Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Test Bootable Floppy (Read 132118 times)
NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Test Bootable Floppy
Reply #45 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 1:08am

WilliamP

Quote:
everytime I try to put Ghost into the floppy it says the disk is full

Your floppy can hold a max of 1.44 MB (approx. 1440 KB)--total up the files on the floppy--if there isn't at least .98 MB (approx. 980 KB still free, then the Ghost executable will not fit and you will get that error.

Quote:
I didn't actually see anything that said Ghost EXE

Sounds like you do not have your *folder view settings* set to show the file *extensions*.

Open Windows Explorer or My Computer, click on *Tools/Folder Options ... *, click on the *View* tab:

Select:  *Show hidden files and folders*
Uncheck:  *Hide extensions for known file types*
Uncheck:  *Hide protected operating system files (Recommended)

Click *Apply*

Now, you should be able to see all files on the system, and their extensions.

Quote:
If I go to the boot Wizard and create a boot floppy, will I have what I need to boot this thing?

The *Std Ghost Boot Disk* will allow for basic Ghosting under most circumstances--you can add USB support as part of that boot disk if needed.  You will not have general DOS access to your optical drives with the Std Boot Disk--but if Ghost is compatible and recognizes your optical drives--they will be seen inside the DOS Ghost Program and you can store image files to them, and restore image files from your optical drives.

The other Boot Disk Options are for various *special* circumstances.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #46 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 8:33pm

Hi Night Owl,I'm cofused. I checked the floppy and after doing the Easter Egg there is only 835 MB free space, so the Ghost exe. can't be installed. So how is anyone getting it done?  OK. I have it now. I unhid my files as you said and that is the reason there wasn't enough room on the floppy. Not all the files were deleted from the MS DOS boot disk because they were hidden. I started over and this time I opened the floppy and installed the Ghost EXE into the empty Ghost folder. The only thing I am concerned about is with the floppy in A drive when I double click it ,iit shows Ghost_2003_boot_floppy_for... Then if I double click on that it shows Ghost 2003 bootable floppy for WinXP Pro SP2. When I double click on that it opens up to show whats on the floppy. And Ghost still shows as a Folder.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #47 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 8:56pm

WilliamP

Clarify--you have only 835 MB after creating the MS-DOS boot disk, and deleting *all* (you have to be able to *see* system files and *hidden* files) the files on it before adding the files from the *zipped* file?

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #48 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 9:15pm

Please see what I added above.

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #49 - Nov 21st, 2005 at 9:41pm

I think I have finally arrived.  I went to My Documents where I put the file and opened it. I deleted the empty Ghost folder. Then I went to my program files and sent the Ghost exe to the file. Now the file that I downloaded from the web page has everything. I then sent the 9 things individually to the A drive. Now when I double click on the A drive it opens to show all the files including the Ghost.exe

IP Logged

olamoree
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Costa Rica

Reply #50 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 2:11am

Hey NightOwl, no joy.... yet... but something.....

Proceeded with Parallel WindowsXP Install according to the site mentioned previously and what a headache!  Copied files from the CD (XP Pro) fine, but when it got time to install those files, it indicated that it could not find such and such a file (ex: ipsink.ax, kodak_dc.icm, etc.) and called for the CD, which was already in the drive, and it would NOT display the i386 file of the MS original CD!!!  I had made a slipstreamed SP2 CD off of the original and YES, the slipstreamed one DOES show the i386 files and so I had to keep switching between the original and the SSed one to get the files to load.  I was never able to find/load ipsink.ax even tho the SSed disk was showing "SP2.CAB" where the rest of the "missing" files were eventually found..... The installation shows
to be plain XP, not even SP1a, and "Professional" is still there.

I made a new directory on the Active/Primary C: called WINXP2 and it shows up as a new Directory when restarted with Win98 Cerelli Boot Disk as do ALL of my 3 Physical Drives.... but not in Restore Console nor during all of this Parallel Install, only the C: and D: partitions of the 1st Physical Drive shows.....

So on the reboot, I have the two MS WinXP Pro installs listed and selecting the second one, which is supposed to be the Parallel nstall, WINXP2 (as opposed to WINDOWS, the damaged one) I STILL get the two tone blue XP screen.  Then I look in the boot.ini file and see that the Parallel Install is listed first and the second one is the original damaged one.  Rebooting and letting the first entry select viola! there is the WinXP Setup and I move on to the new XP installation! BUT, there are ONLY the two partitions of the first HDD, C: and D: which I guess is better than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick, yet the BIOS shows the 1st and 2nd Physical drives..... 

