Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How to write company name in url? (Read 4539 times)
Qumad_Al-Riyf
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

How to write company name in url?
Mar 17th, 2005 at 12:25pm

Hi, I got a problem and thought maby some of you could help me out here.

I'm gona try and start a company and I need to know if there have been made any enquirys (research) about how to write urls for ppl to remember them better (getting there at first try)

My company name is gona consist of 2 words, so my problem is if it should be (example):

www.Big-Lager.com
or
www.BigLager.com

Aalso interested in other enquirys that are made about how ppl think of the net and so on, like, do you need www.CompanyName.com or would CompanyName.com work just as well when ppl read it on accesiores, buisnes cards, on your car and so on.

So if anyone know of any websites with these kinds of informantion or somehting I would be extremely thankfull.

Cheers

IP Logged

Quentin

Re: How to write company name in url?
Reply #1 - Mar 17th, 2005 at 1:58pm

Small letters is always better

big-lager

IP Logged

Qumad_Al-Riyf
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Mar 23rd, 2005 at 2:55pm

Is it?

I gues it makes no real difference if I use the - between the words but if its all in one word then wouldent capital letters in eatch word make it easyer for ppl to read?

I mean when my car drives by you on the street and you see the url on the side then (in case of both words in on) youd imediatly know that a new word started at the second capital letter hence making it easyer to read and understand?

But I gues if I could find some enquirys about this topic they might have something about this aswell.

Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Angus

Reply #3 - Mar 23rd, 2005 at 8:30pm

Some servers are case-sensitive. So if you make it one way, and they type the other, then they might get an error and think your site went offline. It is easier for people to type small letters.

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #4 - Mar 25th, 2005 at 5:57pm

Quote:
Some servers are case-sensitive. So if you make it one way, and they type the other, then they might get an error and think your site went offline. It is easier for people to type small letters.

I could be wrong, but I though primary domain names were always case-insensitive.  Getting to the domain depends on all the distributed DNS servers worldwide to get to the biglager.com server first, and I thought those were all case-insensitive.  Once you get to biglager.com, subdomains and subdirectories (e.g., "Qumad.biglager.com" or "biglager.com/Qumad") would depend on the biglager server and might be case-sensitive if the server is configured that way.

Note we're making a distinction here between the biglager primary domain server (which routes traffic to its own subdomains) and DNS servers (which route traffic destined to other external domains).  I think DNS servers worldwide pass traffic along by primary domain only and are always case-insensitive.

As to Qumad's original question, I don't have any strong opinions, but I'd probably leave out the hyphens just because it's harder to say when verbally communicating the domain name.  Biglager.com and biglager.com should be the same as far as domain registration is concerned, so you could register as biglager.com and still advertise as BigLager.com.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print