Send Topic Print
Ghost 9 - BSOD! (Read 135959 times)
texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost 9 - BSOD!
Feb 7th, 2005 at 7:58pm

I’m running WinXP Pro / SP2 on my PC.

A few weeks ago I introduced a subject concerning system restart problems after running certain backups on my PC using Norton Ghost 9.  I’ve since upgraded to Ghost 9.02 and my problem continues to persist.

Background – I have 2 hard drives on my system.  My first drive has two partitions, c:\ and e:\.  My second hard drive has 6 partitions, d:\, f:\, i:\, j:\, k:\ and l:\.  My PC is dual boot.  I have Win98SE on drive #1, c:\ partition and WinXP Pro / SP2 on drive #2, d:\ partition.  I’ve been running this configuration since January 30, 2002.  I use WinXP Pro about 99% of the time and the remainder I use Win98SE.

I had been using Norton Ghost 2002 and then Ghost 2003 until Symantec came out with Ghost 9.  Ghost 9 is Symantec’s adaptation of Powerquest’s Drive Image product.  I installed Ghost 9 on my PC back in November 2004.

I can comfortably back up any of my partitions on either of my drives with no problems except for when I do a backup of my d:\ partition which houses my WinXP Pro OS.  Initially I was having reboot problems after backup up my d:\ partition because of some unknown error that was being created by Ghost 9.  I turned off “Automatically restart” under System Failure so I could generate a BSOD to get some idea of my problem.  Sure enough I now get a BSOD and it says it was caused by a driver named pqv2i.sys.  The error message I get is PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA.  I hit my reset button to reboot and I don’t get the error again until I back up my d:\ partition again.

Attempting to do some research before sending this note I did find some clues.  Pqv2i.sys is a driver used by Ghost 9 and it was brought over from Drive Image.  I discovered that pqv2i.sys also had (has) a BSOD problem in the past.  The problem further seems to be related to a file created on each partition named vsnap.idx.  Temporarily deleting this file supposedly before rebooting prevents the BSOD problem albeit a poor workaround.  What is more interesting is that once you back up a partition and reboot Ghost 9 starts some process to run which triggers pqv2i.sys and it executes during either shutdown, startup or both.  On my PC this process somehow goes awry and creates the aforementioned BSOD.

In reference to the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA there are two causes to this problem.  (1) Bad memory on the MOBO or video card or (2) shoddy software.  I believe my problem is the latter as I can pinpoint it to Ghost 9’s pqv2i.sys driver. 

Where do I go from here?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: Ghost 9 - BSOD!
Reply #1 - Feb 7th, 2005 at 11:37pm

"I have only five words for you..."

"Norton Ghost Two Thousand Three !!!"

El Pescador

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 12:53am

FYI, I am still using Ghost 2003. With no problems. Some here like Ghost 9, but it is really Drive Image, which Symantec bought from PowerQuest, and all my faith, from dozens of (successfully) restored images, is in Ghost (not Drive Image). I heard Symantec is going to market the original Ghost (with networking support enabled) to corporate clients and jack up the price.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 8:35am

I passed my information on to Symantec's customer support.  Lets see what they say (ha).  They'll probably want me to uninstall/reinstall Systemworks 2005 or reformat my HD's and reinstall WinXP from scratch as in the end they don't really know (or care) what the cause of my problem really is.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #4 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 1:27pm

Clevelandtxus , I too encountered the PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error – but ONLY after installing the first version of the Ghost 9.0.2 update.  I have not yet installed the second (current) version of that update to see if the problem persists.

Did you also encounter this error when using Ghost 9.0 – or, only with Ghost 9.0.2?

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Feb 8th, 2005 at 1:52pm

Pleonasm - Both

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 4:29pm

A posting on the Symantec.CustomerService.General forum describes one's person success with Ghost 9.0.2, in which the individual implemented the Data Execution Prevention policy fix (see Symantec KnowledgeBase article #2004101410380862), and then reinstalled Ghost 9.0.

Not having attempted the procedure myself, I can't say whether or not it is critical to apply the DEP fix BEFORE upgrading to Ghost 9.0.2.

Clevelandtxus, please let us all know if you test this idea (uninstall Ghost, apply DEP fix, reinstall Ghost 9.0, upgrade to Ghost 9.0.2), and whether it succeeds.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2005 at 5:43pm

When I first got the BSOD problem it was with Ghost 9.0.  I did the DEP stuff to no avail.

When the first version of Ghost 9.02 came up I had the installation problem that we all experienced.  At that time I unstalled Ghost 9.02 and resinstalled Ghost 9.0 from the NSW installation CD. 

