Ghost 9 - BSOD! (Read 135941 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Ghost 9 - BSOD!
Reply #30 - Apr 21st, 2005 at 9:28pm

Quote:
"... I have not had the need to either clone (copy) a drive, nor to restore a drive (although there have been a few 'close calls').  I'm sure the day will come - but, hopefully, in the distant future..."

Pleonasm

A major benefit of my having various internal HDDs mounted in external enclosure kits (as opposed to your Maxtor OneTouch whose features you are so reluctant to divulge) is that I can perform Norton Ghost 2003 Restores and Clones to an external HDD only to substitute it for the original primary internal Master HDD so as to validate each procedure.  With complete aplomb on three occasions, I have performed elective Ghost Restores after major "screw-ups"; on a fourth catastrophic occasion, I performed a successful non-elective Restore when a partition table was corrupted.

As far as Ghost 2003 BackUps go, I suspect I am well over two hundred - many for actual security purposes, but most for testing purposes.  I used to keep careful notes on a spreadsheet, but I lost track after I passed 125+.

El Pescador

IP Logged

nuvols

Reply #31 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 4:59pm

I got the same problem too!!!!!!
After many tentatives, i just put off all symantec programs form my pc!! I found a less known but better solution: Acronis True Image 8.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm just using it Smiley)

IP Logged

Ron Miller

Reply #32 - Jul 1st, 2005 at 5:18pm

I know this thread is old and dead, but in case someone Googles to it, I have a little update.  On my brand new Athlon 64 computer, I installed Norton Ghost 9.  I guess Live Update brought it up to 9.02. I backed up my FAT32 C drive and my NTFS E: drive.  Both went through incremental backups a day later after which the computer was Hibernated.  The next time I actually had to reboot, I got a BSOD as soon as Windows XPSP2 started to load.  The problem was PQV2i.sys and it caused a "page_fault_in_nonpaged_area."  I couldn't load Windows in Safe Mode for some reason (SHOULD be able to since Safe Mode's supposed to load Windows withOUT any third-party drivers)..
Because my C: is FAT32, I could boot to a floppy and access it.  The long-story-short is that I found TWO copies of PQ2Vi.sys, one in windows\system32\drivers where it's SUPPOSED TO BE and another one in windows\system32 where it's NOT supposed to be.  The one in windows\system32 was SMALLER, and the version # was OLDER than the one in windows\system32\drivers.  When I got rid of the older version in windows\system32, Windows XP booted again, and Norton Ghost works fine. 
I reported this to Symantec, but I've heard nothing from them.
My suspicion is that Live Update might have caused this duplication of files when it took Ghost from 9.0 to 9.02, but that's ONLY a suspicion.

I post this because I hope the info might help someone else.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #33 - Jul 1st, 2005 at 5:45pm

What an interesting observation Ron and thanks for the report. Symantec should take notice and could you please pass along any updated information.

IP Logged

Commander8x

Reply #34 - Jul 4th, 2005 at 9:49am

@Ron Miller:
Thank you for staying "on top" with this thread! I´ve just googled for Ghost 9 deinstallation issues - et voila!

My problem: I have Win XP SP2 installed (and all the rest of Post-SP2-updates), and guided by the Radified-Ghost-Guide I decided to uninstall Norton Ghost 9, for to switch back to Ghost 2003 boot disks. I also did the last MS Post-SP2-updates. Next time I started the WinXP went down with a BSOD and an error message concerning something similar as mentioned before. The thing is now: I can start WinXP normally, until I log in or (as I suppose) some services are started during bootup. Then every time I get a sudden death. This weekend I searched a lot along the registry, Autostart, services and so on; fortunately the Safe Mode is still accesible. I removed all the Post-SP2 updates by hand.  I also tried to uninstall other programs with Autostart functionality: Kaspersky AV, Outpost firewall, ERUNT, Adobe Acrobat, but nothing helped.... My only success so far was a sudden reboot without any promt or BSOD after 1 minute or so uptime.  I was really careful not to overlook Symantec or Norton or Ghost startup services or registry values. Unfortunately the problem persists.

Instead I found a lot of registry entries for programs that have been uninstalled very recently, even with the help of Ashampoo Uninstaller.

So I´ll try if pqv2isvc.exe/dll might be the problem. But it seems that Symantec applications can never be removed correctly. By browsing the Symantec Knowledge base I saw HORRIBLE things.... If I can solve this once, I will never trash my hard disk with any Sym. programs again, I swear!
Or perhaps I install Ghost 9 again in the same folder as before and leave it there until the PC dies.... Sure I´ll never touch it again.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #35 - Jul 7th, 2005 at 10:27am

Like Ron Miller, I too initially installed Ghost 9.0 and then upgraded (via LiveUpdate) to Ghost 9.0.2.  However, unlike Ron's situation, there is only one copy of PQV2i.sys on my PC in C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers with the following attributes.

Size on disk:  139,264 bytes
     Created:  Thursday, July 29, 2004, 4:33:08 AM
     File version:  2.0.4.403

Therefore, the cause of the older version of PQV2i.sys in C:\WINDOWS\system32 reported by Ron appears to be due to a reason other than an upgrade from Ghost 9.0 to 9.0.2.

