Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Test Bootable Floppy (Read 132480 times)
NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Test Bootable Floppy
Reply #30 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 3:05am

olamoree

That's somewhat weird behavior--being able to boot to *Safe Mode* one time--and then not again.

All of this sounds like there's some *problem* with the BING installation and useage--and your attempt to create that *boot.ini*--it sounds like something is being loaded during boot that is causing a system error/conflict.

That *SymSnap.sys and I investigated that and find it is a Symantec file from SNapShotDevelopment Edition Storage Craft Volume*--is that associated with Ghost 10?

I'm running out of ideas to try with the *present* system--another *recovery* idea could be tried--called a *parallel Windows install*--this is where you take your installation CD for Windows and boot from it, do a clean install on the C:\ partition (you have to have enough room), but choose a different installation directory like *Windows2*--you're not re-formatting, repairing, or over-writing your original Windows installation--just a second install--your original *Windows* directory remains untouched.

The hope is that the second install corrects whatever initial boot conflict that is occurring and allows you to boot to a functional new copy of WinXP.

You then have an operational WinXP OS--if you repair your optical burner problem--you should have access to the Ghost 10 download and the *Recovery Disk* .iso.  Boot to the 'Recovery Disk' attempt to restore your backup of your original C:\ partition.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #31 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 12:00pm

I am still having problems getting my boot disk. I followed the Easter Egg. After the Create an MS-DOS Start up disk, I closed the box and right clicked on the A drive, but it does not give me the option to delete the files. Do I fomat at this point? I can double left click on A drive to open it,then delete all the files on individually. Is that is what I am supposed to do?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #32 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 1:32pm

WilliamP

Quote:
I can double left click on A drive to open it,then delete all the files on individually. Is that is what I am supposed to do?

Yes--it's a *manual* operation--you are deciding to alter the contents of that *MS-DOS Startup Disk*--this is not a *default* Windows behavior.  

You can highlite the first file, hold down the *Shift* key and then left click on the last file--this will highlite all the files in that *range*.  Then delete them all at once.

Alternatively, you can hold down the *Ctrl* key, and left click each file you wish to select--each file you click will then be highlited, and you can delete the bunch all at once.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #33 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 2:21pm

Does the Zipped file from the web  go on the floppy zipped ? If it does, at what point is it unzipped? I want to thank you for your help.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #34 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 3:36pm

WilliamP

Quote:
Does the Zipped file from the web  go on the floppy zipped ?

No. 

Once you have downloaded the zipped file to your HDD, you can *extract* the files to the floppy--or *extract* the files to a directory on your HDD and then copy the files to the floppy.

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #35 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 3:56pm

Just want to get this straight. Delete everything from the floppy including the  MODE DOS Application.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #36 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 4:20pm

WilliamP

Quote:
Delete everything from the floppy including the  MODE DOS Application.

Yes--if you want to use *Sirhc's* boot script that is included in the download--then you use only the files contained in his zipped file--plus add the *ghost.exe* executable.  The *Easter Egg* step is simply to create an *MS-DOS* bootable disk onto which to save the boot files in the zipped file.

Just to be sure, you did see this comment in reply #1:

Quote:
Having said all the above, I'm not sure what the advantage of following Sirhc's outline is...unless it's to create a boot disk without ever installing Ghost 2003 onto your WinXP system (in which case you will have to 'grab' Ghost.exe from the DOS sub-directory on the CD

IP Logged

olamoree
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Costa Rica

Reply #37 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 4:52pm

Thanks NightOwl.  Yes, a parallel install sounds possible and I will give it a try.  Are there any special precautions that you could give me?  Too bad I can leave off IE and OE during the install as they might overwrite me present installation... or would it?  Come on, talk me into it!

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #38 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 4:52pm

Bless you my friend. I appreciate the help. Have a good day.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #39 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 6:12pm

olamoree

I'll be honest--I have only read about doing this--sounded like there would be few issues--any *common* files that are installed should be the same as what was originally installed (I'm assuming you are using the same installlation CD--I noted you said originally you had WinXP SP1--and then used a *slip-streamed WinXP SP2 in one of your latter attempts to solve the problems--mixin' and matchin' can have unknown effects!).

