Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
N00b Needs Help... (Read 5769 times)
pedal2000
Ex Member

N00b Needs Help...
Jan 6th, 2005 at 10:27pm

Hey All.

Edit: And apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I didn't see a "Technical" problems one. So please move it if i have made a mistake.

Edit Mk2. I just realized. When i say "Extension Drive" Or something, I mean extended Drive. Sorry.

Well. First, apologies if I mis-understand you. I'm afraid I'm not quite a techie-type guy. And Am just learning about Partitioning, etc. But I've run into what seems to be an insolvable problem... ???

I am also using a Windows 98 Floppy Boot Disk at the moment.

Here's the situation. First, I have a 41 Gig harddrive. trying to add it on, but even more so, to just wipe it so I can repartition it or just have a clean drive.
This harddrive is "new" but i am fairly certain it is used since it had a partition on it.
This is also my third hard drive, but for my purposes I have de-attached all the other harddrives until I can wipe this one.

Now, first, I have two partitions on it. One is a primary, about 15Gigs, named "Primary". It's a FAT 32 under system.
I've created and deleted this one several times.

My problem is originating from Extension Partition. It has no name, and No system. According to the F-disk.

The extension is filled with logical extensions, I cannot expand it at all.
When I go to delete Logical extensions, it tells me there are no Logical extensions.
When I go to create Logical extensions, it tells me that the Drive is full with logical extensions.
When I attempt to view it, it tells me there are no Logical Extensions defined.

I can't delete my Extension Function until I get rid of the logical. Since I cannot do anything to the Logical function, I am seemingly stuck.

Now, I have also tried formatting, use the FORMAT C: prompt thing. It simply reformats the Primary (I presume) and completely ignores the other "Extension" drive.

Any ideas? If you need anymore info let me know.  ???I'm really lost and would really like the extra space.

IP Logged

Spanky

Re: N00b Needs Help...
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 10:46pm

Sometimes the only thing you can do is to wipe the drive.

See here for info on IBM's 'Wipe' and 'Zap' programs.

http://www.digitalissues.co.uk/html/os/misc/ibm-wipe-zap.html

IP Logged

pedal2000
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 10:52pm

Can I use this Wipe on my 41 Gig Drive? (It says it works for 8Gig drives max...) If not, what should I search for? What type of program?

IP Logged

Alfred

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 11:00pm

I have used Wipe on a 60G drive. Worked fine. The first 8G is where the partition tanle and other pertinent info lies. If you 'wipe' that, you wipe the drive. In your case, it can't hurt to try.

IP Logged

pedal2000
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jan 6th, 2005 at 11:59pm

You guys are the greatest!! Whoot! That worked. Thanks a ton! That Wipe program is going into my Greatest programs ever Disk.  Grin

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #5 - Jan 7th, 2005 at 12:53am

Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print