Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9 - BSOD! (Read 135963 times)
D. Webb

Re: Ghost 9 - BSOD!
Reply #45 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 10:21am

The downloaded PQV2i.sys file was an older version, and didn't work (same BSOD).  I can't tell you which version number, since I've deleted the file (I still have the ZIP file, however....).

I sent the problem description to Symantec, and they replied with the "change the NOEXECUTE=OPTIN to NOEXECUTE = OPTOUT in Boot.ini file" fix.

From experiences noted on this board and others, that may not work.
I'll try reinstalling it again after work.  The sad part is, I really don't need the Systemworks programs, except for Ghost, which is what causes the problem. 

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #46 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 1:40pm

Daryl and D. Webb, the post by John (reply #43 on 25 Jul 2005 at 23:41) indicates that the BSOD issue only occurs if he “has scheduled backups and incrementals”.  Do you also schedule backups in Ghost 9.0?  If yes, can you avoid the BSOD issue by disabling the schedule?

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #47 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 1:58pm

I received a reply from Symantec Technical Support to my inquiry regarding the Pqv2i.sys file referenced in the Symantec Knowledge Base document “Blue-screen error messages appear after installing V2i Protector 2.0 or Drive Image 7.0” (ID 2004076514991962).  Symantec says:
  • “The document you asked is applicable to Drive Image 7.0 only.  It is not applicable with Norton Ghost 9.0.”

IP Logged

D. Webb

Reply #48 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 2:43pm

Yes, I have always had scheduled backups.  They have been working correctly since February.  The installation/re-installation of Systemworks (including Ghost) did not correct the problem.  I assume that uninstalling and re-installing would delete any scheduled backups.

I will try the fix that Symantec Tech support suggested, but I have little confidence that it will clear up the problem.

This seems to be a problem that Symantec has been aware of since at least January 2005, if previous posts to this and other forums are to be taken at face value.  I hope that Symantec will devote some additional resources to solving this problem, before somebody takes action against them for selling a defective product, like has previously happened against McAfee.

I'm still puzzled as to why this problem suddenly popped up on my machine, as its configuration has been quite static for months.

IP Logged

D. Webb

Reply #49 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 9:57pm

I tried the "Boot.ini /NOEXECUTE=OPTOUT" fix that Symantec Techsupport suggested.  No luck; same Blue Screen!
I uninstalled it yet again.
I reported it to Symantec;  Let's see how responsive they are.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #50 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 10:20pm

Thanks for the updates.

Did you see Ron Miller's post re 2 copies of PQ2Vi.sys in his C: drive?

IP Logged

D. Webb

Reply #51 - Jul 26th, 2005 at 11:10pm

Yes.  I read all of the posts in this forum and others  and checked out possible solutions prior to posting.  No extra copies of the PQV2i.sys file was found.  If you do a Google search on PQV2i.sys, it can be seen that there have been similar problems with this version of the product (Drive Image).  I'll be patient with Symantec Techhelp for a bit, at least to document that I've tried to resolve the problem.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #52 - Jul 27th, 2005 at 10:58am

I'm the guy who started this thread back in February.  Everything you see in my first post is still happening.  I only get the BSOD after my second reboot after backing up my partition that contains my O/S.  Two Symantec techies had me try several things and then they suddenly quit contacting me.

This is what I do now.  I use Ghost 9 to backup all my partitions except the one with my O/S.  I don't use the scheduler as I manually invoke each one.  Since I do this over a couple of hours or so I either watch a movie or do other chores around the house.  When I'm done I get out my Ghost 2003 boot CD and backup my O/S partition in DOS.  Then I get back into Win XP and do a backup of my O/S partition using Ghost 9.  I do two reboots so the BSOD can run its course.

Until Symantec fixes the problem I have a system that works.  I don't get the BSOD under any other circumstances.  In fact, Ghost 9 is the only software on my PC that generates a BSOD.  Frankly, I believe that Symantec's products wrap themselves up too much into the O/S and that is what causes this BSOD and many other problems that occur.

IP Logged

Daryl Cheshire

Reply #53 - Jul 27th, 2005 at 7:10pm

Pleonasm wrote on Jul 26th, 2005 at 1:40pm:
Daryl and D. Webb, the post by John (reply #43 on 25 Jul 2005 at 23:41) indicates that the BSOD issue only occurs if he “has scheduled backups and incrementals”.  Do you also schedule backups in Ghost 9.0?  If yes, can you avoid the BSOD issue by disabling the schedule?

No, I don't use the scheduled backup feature. And I get the BSOD anyway whether I use Ghost 9 or not. This is because you load pqv2i.sys anyway. I don't get the BSOD every time and it doesn't seem to matter if I use ghost or not. (I would uninstall it if it happened every time)

Daryl

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #54 - Jul 28th, 2005 at 12:15am

I've used Acronis TI as well. Without a problem. However any potential user should check the Acronis TI forum if they want to see reports of TI bugs. It's frightening.

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=65

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #55 - Jul 28th, 2005 at 2:02pm

The lesson of the story is this:  not all image backup products – whether Ghost 2003, Ghost 9.0 or True Image 8.0 – work in all PC configurations.  Therefore, in my opinion, the user has a responsibility to assess and to ensure a proper ‘fit’ between the application and the environment in which it is being used.

It is also logically false to infer that all products produced by a software company are flawed because of one’s own limited personal experience with a single product.

IP Logged

D. Webb

Reply #56 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 9:12pm

Well, I tried what Synmantec Techhelp suggested, with the same BSOD results.  I reinstalled Systemworks without Ghost, and it works just fine.  I think I'll keep it that way, and am seeing if Symantec will give me either an older  or newer (Ghost 10 is in pre-production...) version.  I'm not holding my breath either way.  I'll probably just do some manual backups, until I upgrade the whole package next year.  I'm disappointed with Ghost, but I'm happy with the rest of the package.  Since it cost me a net $0.00 the past 2 upgrades (w/ rebates), I don't feel too bad about ditching Ghost for awhile.  It's still frustating to have a program work flawlessly for 6 months, then suddenly quit working.

Thanks for the help!

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #57 - Aug 2nd, 2005 at 9:53pm

Quote:
"... I reinstalled Systemworks without Ghost, and it works just fine..."

Since you are already halfway there, for no more than
"grins and giggles"
you might try the technique described in the URL below:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11219...

El Pescador

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #58 - Aug 29th, 2005 at 9:56am

I started this thread over 6 months and have come to only one conclusion.  Symantec is unable or unwilling to help with the BSOD problem.  So after 10 months of Ghost 9 BSODs I did the sane thing - I uninstalled it and went back to Ghost 2003.  The DOS backups take no longer than the hot WinXP backups and I don't get anymore BSODs.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.  Ghost 2003 rules!

Quote:
FYI, I am still using Ghost 2003. With no problems. Some here like Ghost 9, but it is really Drive Image, which Symantec bought from PowerQuest, and all my faith, from dozens of (successfully) restored images, is in Ghost (not Drive Image). I heard Symantec is going to market the original Ghost (with networking support enabled) to corporate clients and jack up the price.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #59 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 9:02pm

Tom, it would be your best interest to read the recent review (August, 2005) of Acronis True Image 8.0 found at http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1847470,00.asp:
  • "...when we tried to restore single files using the Explore Image feature, which creates a mapped drive that points to the image files, we found our Word and PowerPoint files were corrupted and could not be opened. Text files, however, worked well. Acronis acknowledged the problem and fixed it during our testing."
Files were corrupted?  Good grief!

It is nice to know that Acronis responds to a request from PC Magazine quickly and efficiently.  Would the company respond to a typical user in the same manner?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print