Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9 - BSOD! (Read 135949 times)
Darwin
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Ghost 9 - BSOD!
Reply #75 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 4:44pm

I still can't beleive there has not been more posts on this thread though!!

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #76 - Oct 28th, 2005 at 6:16pm

Darwin wrote on Oct 23rd, 2005 at 4:43pm:
The service disappearing issue is a bug in the 9.0 software according to Symantec.  It is suppose to be fixed in 10.0 but again according to Symantec they have been unable to resolve the issue in 9.0

Darwin, the BSOD problem is obviously rare. Any theories on why it happened on 5 of your computers?

IP Logged

Darwin
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #77 - Oct 29th, 2005 at 2:00am

Yes. I discovered it was the bios revision on each of these motherboards. A simple flash did not fix the issues i had to actually replace the bios on each one of these motherboards to fix the problem correctly.

IP Logged

jimmy jones

Reply #78 - Nov 4th, 2005 at 1:20am

My new - Aug 05 - dual core system started sponaneously rebooting, blue screening, etc. No apparent changes after system was built and running stabily for several months- just suddenly started happening - interestingly running Norton GoBack seemed to help, but then the automatic updates (SWP 2005? or Spyware Doctor) seemed to cause it to reappear.
GeForce 6600 GT video card - PCIX.
Abit AW8Max with latest flash 14(?) and updated Nvidia drivers
I believed I had it down to Ghost - by turning off the tray icon, but then it still continues only less frequently.
I'm going to try the the fix listed here. I agree with all that's been said about Ghost 2003 - it worked and it worked well.
I'm always wondering if the problem is some poorly written software that doesn't properly mult-thread - which a dual cpu will find out and crash upon sooner or later..
Thanks to all who have posted here.!

IP Logged

Manikandan

Reply #79 - Dec 15th, 2005 at 10:09am

Hi,

To Resolve BSOD issue with Win XP SP2  DEP is the main issue here
Edit Boot.ini and change the NoExecute=Optin to NoExecute=AlwaysOff

Thsi can happen if the pagefile.sys is set on a different Partion ( it should be on the Local Drive

Make sure that the Virtual Memory for Xp OS is said to be on that drive itself

Cheers
Manikandan

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #80 - Dec 16th, 2005 at 1:13pm

Quote:
Hi,

To Resolve BSOD issue with Win XP SP2  DEP is the main issue here
Edit Boot.ini and change the NoExecute=Optin to NoExecute=AlwaysOff

Thsi can happen if the pagefile.sys is set on a different Partion ( it should be on the Local Drive

Make sure that the Virtual Memory for Xp OS is said to be on that drive itself

Cheers
Manikandan

Has this been provened to work to get rid of the BSOD?  I think my main problem was not having the pagefile on the same partition as my OS.  I didn't know that DEP could be shut off for everything.  It is a pain.

IP Logged

Brett

Reply #81 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 10:31am

Don't waste your time on a bloated program like Ghost. PQ Drive Image was flawless. Acronis True Image 8 & 9 is amazing. With great tech support.
http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/
Check it out for yourself!

IP Logged

Opi

Reply #82 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 11:57am

I have solved the problem with PQV2i.sys by removing StyleXP.
Even the last bit of it in the registry.
I scanned the registry with RegSeeker and it still found 44 traces of StyleXP.
After a reboot Ghost 9 worked smoothley.
I hope it works for you too.
Good Luck from OPI

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #83 - Mar 14th, 2006 at 1:12pm

StyleXP messed up a lot of stuff for me too.

IP Logged

Chad

Reply #84 - May 14th, 2006 at 12:29pm

Darwin wrote on Oct 17th, 2005 at 4:28am:
I'm new to this forum and i've read every post on this thread and tried all the suggestions but still had the BSOD with NG 9.0 as all of you have. I have found a fix for it.

My obversation:

BSOD occurs as a result of the service Norton Ghost disappearing from the services applet.

My Solution:

Uninstall NG 9.0 DO NOT REBOOT when asked.
Reinstall NG 9.0 DO NOT REBOOT when asked.
Open the Services applet in the control panel administrator tools and find the service Norton Ghost open the properties and set it to DISABLE. Reboot your computer.
After you reboot you will receive a msg about NG not being able to run because the service is disabled just click ok and open the services applet again. Change the Norton Ghost service to MANUAL save and start the service the x will disappear in the icon and NG will run fine at this point. Next open the service applet again and set the service to AUTOMATIC save changes and reboot. Problem fixed.

Let me know if this works for you. It worked on all 5 systems i was having the issue on.

Darwin

This works! Apart from the following...

Once you've reinstalled NG 9.0 and disabled the service you need to rename \windows\system32\drivers\PQV2i.sys to something else then reboot. After the reboot and the msg then rename the file back to it's orginal name before starting the service Manually as described above... good luck...!

IP Logged

cpk1951
Ex Member

Reply #85 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 8:21pm

texdawg wrote on Feb 7th, 2005 at 7:58pm:
I’m running WinXP Pro / SP2 on my PC.

A few weeks ago I introduced a subject concerning system restart problems after running certain backups on my PC using Norton Ghost 9.  I’ve since upgraded to Ghost 9.02 and my problem continues to persist.

Background – I have 2 hard drives on my system.  My first drive has two partitions, c:\ and e:\.  My second hard drive has 6 partitions, d:\, f:\, i:\, j:\, k:\ and l:\.  My PC is dual boot.  I have Win98SE on drive #1, c:\ partition and WinXP Pro / SP2 on drive #2, d:\ partition.  I’ve been running this configuration since January 30, 2002.  I use WinXP Pro about 99% of the time and the remainder I use Win98SE.

I had been using Norton Ghost 2002 and then Ghost 2003 until Symantec came out with Ghost 9.  Ghost 9 is Symantec’s adaptation of Powerquest’s Drive Image product.  I installed Ghost 9 on my PC back in November 2004.

I can comfortably back up any of my partitions on either of my drives with no problems except for when I do a backup of my d:\ partition which houses my WinXP Pro OS.  Initially I was having reboot problems after backup up my d:\ partition because of some unknown error that was being created by Ghost 9.  I turned off “Automatically restart” under System Failure so I could generate a BSOD to get some idea of my problem.  Sure enough I now get a BSOD and it says it was caused by a driver named pqv2i.sys.  The error message I get is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.  I hit my reset button to reboot and I don’t get the error again until I back up my d:\ partition again.

Attempting to do some research before sending this note I did find some clues.  Pqv2i.sys is a driver used by Ghost 9 and it was brought over from Drive Image.  I discovered that pqv2i.sys also had (has) a BSOD problem in the past.  The problem further seems to be related to a file created on each partition named vsnap.idx.  Temporarily deleting this file supposedly before rebooting prevents the BSOD problem albeit a poor workaround.  What is more interesting is that once you back up a partition and reboot Ghost 9 starts some process to run which triggers pqv2i.sys and it executes during either shutdown, startup or both.  On my PC this process somehow goes awry and creates the aforementioned BSOD.

In reference to the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA there are two causes to this problem.  (1) Bad memory on the MOBO or video card or (2) shoddy software.  I believe my problem is the latter as I can pinpoint it to Ghost 9’s pqv2i.sys driver.  

Where do I go from here?

IP Logged

Vicentin
Ex Member

Reply #86 - Aug 7th, 2008 at 6:29pm

Hi.

I resolved this issue changing the Norton Ghost service from automatic to manual. The service is then started by the GhostTray application so there is no chance for the service to be started at startup so the BSOD symptom disappears.

I have Windows 2000 with SP5.

Regards.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print