population size, because it is considered "company confidential" for the products in question.  Therefore, a comparison based purely on "the numbers" has to be viewed carefully.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #34 - May 4th, 2005 at 3:22pm

And I forgot to link this line of thinking back to the specific subject of Symantec . . . .

While no one outside of the company knows for sure, I suspect that it is reasonable to assume that the installed base of consumers using Symantec products is at least 10,000,000 (i.e., probably considerably more than its nearest competitor).  If such is indeed true, then think about what would happen if 99.99% of all Symantec customers were “satisfied.”  In this scenario, the exceptionally low 0.01% dissatisfaction rate equates to 100,000 individuals.  If only 10% of these post a complaint on a forum, then that results in 10,000 separate complaints appearing on the web.  From your perspective and mine, that would incorrectly appear to indicate a huge problem.  However, given the full context that I have provided in this example, we would reach a very different conclusion:  namely, that the reputation of the company is outstanding.

P.S.:  My intention is not to defend Symantec (they are not perfect, indeed); but it is to attempt to illustrate how we must be careful in interpreting “the numbers” in the absence of the full story.

IP Logged

velocity
Ex Member

Reply #35 - May 5th, 2005 at 5:08am

A very interesting thead which almost touched on my problem.

I have Ghost9 on my lappy and made a Ghost of it onto my desktop using wireless LAN. It took about 12 hours to do but seems quite sucessful.

So everything is fine unless the lappy falls over. Next try the recovery environment. Just couldn't get it to see or ping the desktop so hunted around Symantec's site until I found that the environment isn't intended to work via wireless. I rummaged around a found a LAN cable and now the ping works OK but in clicking through the network can't get any further than Workgroup.

Does anyone have any worthwhile clues please?

Cheers, v.

Added later:
In my search around Symantec's site I couldn't find any other way to get support other than paying  30 bucks - is that correct?

IP Logged

velocity
Ex Member

Reply #36 - May 7th, 2005 at 10:30pm

Further to my previous message I have finally figured out how to map a drive and now have the recovery environment working.

Cheers, v.

IP Logged

praxy

Reply #37 - May 16th, 2005 at 6:02pm

Can anyone past the link for  the ISO of the Symantec Recovery Disk?
Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #38 - May 16th, 2005 at 6:37pm

RE: "
Further to my previous message I have finally figured out how to map a drive and now have the recovery environment working
."

How do you do it?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #39 - May 16th, 2005 at 11:26pm

Rad wrote on May 16th, 2005 at 6:37pm:
RE: "
Further to my previous message I have finally figured out how to map a drive and now have the recovery environment working
."

How do you do it?

I haven't done this for a while so I tried it with my 6 month old Dell 8400. I was surprised because Ghost didn't recognize my NIC and I couldn't map a drive . I then tried the 5 year old Dell that had worked in the past and the Realtek card was recognized and the drive mapped.

I guess I'll have to temporarily install an old NIC in my 8400 if I ever need to map a drive from the Recovery Environment.

IP Logged

Al Guevara

Reply #40 - May 18th, 2005 at 2:07am

I purchased the Premier ver and it came w/ ONE cd only. I cant find anywhere on Symantec Support how to download an ISO or what you have to do to create a Recovery CD.

IP Logged

aszalos sandor

Reply #41 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 5:00pm

texdawg wrote on Dec 28th, 2004 at 3:07pm:
When you run the recovery CD you have 5 seconds to hit a key so the CD will boot.  Otherwise you boot into Windows.

A PDF on the CD contains the user guide, or you can download it from Symantec.

IP Logged

H. Patro

Reply #42 - Jul 31st, 2005 at 6:58am

Me too have the same problem. I am searching for the Symantec Recovery Disk (CD). If any body has a recovery cd plz send me the image of t he cd on my mail id. Thanks

IP Logged

Purevbat.ya

Reply #43 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 6:53am

Hi all.
I have a problem with using GHost 9.0

I backuped My system Drive
And now i want Restore System Drive
But it reqiured Symantec Recovery Disk.

I have not  Symantec Ghost CD.

if anybody have Symantec Ghost V9.0 please Create REcovery CD and create iso file of REcovery CD.

then upload shomewhere and send  me  URL
HEL HELP HELP

my email is purevbat@vuteqmongol.mn

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #44 - Aug 18th, 2005 at 2:45pm

Quote:
"... I have a problem with using GHost 9.0... I backuped My system Drive... And now i want Restore System Drive... But it reqiured Symantec Recovery Disk... I have not  Symantec Ghost CD..."

I do use a USB device for storing backup images for Norton Ghost 2003, but I do not use Ghost 9.0 version.  In the PDF User Guide manual for Ghost 9.0 contained in the NSWP 2005 CD, this is shown on Page 71:

El Pescador

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print