Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RESURRECTION: Ghost 2003 helps revive dead HDD (Read 3042 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

RESURRECTION: Ghost 2003 helps revive dead HDD
Jan 13th, 2005 at 1:41am

A few nights back, my Dell Dimension 8100 froze up and ignored a SHUTDOWN order.  Toggling the ON/OFF switch had no effect, so I physically pulled the plug.  When powering back up, the message INVALID SYSYTEM DISK was displayed over and over.

Using a modified Norton Ghost Disaster Recovery Boot Disk set prompted a message that it was impossible to regenerate the necessary Virtual Partition to do a Ghost 2003 Restore.  Reaching deep in my toolkit, I pulled out my trusty Partition Magic 8.0 bootable diskette set which alarmingly informed me in its DOS-based mode that my 160GB Maxtor DiamondMax was suffering from all sorts of irrecoverable maladies.

At wit's end, I inserted my XP Home Edition CD and fired up the Recovery Console where I used the DISKPART command to uncover the fact that I had partitions that were corrupted and overlapping.  I promptly used the command to eliminate
ALL remnants
of existing partitions before I exited the Console mode.

Upon emerging, I booted back into the Partition Magic DOS-mode where I performed a
Delete and Secure Erase
of the single partition extant.  I then rebounded with a command for PM to format the entire 160GB HDD as a single primary active NTFS partition as preparation for a Ghost 2003 'image-to-disk' Restore.

The most recent Ghost image (Fast compression, at that) of my 8100 resided on a 60GB Maxtor mounted in a Bytecc ME-320U2 external enclosure kit which can only operate in USB 2.0 with the magic of NightOwl's Panasonic Universal USB Driver routine.  Well, to make a long story shorter, I popped in the modified Disaster Recovery Disk set and did a flawless Ghost Restore of my primary NTFS partition and my extended partition containing three NTFS logical drives and a single FAT32 drive.

So far, my Maxtor 160GB has passed all diagnostics with flying colors and continues to function flawlessly so far through a couple of busy days now.  I guess all that I have left to say is:
KOWABONGA, BUFFALO BOB !!!

El Pescador

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: RESURRECTION: Ghost 2003 helps revive dead HDD
Reply #1 - Jan 13th, 2005 at 2:23am

El_Pescador

The partition table must have become corrupted.  (Wonder what's up with that?)

But sure shows why it's good to Ghost!

Great recovery.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Jan 13th, 2005 at 2:59am

Wow. Impressive restore. Reminds me of the time I had to wipe the drive before I could restore the image.

http://www.digitalissues.co.uk/html/os/misc/ibm-wipe-zap.html

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2005 at 1:29pm

Quote:
"... Great recovery..."
NightOwl

I have used Roxio GoBack several times and Norton Ghost 2003 a couple of times to rollback/restore for the sake of relieving aggravation, i.e., resetting systems to a previous configuration following a malignant intrusion or a botched installation.

I have never been faced with an utter HDD failure since about 1985 (a 10MB HDD burned up in a Sperry UNIVAC 8088 PC).

El Pescador

IP Logged

friendly_jacek
Gnarly

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2005 at 4:56pm

Very impressive recovery!
I think however that the wound was self inflicted by the hard power down with electric spike corrupting the data in very vulnerable spot (partition table or so).  Thus you should change the title to "revive corrupted HDD".
When my 8100 acts up like that (happens from time to time) I press the off button for longer time (sometimes several seconds) to force to  power down (less brute). 
I used my Ghost for real recovery once since installing a month ago when bad installation of MS MidtownMadness permamently changed windows resolution to invalid settings on my boy's computer.  Worked like a charm.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print