Now, I would certainly appreciate hearing of your recommendations for using the "temporary" Parallel Install to "fix" the REAL WinXP which, up until the "crash", ran my life contentedly.  Some clues.... as I said, it started with the hal.dll invalid or not found, Windows cannot start.  Throughout this adventure, trying "corrections" and "tweaks" here and there, I always run into a suspicious behavior when using "fixmbr" where I am told that "This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid MBR...." and cautions me about proceeding as it could make the partitions unreadable.  I applied the "fdisk /mbr" using the "new" fdisk, but got the same message....  There is NO disk management proggy on any drive.  It could be that there  is a problem with the MBR that I can't/haven't been able to fix.  What do you recommend to "restore" it?  Should I be able to find an MBR backup? 

And altho 2nd Physical drive is detected in BIOS, it does NOT show up in My Computer, nor the 3rd Physical drive which is on a Promise card that I have to find the driver for so it will show (maybe?), but the IDE 2nd Physical is NOT showing up and I would like to register that one before I initiate the Promise card for the 3rd Physical Drive (Proggys, MyDocs, BackUp, etc) for drive letter assignment.

Thanks again for your patience and help.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #51 - Nov 24th, 2005 at 2:58am

olamoree

Well...didn't expect the *parallel install* to be quite that difficult...but, sounds like you made it--good effort!

Quote:
there are ONLY the two partitions of the first HDD, C: and D: which I guess is better than a jab in the eye with a sharp stick, yet the BIOS shows the 1st and 2nd Physical drives.....   

Weird!  Things to double check--in the BIOS--make sure *auto-detect* is selected for each HDD.  Re-check your HDD jumpers if using those to make sure they are set properly.  If using jumpers to specify master and slave, consider changing to *cable select*--or the other way around if already using *cable select*--change to jumper settings--see if any of that helps.

If there is a BIOS option to force the BIOS to re-detect and re-assign resources--tell the BIOS to do its re-detect and assign *thing*.

Quote:
Throughout this adventure, trying "corrections" and "tweaks" here and there, I always run into a suspicious behavior when using "fixmbr" where I am told that "This computer appears to have a non-standard or invalid MBR...."

and:

There is NO disk management proggy on any drive.

The BING program may be the culprit that altered the MBR, and that may be where the problems lie.

Quote:
Should I be able to find an MBR backup?

I've seen some references to a backup MBR that is stored on the HDD--but I'm not knowledgeable about that--may have to try a forum on HDD's for that info.

Quote:
Now, I would certainly appreciate hearing of your recommendations for using the "temporary" Parallel Install to "fix" the REAL WinXP

Well, do you have access to your Ghost 10.x download file?  Do you have access to your *Recovery Disk* .iso file--or do you have to install Ghost 10.x to create the *Recovery Disk*?  Have you fixed or replaced your CD writer so you can create the *Recovery Disk*?

When you made the Ghost 10 image of your HDD, did you check the box to include the MBR?

Before you proceed, you probably have to get the other HDD's to show up--but it may not be necessary if your Ghost *Recovery Disk* can be created from file on C:\ or D:\.  After you have the *Recovery Disk*--boot it to the *Recovery Environment and see if all the HDD's show up there--if you are doing a restore of the backed up image--all may be *fixed* after the restore.

I hope your image file included the MBR--make sure to check the box to restore the MBR!

Report back with your progress!

IP Logged

olamoree
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Costa Rica

Reply #52 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 2:33am

Yikes NightOwl, this YaBBa board has dropped the thread?  I had replied and you had replied I had replied and now it's Sunday Nite and the thread shows last post on 24th???????  The turkey got it?  Also notice that when I put this cursor in this message, it "selects" the whole paragraph, like it was ready to cut/copy...

Anyway, I am still fooling around.  I am DLing a Hiran disk and going to try to burn an ISO and work with the tools on it that may help.      

I noticed an odd thing:  When I went to hook this Win98 box up to the sick XP box (have Linksys BEFSR41) and see on Local Area Connections Properties/Advanced, a message saying that Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) information might be corrupted and to use System Restore to put the box back in time....... lol, wish I could!    

