Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9 - BSOD! (Read 135958 times)
Jimmy Navarro

Re: Ghost 9 - BSOD!
Reply #15 - Mar 13th, 2005 at 3:02pm

I have Norton 9.0 Ghost stand alone w/ WinXp SP2, .Net 1.1; I have an Athlon CPU, Asus MOB, 512Ram, 2 HDD w/5 patitions; And I have DL'd 9.02 and re-installed; CD'd 9.0 and reinstalled; I have cleaned house of Norton System works 2003; I have fresh installed of WinXP (per Tech Support);
I have waited hours on the phone for poor tech support (I could hardly understand the person); I have tried the sorry help support Norton has online for Ghost;

Bottom line: Norton Ghost 9 " cannot conncect to the agent. Service not running" I have checked to make sure all the "Services" Ghost needs is running; (Except for it's own: Ghost).

Please keep in touch if anything new comes up. I'm currently scanning the internet for any help and this form is all I can find that is on track!!

Thanks, Jimmy.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #16 - Mar 13th, 2005 at 3:18pm

Pleonasm wrote on Mar 7th, 2005 at 1:32pm:
As an FYI, I upgraded from Ghost 9.0 to Ghost 9.0.2 - and it worked flawlessly.  The download completed on the first attempt, and LiveUpdate did not prompt for the installation of the same update thereafter.

No BSOD or page fault errors have occurred to-date with Ghost 9.0.2 on my PC.

Pleonasm,

Would you please post a description of your system, especially your hardware makes and models.  Perhaps if I can compare yours with mine I may notice a difference, like video card, etc, drivers.

IP Logged

Jimmy Navarro

Reply #17 - Mar 13th, 2005 at 3:48pm

I just got off the phone from Norton Tech and was not helped. Apparently the number I came her was not current? I couldn't get a response at all -- It might have been self-service, anyway...
I'm using ATI 9700Radeon card with drivers ( I removed them and this didn't do any good.), NEC DVD Burner; the only programs I have installed are Norton Ghost and Acrobat and
WinXP Pro.

I don't know if this matters but: I have NTFS partitions on one HDD and FAT32 on another? Never gave it much thought?

Jimmy

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #18 - Mar 13th, 2005 at 4:35pm

Jimmy Navarro

You might want to start a new posting that is specific to your problem--might get more folks looking at it--this thread was about Ghost 9 causing a 'Blue screen of death' (BSOD) fault that stopped the system after doing a backup procedure.

Your problem seems to be you can not get Ghost 9 to start--a different problem completely.

Quote:
Bottom line: Norton Ghost 9 " cannot conncect to the agent. Service not running" I have checked to make sure all the "Services" Ghost needs is running

Have you tweaked or modified any of the WinXP services per some other website recommendations?

Have you tried to uninstall and reinstall '.net' to be sure it's installed correctly?

Any other clues as to which 'agent' the fault notice is referring to?  --is the install program trying to 'phone home' to Symantec and your firewall is preventing the connection?

Quote:
I don't know if this matters but: I have NTFS partitions on one HDD and FAT32 on another? Never gave it much thought?

That should not be the issue with the problem you're having--can't be sure, but shouldn't be.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Jimmy Navarro

Reply #19 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 10:06pm

Thanks for the tips. My intial problem with Ghost 9.0 started with the BSOD; then I was able to recover with "OptOut"; but things have not changed much since my last post. I've tried diabling the firewall; installed and uninstalled .net; as far as services: those outline in the manuel, not much tweaking there...
Thanks again.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #20 - Mar 14th, 2005 at 10:52pm

Jimmy Navarro

Quote:
then I was able to recover with "OptOut";

So, that got rid of the BSOD problem, but Ghost 9.0 is still a no-start.

Quote:
as far as services: those outline in the manuel, not much tweaking there...

Okay, that's a bit vague...what 'manuel' and what 'outline'?

Hey, you Ghost 9.x users--where are you when someone needs help?

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

artfd
Ex Member

I Love Radified!

Reply #21 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 2:34am

FWIW -- I understand Ghost 9 is a revision of Drive Image 7, which I have run on my WinXP Pro machine.  Using DI7  I initially got a BSOD with an error message pointing to the pqv2i.sys file .  After exchanging emails with symantec_support, I was sent a revised pqv2i.sys file.  I reinstalled Drive Image 7, substituted the new pqv2i.sys file, and was able to run the program without further trouble.   I stopped using Drive Image 7 because I have to use both Win 98SE and WinXP machines, and DI7 is strictly a WinXP program, as is Norton Ghost 9.    Norton Ghost 2003 adapts to either OS, with it  I can backup/restore either OS using either machine, this gives me both the flexibility & degree of safety I want in an imaging program.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #22 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 1:29pm

Jimmy Navarro, with respect to the Ghost 9.0 problem, “cannot connect to the agent - service not running,” please double-check the Windows XP services status (click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and then Services).  Does anything therein look abnormal?  Can you kindly post your findings?

Is the Event Viewer reporting any helpful diagnostic information (click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and then Event Viewer)?

By the way, I too have a NTFS partition and a FAT32 partition, and am not experiencing a BSOD issue with Ghost 9.0.2.  So, it is very unlikely that such a configuration is problematical.