IP Logged

D. Webb

Reply #36 - Jul 25th, 2005 at 2:54pm

Has anybody tried the fixes (new PQV2i.sys download) as outlined here:
 http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=892000

and here

http://service1.symantec.com/support/powerquest.nsf/35f1485389b899f088256e97004a...

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #37 - Jul 25th, 2005 at 3:25pm

D. Webb, that’s quite an interesting post.

The Symantec Knowledge Base Document (ID 2004076514991962) describing the new Pqv2i.sys driver doesn’t indicate whether it is applicable to Ghost 9.0 (only to V2i Protector 2.0 and Drive Image 7.0).  Nonetheless, I’ve sent an inquiry to Symantec Technical Support requesting clarification on whether the new Pqv2i.sys driver should be installed if using Ghost 9.0.  I’ll post back what I learn.

IP Logged

D. Webb

Reply #38 - Jul 25th, 2005 at 5:05pm

I'm trying the fix tonight, on my system that suddenly developed the BSOD problem.  After eventually uninstalling Norton Systemworks 2005 Premier (a painful ordeal, since I couldn't boot except off of CD) the problem went away.  I re-installed Norton, and the problem appeared again.  The BSOD will go away if the PQV2i.sys file is re-named to something else, but Ghost is obviously not happy with that.  Tonight, I'll take the new downloaded PQV2i.sys file, rename it "new_PQV2i.sys", copy it to the Windows\system32\drivers\ folder,  re-install Systemworks, get the expected BSOD, boot off of CD, and rename/swap the old and new files.  I'll report on the results.

The funny (but disturbing) thing is that I didn't (knowingly) install any SW or HW for months prior to this happening.  I used the Ghost recovery CD to restore the C:\Windows directory to a version made a few days prior to this happening, but the probelm was still there.

IP Logged

D. Webb

Reply #39 - Jul 25th, 2005 at 5:28pm

Also , in another post (Reply 21), somebody said that Symantec sent them an updated PQV2i.sys file, that fixed the BSOD PAGE_FAULT problem.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #40 - Jul 25th, 2005 at 6:11pm

D. Webb, one thing to check:  the fact that the Symantec Knowledge Base document (ID 2004076514991962) has a “Last Modified” date of 05/04/2005 doesn’t necessarily mean that the Pqv2i.sys download is newer than the one installed by Ghost 9.0 (file version 2.0.4.403).

Can you kindly report back the file version of the Pqv2i.sys file extracted from the pqv2isysdriver.zip download?

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #41 - Jul 25th, 2005 at 6:19pm

D. Webb, the statement "I was sent a revised pqv2i.sys file" appears in the post by artfd on 15 Mar 2005 in this thread.  Note that it is in reference to the use of Drive Image 7 and not Ghost 9.0.

IP Logged

John

Reply #42 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 12:23am

Hello, I'm running Ghost 9.0.2.3981 with version 2.0.4.403 of PQV2i.sys. I've tried the pqv2isysdriver.zip from the microsoft support mentioned above, this installs the 2.0.1.309 version of PQV2i.sys. Both give me the BSOD and are only located in winnt\system32\drivers directory. The only way around the BSOD is to rename PQV2i.sys so it can not load on a boot. I was fortunate to have a FAT32 C: drive so I could boot from floppy and rename the file.

IP Logged

John

Reply #43 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 1:41am

As an update to my post, I have Ghost 9 running on 2 computers. Only one has scheduled backups and incrementals and it is this computer that is having problems with PQV2i.sys  and the BSOD on bootup.
Interestingly enough, I've found that I can successfully boot with PQV2i.sys renamed and hidden, then after I've completely booted up I rename it for Ghost 9 to use.
I check to see if  Ghost 9 sees this service, then I rename it and hide it again. A bit messy and certainly Symantic needs to fix this, but Ghost 9 seems happy with this work around, and no BSOD on bootup.

IP Logged

Daryl Cheshire

Reply #44 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 7:43am

I have had the same pq2vi.sys problem with Ghost 9. I'm running XP SP2 on a RAID 0 drive and am quite happy with Ghost 9 where I back up a NTFS (boot) and FAT32 partitions. I also have restored several times. I have also experienced the BSOD occasionally and I would like to tell you what I do.

I have set up the XP console as a boot option, I have also created a floppy disk which enables me to load the RAID 0 driver when I press F6.

When I get the BSOD, I boot using the console option and then press F6, load the drivers and boot into the console.

I then rename pqv2i.sys (in SYSTEM32\DRIVERS) to pqv2i.old and then reboot. After rebooting, I get some complaints from Ghost 9 that it can't run the service but after that, I rename the pqv2i.old to pqv2i.sys and reboot and all works normally.

I don't use Ghost all the time so I get irritated when Ghost 9 loads as a service when I'm benchmarking etc so I have greated a batchfile called noghost.bat which runs 'sc stop "Norton Ghost"' and 'taskkill /im ghosttray.exe'.

Sometimes you have to run it 3 times before the task tray icon disappears.

I also have a batchfile called reghost.bat which reinstates ghost 9 on the task bar.

I don't know what the final answer is but I have this workaround so I can take it in my stride, fortunately it doesn't happen too often. If it pisses me off I might just not load the service at startup and use reghost.bat when I want to do a backup.

I hope this helps.

Daryl

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print