Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 9.0 gives an error for undocumented PQI file (Read 163010 times)
stoopid
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Ghost 9.0 gives an error for undocumented PQI
Reply #75 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 5:30pm

I'll try the verification test, but my image averages 100-120GB of the 160GB drive, so no spare space to test with.  If it verifies with the recovery disk I will consider that success.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Smiley

I'm also looking to get a v10 recovery disc, assuming the 9 doesn't work.

Does this 'solution' mean there's a corrupt file on the original ghost 9 disc or a version of one of the core components that got updated later on?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #76 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 5:42pm

I suggest you study this site re backups. Your backup technique is inefficient and you would benefit from an OS and a data partition.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#13

IP Logged

stoopid
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #77 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 10:18pm

I got my hands on a Ghost 10 bootable disc and I was able to verify the image, so it appears everything is magically fine now...

This system of doing a weekly backup is the easiest, most effective means for me to have my data and apps backed up for a possible hard drive failure.  I find incrementals leaves more room for software error.  I simple have a second hard drive with twice the capacity and always have one image (last weeks) saved until the new image is completed and verified by ghost.  It's hardly "inefficient".  it's actually quite effective since the only time I would be using the image I create is if the primary/backed-up drive fails.  This is for my home setup, not for a client.  Most of the business clients use veritas, which comes with its own issues as you're probably well aware.  :p

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #78 - Nov 3rd, 2006 at 11:05pm

I didn't mean to be so brief. I should have said, "See if this suits you." Separation of the OS from data files is what I was suggesting as you can back them up differently. This concept is outlined in Dan's tutorial.

Quote:
I got my hands on a Ghost 10 bootable disc and I was able to verify the image, so it appears everything is magically fine now...

Good news. I'm a little confused. Couldn't you verify from the Ghost 9 CD?

IP Logged

stoopid
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #79 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 12:24am

No problem Brian.

I didn't even try the 9 disc because I ended up getting the v10 disc and didn't want to waste time trying 9 just to find out it didn't work.  I'll keep the v10 disc for restores and the retail v9 30MB package for installs.  All symantec cares is that you have a valid key.

The bottom line is that no matter what I tried I couldn't get my copy of v9 to work.  It wasn't until I tried the smaller, non-bootable version that this started to work again.  I find that highly suspect, and if I had to guess their release of the bootable CD was premature and fixed their mistake later on in the downloadable/non-boot package.  We'll see if more people use this as a solution.   That will be all the 'proof' we need of the cause...

IP Logged

stoopid
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #80 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 12:30am

Brian wrote on Nov 3rd, 2006 at 5:42pm:
I suggest you study this site re backups. Your backup technique is inefficient and you would benefit from an OS and a data partition.

http://www.goodells.net/multiboot/notes.htm#13

Great link BTW, and accurate to boot!    Wink  I never actually gave much thought to the differences between cloning and imaging.  Thank god for imaging...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #81 - Nov 4th, 2006 at 12:35am

stoopid wrote on Nov 4th, 2006 at 12:24am:
  I'll keep the v10 disc for restores and the retail v9 30MB package for installs. 

I've found that Ghost 10 will restore a ver 9 image but Ghost 9 will only occasionally restore a ver 10 image. It usually gives an error.

IP Logged

stoopid
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #82 - Nov 8th, 2006 at 11:27am

Same issues again.  Got the first backup to work, verified with ghost 10 bootcd, but this week's backup failed.

I'm officially at a loss.  There's obviously a bigger issue going on here based on the response here and on other sites.  I'm going to have to add ghost to a long list of software I cannot get to work.

IP Logged

stoopid
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #83 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 3:46pm

Hi, it's me again.  lol

Tried True Image, and during the verification it failed.  So I determined that I would change around drives on the ide cable.  Loaded ghost again, got through the first backup... now to see if it works next week.  I haven't given up, but the fact True IMage also failed, and I don't believe it's the same PQI engine, indicated a problem in my configuration.  Why this suddenly became a problem beats me.  Perhaps I've always been riding the edge of stability or data integrity with transfers between the drives and something finally pushed my system over that edge.  Your guess is as good as mine, and I'll report back later next week to report if it's still a ghost issue or a problem resulting from a flakey ide setup.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #84 - Nov 17th, 2006 at 6:54pm

stoopid,

It does sound like a problem with your computer. Two different imaging apps with similar errors. Could you check your RAM with Memtest86+  Run it overnight.

http://www.memtest.org/

In the Acronis TI forum there are frequent discussions about faulty RAM causing image problems.