And, because you are not re-formatting--any files and settings since the first install that are not part of the install should be untouched by the second install--like data files--but the new install will not *inherit* the settings of the previous install--unless the *config or ini* files are a shared item that do not get over-written during install.

But, persumably, those are mute points if your intention is to use Ghost 10 to restore your previous backup image using the *Recovery Disk*--the *new install* will have never existed once you use the image and restore the C:\ partition. 

You must use the *Recovery Disk*--you can not restore an OS partition that you are running Ghost 10 from!

Make sure you are restoring the *master boot record* as part of the restore!

Of course--you have done a bunch of things to the system trying to trouble shoot--hard to say what unknow *kinks* may occur doing a second install! 

And, did you do an integrity check on that original backup image to be sure it's good?  And everything hinges on a successful restore using Ghost--sometimes that doesn't work out for some folks for whatever reason!

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #40 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 6:13pm

WilliamP

You're welcome!

Report back with the results of your efforts!

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #41 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 7:11pm

Night Owl everytime I try to put Ghost into the floppy it says the disk is full. When I check properties it isn't. There is an empty Ghost folder on the floppy. What am I supposed to look for in the program file. There is Ghost with .98MB in it. I have tried[ copy and paste] also[ send to]. I didn't actually see anything that said Ghost EXE.

IP Logged

olamoree
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Costa Rica

Reply #42 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 7:36pm

Thanks again NightOwl.  I Googled on Parallel Windows Install and found a few sites.....

This one:  http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/installxpcdparallell/indexfullpage.htm
gives a step by step, but really, no caveats....  but then I went to
their forum: http://www.probz.com/bbs/index.htm and on Page 1, Subject:  "Is it time for an XP Reinstall?"  The moderator, the same author of XP Reinstall above, says, "Make sure you save everything you don't want to loose onto a cd or 3rd party backup device, as all on the drive will be lost."
So is that a caveat or not?  lol   In the Reinstall guide above, there is no mention of backups and at the end, it even implies that drivers "may" have to be reinstalled.....  I have a DiskImage of the screwed up C: drive, for what that is worth.  It would be "difficult" to extract individual files from that.
So I am hinging everything on the Ghost10 backup.....

M$ offers this:  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316941#XSLTH315312112212...

with even less information......

What do you think?  Is it time for an XP Parallel Install?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #43 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 8:40pm

olamoree

Quote:
So I am hinging everything on the Ghost10 backup.....

Well,....it all depends on how important your data is on that drive.  You said it's a FAT32 partition--you have a Win98 system that can read FAT32 partitions--you have options....

You could get another HDD and another copy of Ghost and *clone* the current *bad* HDD to the other HDD--use the new other HDD clone to do the parallel install so that the original is still untouched for possible future recovery if things don't go well on the *test* HDD.  If the parallel install works and you are able to recovery the other Ghost 10 *Recovery Disk* .iso, able to use it to restore your image successfully--you're back in business--with a spare HDD to use for whatever.

If something goes wrong, you still have your original to work with for some other try.

Basically--each time you have tried some *recovery* effort, you have been at risk of loosing it all, being as the system is flakey and not responding in a positive fashion.

You will have to decide how fast you want to proceed--and, what additional precautions to take--unfortunately, I have no way to know if your Ghost image will work successfully on your system--only you can determine that--and you have to make the decision as to how to *safely* proceed from here.

You have never answered the question as to whether you can access the Ghost *Recovery Disk* .iso that's needed to create the *Recovery Disk*--if you can get that and have the *Recovery Disk* burned on someone else's system--you would at least have that to work with--I would still want to have a spare HDD and try my recovery to the spare HDD and keep the original for safe keeping until I knew everything was going to work okay.

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #44 - Nov 20th, 2005 at 9:03pm

Night Owl I have XP Pro SP2  and have Ghost loaded. If I go to the boot Wizard and create a boot floppy, will I have what I need to boot this thing?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print