Last week I updated to the second Ghost 9.02 release.  I still have the problem with the DEP setting in effect when I did the install.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 10:45am

texdawg wrote on Feb 9th, 2005 at 5:43pm:
When I first got the BSOD problem it was with Ghost 9.0.  I did the DEP stuff to no avail.

When the first version of Ghost 9.02 came up I had the installation problem that we all experienced.  At that time I unstalled Ghost 9.02 and resinstalled Ghost 9.0 from the NSW installation CD.  

Last week I updated to the second Ghost 9.02 release.  I still have the problem with the DEP setting in effect when I did the install.

I'm actively working with Symantec in solving (trying to solve) the BSOD problem.  I tried some things this weekend that Symantec Support suggested but they were unsuccessful which I reported this morning back to Symantec.  At 2 to 3 days between contacts this may be awhile.

One thing that seems to be apparent is that the BSOD problem occurs on systems with WinXP SP2.  Is there anyone on this forum getting BSOD's with WinXP SP1 / Ghost 9?  Is there anyone on this forum not getting BDOS's with WinXP SP2 / Ghost 9?

To anyone who doesn't have the problem please report  your O/S and hardware configuration.  Likewise for those who are getting the BSOD's with Ghost 9 report the same.  Perhaps some common factor in our hardware configurations, like a particular brand of video card, could lend to some clues.

Until proven guilty, Symantec is innocent.  Ha!

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #9 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 2:41pm

Clevelandtxus, I am running Windows XP Professional SP2 on a Compaq Presario 8000T, and have never received a 'blue screen of death' error with Ghost 9.0 - nor with the first version of the Ghost 9.0.2 release.  (I have not yet updated Ghost with the new [current] Ghost 9.0.2 download.)

I did receive a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error once with the first release of the Ghost 9.0.2 update; but, after returning to Ghost 9.0, the error has never appeared again.

Please let us know how your discussion with Symantec proceeds.  And, it would be of interests to all to learn what was updated/fixed with Ghost 9.0.2 – so, if you can, please ask Symantec and post the reply.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #10 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 4:20pm

It difference why some get the BSOD and some not could be as simple as which video card we use or don't use.  Outside of the WinXP O/S and Ghost 9 which we have in common is a world of variety.  The video card we use, the sound card, the CD writer, the DVD writer, etc, plus a whole host of applications.

I'll keep this forum posted as my adventure continues.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - Mar 1st, 2005 at 8:10pm

Pleonasm wrote on Feb 14th, 2005 at 2:41pm:
Clevelandtxus, I am running Windows XP Professional SP2 on a Compaq Presario 8000T, and have never received a 'blue screen of death' error with Ghost 9.0 - nor with the first version of the Ghost 9.0.2 release.  (I have not yet updated Ghost with the new [current] Ghost 9.0.2 download.)

I did receive a PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA error once with the first release of the Ghost 9.0.2 update; but, after returning to Ghost 9.0, the error has never appeared again.

Please let us know how your discussion with Symantec proceeds.  And, it would be of interests to all to learn what was updated/fixed with Ghost 9.0.2 – so, if you can, please ask Symantec and post the reply.

Symantec is still working on my problem.  They assigned a new techie to help work out my BSOD page fault problem.  Got new things to try.  The first techie hadn't got back to me in a long time.  The new techie was very apologetic.  I guess they monitor this stuff.

Here is what they told me about the changes in 9.0.2:

"Also, Symantec has done few minor cosmetic changes and added few extra drivers for external devices like DVD, CD and USB devices to Ghost 9.02. These minor changes have not been documented on our knowledge base. "

IP Logged

Fabiano Cruz

Reply #12 - Mar 6th, 2005 at 11:09am

Hi,

I bought a new HD and tried to ghost the system to it. I have a dual boot (Win98 and WinXP/SP2) system.
I can boot on win98 but the WinXP freezes on boot (at the blue screen).

I used ghost 2003 and ghost 9 but the problem remains...

Any clues?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #13 - Mar 6th, 2005 at 5:17pm

Fabiano Cruz

Are you cloning the working HDD to the new HDD and then putting the new HDD in place of the old working HDD and testing the dual boot?

Compare the 'boot.ini' file on the working HDD to the one on the cloned HDD (print them out so you can compare them side by side).  Are they the same or are there differences?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #14 - Mar 7th, 2005 at 1:32pm

As an FYI, I upgraded from Ghost 9.0 to Ghost 9.0.2 - and it worked flawlessly.  The download completed on the first attempt, and LiveUpdate did not prompt for the installation of the same update thereafter.

No BSOD or page fault errors have occurred to-date with Ghost 9.0.2 on my PC.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print