IP Logged

stoopid
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #85 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 6:21am

Ghost works now.  Appears I was getting data corruption between ide drives.

Now for a partial admission of fault - I originally had both hard drives on the same cable (see username Wink ).  It really has to do with placement of storage devices in my crowded mini tower (HTPC).  I surrendered to having to attach mounts so the second hard drive could go into the 5.25" slot under the dvdrw drive, and thus be a slave on that ide cable/channel rather than be a slave with the main hard drive on the same channel.

My original thinking was that this was working for many many months and then stopped.  Seeing others with the same problem confirmed my fears, but it seems I was wrong in my initial conclusions.

The way IDE controllers work (been a while since my A+ class, but here goes) is that the devices on the same cable/channel cannot be performing tasks at the same time.  It's not that it refuses to copy data, but it puts a lot of stress on the controller to do its job, having to constantly start reading from one drive to stop for a millisecond to write that data to the other drive.  This will slow things down as well as increase the potential for errors. In all that extra work a one or zero gets lost and data verification will obviously fail.

I probably should have looked up the details of ide technology on wikipedia/about.com or something before posting this as I'm sure some of it is wrong, but it's really not important I understand why so long as I follow the rule to have storage devices on separate ide cables/channels whenever possible.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #86 - Nov 22nd, 2006 at 1:54pm

stoopid,

I'm really pleased you have a solution. I hope NightOwl reads your post because he did some testing on drive placement on IDE cables and has some interesting figures.

Did you try replacing the IDE cable?

IP Logged

MCDP
Dude

I am not sure if I love
YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #87 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 10:33pm

It's been awhile since I have visited this thread, but the problem documented by stoopid seems to conform to my earlier thoughts. I am wondering if stoopid had ran ECC or registered RAM (OK, registered is overkill for a home system, but ECC?) if this problem would have manifested itself differently?

We all do stupid stuff when building our own rigs (otherwise I would be the next Michael Dell) which is why I like the added insurance of ECC (not that my laptop has any, so who am I to point fingers. Well, it is a Dell! But then again, I deleted all their hidden and not so hidden partitions, GHOST 2003 don't fail me now!)

IP Logged

stoopid
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #88 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 6:15am

MCDP wrote on Dec 19th, 2006 at 10:33pm:
It's been awhile since I have visited this thread, but the problem documented by stoopid seems to conform to my earlier thoughts. I am wondering if stoopid had ran ECC or registered RAM (OK, registered is overkill for a home system, but ECC?) if this problem would have manifested itself differently?

We all do stupid stuff when building our own rigs (otherwise I would be the next Michael Dell) which is why I like the added insurance of ECC (not that my laptop has any, so who am I to point fingers. Well, it is a Dell! But then again, I deleted all their hidden and not so hidden partitions, GHOST 2003 don't fail me now!)

No ECC in the computer.  Because it turned out to be directly related to over-tasking the ide controller with 2 drives on the same channel, I'm not sure a change in memory type would have mattered.

Based on the research I have done in order to solve my problem, I didn't see any pattern in causes.  Even Symantec's suggestions are rather generic.  I think the error is a general error for any time the image is corrupt or compromised in some manner.

IP Logged

MCDP
Dude

I am not sure if I love
YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #89 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 9:02am

My point was that ECC RAM may have trapped the bad calls the IDE controller was sending and either corrected the problem or halted the process? More generally, I much rather have an image write fail than succeed only to discover months later that the image is corrupted because a solar flare occurred during the write process.

A 100 GB image is a lot of 1's and 0's that have to be exactly right with no mistakes whereas I may never discover the one file that was corrupted in a back up process of 100 GB of data files.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 
Send Topic Print