I have run SpinRite 6 and it says that all of the files are intact on all 3 HDD's and that it corrected 149 access errors, probably the number of times I tried to boot XP!, but still doesn't boot in the original XP install, just the Parallel Install.  I ran BootMaster trial and altho the "repair" feature is dependent upon US$30, I could send the log to them for "evaluation" even in trial mode..... I could not make heads nor tails of the log......

I am going to look into Partition Table Doctor and a couple of others to see if that MBR and Partition Table for the C: drive will be fixable.....

I sure did hope that the Parallel XP Install would be useful to fix the original install, but find that I am adding more and more to the Parallel Install and altho termed "temporary", for now it is all I have!  I now have the 1st Physical and 3rd Physical showing up on the Parallel Install, but NOT the 2nd Physical.  I am going to reset the cables and try it and if no joy, swap it into the Win98 box to see if it is recognized.  It is a 40Gig WD, a little long in the tooth, but with no important files on it.  I may even leave it out for now.

As always, your comments, suggestions (and encouragement!) are important.  Thanks.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #53 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 10:45am

olamoree

Quote:
Yikes NightOwl, this YaBBa board has dropped the thread?

Yes--it seems to have an occassional *hic up*--always a good idea to *copy-n-paste* (especially long responses) to WordPad or Notepad as you create the message as backup until you verify the response shows on the board!  Don't want to admit how many times my stubby, fat fingers have hit the wrong key on the keyboard and I have lost my whole post--the *Back* key does not help  Wink !  I even compose some responses in WordPad and *copy-n-paste* to the board to avoid possible loss!

Have you looked at the *BING* website for trouble shooting the install and/or uninstall of their program--do they have email support for problems?

The fact that you were able to do the parallel install suggests that it's something (software or setting(s)) that is creating the problem--but, efforts so far are not addressing the issue.

Curious--you have never mentioned any effort to reach your Ghost image, Ghost download file(s), or resolving the problem creating the Ghost *Recovery Disk*.  If you have a good Ghost image that is prior to the problem(s) beginning--the restoring of that image would seem to offer the fastest, and possibly, best chance of recovery.

IP Logged

olamoree
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Costa Rica

Reply #54 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 12:27pm

Hey NightOwl, yes, I thought that YaBBa had hiccuped... or maybe one of those stubbys got too close to the Remove button..... And yes, I DO compose my response in Notepad and copy and paste and even in Gmail.... which is cranky with Paste (secret: Ctrl V)....

The problem with the Parallel install is that it of course has no drivers, proggys or anything and what I wanted to do was use it to "fix" the original XP install, but it looks like I have to do more in the Parallel first..... like install Nero to get the Hiran ISO burned and maybe even Office as there doesn't seem to be WordPad in this turkey, just NotePad....

BING, well, not sure what it has to do with the problem, but I do see its files.  It is a trial copy so it may have stopped working on its own.  There are bigger fish to fry.

The Ghost Image.  Yes, when the 3rd Physical Drive showed up, (the 2nd is still not seen) there is a partition on it (Y: in the original XP and now H: in the Parallel install) that has the Ghost files, GIGAbytes of them!, apparently current and incremental up to Nov 11th, the fatal day..... The reason I have not addressed that issue out loud are the complications.  I would have to install Ghost 10 in the Parallel XP, which is at SP1a right now,  and then get the BootCD ISO ready for burning, which means ASPI layers, Nero, etc. and then the possible complications of using the Parallel XP to reinstall in the Original XP, which, in my opinion, is not "fixed" enough to trust an overwrite of what I have preserved so far.... and the dread of losing the files of the Original XP because of a bad Ghost Restore..... And what would be the implications/complications of Ghost restoring into the Parallel Xp install?  Could I control that?  I have never used Ghost 10 to do a restore because I have not had this crash before and only used Ghost 2001 v6.5 one time for a restore..... Yes, I KNOW that that is what Ghost is supposed to be for but it does not have my trust in such a situation.  If it was virus damage and the Original XP would boot, then no problem, I would risk it, but here we are dealing with two XP installs and they may not like each other and in IT circles would be considered BadHair.  lol

I am scrapping together yet another box to put XP on as box #2 will only tolerate Win98SE ("legacy" stuff as in ISA) and thought that I would put in a burner and burn the Ghost ISO Restore CD on that machine rather than overload the Parallel XP install with double installations of everything I need.  I managed to get the Oki Okipage 4W (1996 Win3.1/95 laser beauty) cranked up and printing on the Parallel XP Install so I can go on with my life but it is getting tedious to keep switching machines......

