Ghost 9 - BSOD! (Read 135943 times)
Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: Ghost 9 - BSOD!
Reply #60 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 9:41pm

Pleo's link may now be

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1847469,00.asp

Make sure you see the Acronis forum. It's enlightening.

IP Logged

mert2u

Reply #61 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 11:03pm

I've read all five pages.  I guess I'm lucky.  My problem with the pqv2i.sys file was just the opposite.  Even though a search proved that it was in the Windows\system32\drivers folder, right where it's supposed to be (Windows XP Pro OS), Ghost 9.0 could not find it, and therefore would not do a backup.  At least that probably prevented the BSOD!  I have bought Ghost 2003 on eBay, and am anxiously awaiting its arrival.

IP Logged

Reffolds
Ex Member

Reply #62 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 8:27am

I have a Toshiba laptop. I encountered a problem with TCP & had to rebuild the OS (WinXP SP2). Although I had NSW 2005, I had never used Norton Ghost. In fact I disabled it since it used to give me messages saying unable to connefct to service agent.

Anyway. I decided to start using it. I felt SO LUCKY when the day after taking my first bsackup, I had a BSOD and was able to recover successfully.

Now I realise that in fact Ghost is the problem. But I like the software so I want to coninue.

It has taken me 2 weeks to realise what the problem is because the BSOD went by so quick I couldn't read it. How do I freeze it? In the end I videod it and read it back on the TV.

What I can't understand is that immediately after a restore (the latest I have available), I can reboot successfully. Therefafter, I get the BSOD every time. So, I leave the machine running all the time (which I don't like), and when things get screwed up / I need to reboot, I get the BSOD, restore, and I can get going again. Now, I shall take a backup immediately before rebooting & hopefully lose nothing.

I see that Norton Ghost 2003 is supposed to be on my 2005 CD. Would I be better installing & using that?

Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #63 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 11:10am

Reffolds

Interesting detective work--and work-around!

Quote:
It has taken me 2 weeks to realise what the problem is because the BSOD went by so quick I couldn't read it.
How do I freeze it?

You may have your system set to *reboot on errors*--I think that is the default setting for WinXP.

I've read the reasoning is that most *problems* encountered in Windows *disappear* by rebooting the system--thus this setting reduces the number of *tech-support* inquires--because many do not try rebooting as a first choice for trouble-shooting!

To change that behavior:

Right click *My Computer*, select *Properties*
Click on the *Advanced* tab
Select *Startup and Recovery* *Settings*
Un-check *Automatic restart* under *System failure*

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Reffolds
Ex Member

Reply #64 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 2:27pm

Nightowl, many thanks. There is so much to learn / understand about WinXP.

I have now deleted file VSNAP.IDX and set up my backups to manual backup, and I am only going to do full standalone backups in future. Hopefully I will then be able to shutdown my machine and reboot without the BSOD

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #65 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 4:35pm

I read somewhere that it was believed that deleting the VSAMP.IDX files prevented the BSOD's.  Could you please share your source of information on this?

IP Logged

Darwin
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #66 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 4:28am

I'm new to this forum and i've read every post on this thread and tried all the suggestions but still had the BSOD with NG 9.0 as all of you have. I have found a fix for it.

My obversation:

BSOD occurs as a result of the service Norton Ghost disappearing from the services applet.

My Solution:

Uninstall NG 9.0 DO NOT REBOOT when asked.
Reinstall NG 9.0 DO NOT REBOOT when asked.
Open the Services applet in the control panel administrator tools and find the service Norton Ghost open the properties and set it to DISABLE. Reboot your computer.
After you reboot you will receive a msg about NG not being able to run because the service is disabled just click ok and open the services applet again. Change the Norton Ghost service to MANUAL save and start the service the x will disappear in the icon and NG will run fine at this point. Next open the service applet again and set the service to AUTOMATIC save changes and reboot. Problem fixed.

Let me know if this works for you. It worked on all 5 systems i was having the issue on.

Darwin

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #67 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 4:51am

Now that sounds interesting. Looking forward to replies from those with the BSOD problem.

IP Logged

Darwin
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #68 - Oct 17th, 2005 at 11:17am

Brian wrote on Oct 17th, 2005 at 4:51am:
Now that sounds interesting. Looking forward to replies from those with the BSOD problem.

Hehe, me too!  I did talk with Symantec and informed them of my findings as well.  For any of you who do not know Symantec has a 60-day return policy on thier software.  If you are within the 60-days from purchase send it back and get Norton Ghost 10.0 instead.  Until then, Hope this works for you.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #69 - Oct 18th, 2005 at 9:42pm

Darwin, I'm surprised. Where are the replies?

IP Logged

Darwin
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #70 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 12:19pm

Yeah I check ever day or two but haven't seen one singe post! You'd think that with all the issues discussed we'd heard from someone by now.  All 5 systems I ran this procedure on are still fully functional and doing backups without a hiccup.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #71 - Oct 19th, 2005 at 12:59pm

Darwin, have you been able to confirm (through your own testing) that Ghost 10.0 solves the BSOD issue?

IP Logged

Darwin
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #72 - Oct 20th, 2005 at 7:35am

No I have not received the upgraded 10.0 as of yet. Should be here this week.  However my previous post fixed the 9.0 issue.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #73 - Oct 22nd, 2005 at 1:23am

Darwin, can you pinpoint the common factor with your five computers that led to the Ghost service disappearing?

IP Logged

Darwin
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #74 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 4:43pm

The service disappearing issue is a bug in the 9.0 software according to Symantec.  It is suppose to be fixed in 10.0 but again according to Symantec they have been unable to resolve the issue in 9.0

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print