IP Logged

Jimmy Navarro

Reply #23 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 9:33pm

Sorry for the long wait on your follow-ups; and BTW, thanks:
North Ghost 9.0 User's guide, p.108, "...agent & Windows Services." i.e. Event Log, Logical Disk Manger and RPC.
  No help from the Events Info. I've turned on/off several services that I thought would be of help (too long to post here...) and it will not "connect". As I understand it,  pqv2i.sys is the driver that is loaded by pqv2isvc.exe? (I'll have to check to see what version I have.) But what is it that prevents the "loading", perhaps security? I don't know...
No BSOD after tweaking the boot.ini file (per Norton) i.e. "optout".

BTW, I don't if you know this, but I came across an article on "Windows XP Crashed" at Digital Webcast that saved my WinXP system (I had no Bkups);

anyway...
I found that one of my drives is a fat one (8?16? but not fat32); So my new install or start-up drive "C",  is NTFS on one disk and on the other: 1 fat drive and 2 fat32!
I messed things up earlier and I trashed my previous "C" drive.  I have to go back to the fat drive to a fat32 and fix by the fixing the boot sector; this way so that I can re-capture my old "c" drive and the old Winxp system on it? (I have too many programs, updates, etc...)
Confusing? But before I do that I want to get N. Ghost 9.0 working on the new install... BTW sorry for the long post; I thought I fill you in on the "ghosts in my past" (Sorry Grin) )
Jimmy

IP Logged

Jimmy Navarro

Reply #24 - Mar 15th, 2005 at 9:39pm

"I messed things up earlier and I trashed my previous "C" drive.  I have to go back to the fat drive and convert it to fat32; this way, I can get back my old "c" drive and the old WinXp system on it? (I have too many programs, updates, etc...) "

Hope this is a little clearer...?

IP Logged

Rennwald

Reply #25 - Apr 18th, 2005 at 3:49pm

Pleonasm wrote on Mar 15th, 2005 at 1:29pm:
Jimmy Navarro, with respect to the Ghost 9.0 problem, “cannot connect to the agent - service not running,” please double-check the Windows XP services status (click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and then Services).  Does anything therein look abnormal?  Can you kindly post your findings?

Is the Event Viewer reporting any helpful diagnostic information (click Start, Control Panel, Administrative Tools, and then Event Viewer)?

By the way, I too have a NTFS partition and a FAT32 partition, and am not experiencing a BSOD issue with Ghost 9.0.2.  So, it is very unlikely that such a configuration is problematical.

You certainly did NOTtry to clone a system-partition, i.e. the one carrying the OS XP with SP2. Otherwise you would have encountered the BSOD, as all the others.
You are only making false hope to them.

The programm can only copy normal data-carryuing partitions like D:, but never a system partition to boot with.

Unless you know some tricks which some seem to know.

Here in Germany we are meeting the same BSOD-problems.
And the arrogance of Symantec Germany is so great, that that they even do not have a help-line, not to speak of an update, like Ghost 9.0.2

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #26 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 3:36pm

Rennwald, I'm not sure I correctly understand your post:  "program [Ghost 9.0] can only copy normal data-carrying partitions like D:, but never a system partition to boot with."

I use Ghost 9.0 to image both my operating system partition (NTFS, Windows XP SP2) - plus a FAT partition - without difficulty.  It's not "false hope" and there is no "trick" involved.

Am I missing something here?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #27 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 4:16pm

Pleonasm

I'm curious--you have, in several threads, mentioned your success with creating images with Ghost 9.x, but I have never seen where you say (maybe I just missed it) that you have 'cloned' your OS partition to another HDD, and you were able to then successfully boot from that new cloned HDD.  When I say 'cloned', have you done direct cloning disk-to-disk with Ghost 9.x, and/or image-to-disk?

Nor do I recall you saying you have 'restored' your OS partition from an image file, and successfully booted from that restored image.

Can we assume that you have done one, two or all three of the above and all has worked fine?

Will appreciate the confirmation of that information.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #28 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 7:06pm

I have not had the need to either clone (copy) a drive, nor to restore a drive (although there have been a few 'close calls').  I'm sure the day will come - but, hopefully, in the distant future.

Recall that the original subject of this thread specifically concerns the creation of images, not their restoration.

NightOwl, may I inquire:  what is your motivation for asking?

Kind regards,
Pleonasm

P.S.:  By the way, the procedures for copying a drive with Ghost 9.0 are documented in chapter 7 of the User's Guide.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #29 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 8:21pm

Pleonasm

Quote:
NightOwl, may I inquire:  what is your motivation for asking?

Glad you asked--very specifically, because no one has answered this question in this other thread:

Ghost 9.0 restoration problem-Windows boot freeze

As I see more questions about Ghost 9.x, it seems that the questions (some other forums besides here as well) are less on the installation and image creation side of things--but when it comes time to recover from a disaster.  And I'm not seeing 'successful' users reporting their results and how they accomplished it.

Regardless of the backup solutions I've used over the years, I have not placed my trust in it until I have actually successfully demonstrated the ability of the software to correctly restore my system with the given hardware.

Added later:

For instance, in using Ghost 2003--I had two HDD's, the original with my OS, Data, etc.

I cloned the original to the backup HDD--disk-to-disk clone, swapped the HDD's an made sure the 'cloned' HDD functioned correctly.

I then created a disk-to-image backup of the original HDD saving the image on the backup HDD.  Then copied the image from the backup HDD to the original HDD (in the next step, I couldn't be using the image file on the backup HDD to overwrite the backup HDD with that image!).   And then 'cloned' image-to-disk to the backup HDD, placed the 'cloned' HDD as the master, and again verified that it booted without problems into the OS.

Until you know you can do that, in my opinion, you do not have a trustworthy backup solution.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print