I put the /sos switch in the boot.ini on both installations and like I said, in the original XP, it stops at the Win XP NT 5.1, 1 processor, 922MB memory blue page.  The Parallel XP does that same screen, but then shortly proceeds to show a list of things like Drive C: clean, Drive D: clean, Drive E: clean, etc. very quickly and then loads the Desktop.  Now, what does the Parallel XP have that the Original XP doesn't at that point, that would say, Go Ahead, check those drives and load that Desktop?  MBR?  Partition Table?  I strongly feel that once those babies are properly configured that the Original XP install will boot..... and no, I am NOT on drugs.... just optimism!  lol

So I am going to try Partition Table Doctor and maybe BootMaster and some others to at least "see" what the problem is, even if I can't correct it immediately.  I have read some interesting stuff about how the MBR and Partition Table work (detailed) and that area has my greatest suspicions.  A single bit could be the problem...... As BootMaster offers to analyze their Diagnostics Log for free! I am considering imposing upon them as I do have the log done for the Original XP install..... If they say "just buy our proggy and hit "MBR/Partition Table Restore"  and boot into your Original XP, I will spring for the US$30...... but as it is a DataRecovery service, I suspect they may say send us the drive....  maybe I am being paranoid.....

Your opinions, comments and tolerance are always appreciated....

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #55 - Nov 29th, 2005 at 1:16pm

olamoree

Quote:
to reinstall in the Original XP, which, in my opinion, is not "fixed" enough to trust an overwrite of what I have preserved so far.... and the dread of losing the files of the Original XP because of a bad Ghost Restore.....

Well, your understanding of what a Ghost restore will do is on the wrong track--it does not simply write to files that are already on the partition--leaving the ones that are there in place, and only changing the ones that are *different* or *missing*--the partition is essentially re-formatted--all the data from the previous install will be gone--only the restored data will be present--the parallel OS will never have existed as far as the restored OS is concerned--it will be as if time stood still since you created that image.

Quote:
then the possible complications of using the Parallel XP to reinstall in the Original XP,

You will not be using the Parallel XP to restore the OS partition--you will use the Parallel XP to create the *Recovery Disk* from which you will boot to the *Recovery Environment*--so no active OS from the HDD--you can not restore the OS on the HDD from the active OS on the HDD--so you have to boot to the *Recovery Environment*, which is a *Win PE* OS (PE = pre-install environment)--which is a Windows *lite* OS that is running from RAM--not from the HDD.  The HDD can not be in use by the OS if you are restoring the OS!

Quote:
Yes, I KNOW that that is what Ghost is supposed to be for but it does not have my trust in such a situation.

I would use Ghost 10.x's *Recovery Disk*  to *clone* the problem HDD to a spare HDD--remove the original HDD for safe keeping and putting the spare *cloned* HDD in the place of the original.  Then proceed with the restore on the *spare HDD* to see if all goes well.  No harm comes to the original if you run into problems--you simply start over and correct the problem(s).

Quote:
Now, what does the Parallel XP have that the Original XP doesn't at that point, that would say, Go Ahead, check those drives and load that Desktop?  MBR?  Partition Table?

I actually think it's a driver conflict--something is either not loading or is misbehaving and colliding with some other software during the WinXP boot process--the fact that the Parallel XP OS loads tends to rule out MBR and partition tables--the stopping point for your original WinXP is where XP is beginning to load its files for continued booting--and that's where it's hanging--you are past the initial boot process for the MBR and partition tables.

Quote:
I strongly feel that once those babies are properly configured that the Original XP install will boot.....

Nothing wrong with optimism--but I think you are looking at the wrong issue(s)--as noted above.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #56 - Nov 30th, 2005 at 1:44pm

olamoree

I ran across this reference--hard to say if it has relevance to your situation--but may be worth a look:

How to Repair Corrupt master file table (windows 2000 domain controller will not boot)

Don't focus on the *Windows 2000*, but instead on the tools and steps that were followed to repair the problem.

IP Logged

olamoree
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Costa Rica

Reply #57 - Dec 2nd, 2005 at 1:04pm

Hi NightOwn and thanks for the tip.

There have been developments...... good ones and problems.

I removed the 2nd Physical drive (NTFS) that wasn't showing up in MyComputer, but every place else, unplugged the CD drives (2) and restarted in Parallel XP and everything looked fine, but the 1st physical drive showed up as C: and D: (two partitions, primary C:) and the ex-3rd Physical drive, now the 2nd, showed up as F: --apparently it was saving the E: for something else!  And when I plugged in the two CD drives again, they register as E: and G: ...all that to say that now proggys aren't where they are expected to be.

When I rebooted during all of this, I clicked on the Original XP install, just to see what would happen and miracle-of-miracles, there was the /sos screen showing ACTIVITY!!!  doing a chkdsk and the boot continued to an XP install in progress at 39 minutes, probably a remnant of one of my "repair installs" of weeks ago, and then proceeding nicely and viola, when the reboot arrived, there was my old desktop with everything scattered about on it! 

I checked out what I had and was pleased..... Altho there are still many things still trapped on the NTFS drive, I can deal with it.  So as I was still in SP 0, I tried to install SP1 and the Original XP install where I am administrator and Users, Power User too, would not allow acceptance of my Admin login, thus SP1 (on MS disk) would NOT install.  So, being brave, I tried the MS Disk for SP2 after running System Mechanic 5 Prow and cleaning out trash and defragging and getting Ckhdsk /f and all that in order.  An hour after starting, pop, the computer reboots, runs a chkdsk on the C: drive and "corrects errors", reports that the install failed and to uninstall SP2 in Control Panel and start over.  Okey, I have started over 4 times now.... a couple of hours or more for each intent, but "something" is breaking the install.  To confirm the MS CD good, I booted into Parallel XP and ran SP2....went like a breeze, and then went to WinUpdate and installed all the rest of the MS crap from since SP2 and the Parallel XP is up-to-date completely and runs fine..... except it has no programs.  I had 15 Gigs on the C: partition and with Original XP and Parallel XP SP2, the disk ran out of space and had to PartitionMagic 8 to add room to the C: drive, dealing with Error 2003, dealing with it giving me Unallocated Space instead of More Space and then recovering the Unallocated Space into the C: drive where I now have 22 Gigs but with those huge files that SP2 creates to "go back", I only have 1.7 Gigs left on that drive!!!  (Yes, I DID make new PM8 Rescue Disks!)

I might mention that thru this I am getting several BSOD's where Win was shut down to "protect" me...mostly 000007E's and then it takes 6 minutes to do the "physical memory dump"......  When it reboots, it says that it has recovered from a "serious error" and wants to send report to MS and it lists a bunch of "BCC Codes" mentioning the SP2 install disk.....???

Should I try installing SP2 in Safe Mode?  Should I read the WinXP install on Radified?  Is there something I could do to ease the SP2 install?  Don't have any PCI cards to yank out.  Could stop one CD drive and the 2nd HDD to "lighten the load"... what do you recommend?

Oh, Ghost 10.  The proggy is on the NTFS HDD that Original XP will not yet recognize...... and I am getting notices that my Ghost 10 has expired.....

The great thing is that whatever it was has repaired itself without apparent data loss and I am on the way again.  Your comments are appreciated.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #58 - Dec 3rd, 2005 at 12:01pm

olamoree

As before--Wow!  Interesting recovery and results--based on you original install XP install re-appearing after removing the other HDD and the optical drives--I'm guessing something was effecting (interfering) the drive letter assignments--the system was not able to follow the *correct path*--did you add any hardware (HDD's or optical drives) or change where hardware was hooked up to back when all the problems began?

Quote:
I might mention that thru this I am getting several BSOD's where Win was shut down to "protect" me...mostly 000007E's and then it takes 6 minutes to do the "physical memory dump"......  When it reboots, it says that it has recovered from a "serious error" and wants to send report to MS and it

You can change this behavior.  Go to My Computer, right mouse click on it, select Properties, Advanced tab, *Startup and recovery* settings, in *System Failure* select *None* under Write debugging information--and if you do not want WinXP to automatically re-boot if a system error occurs (so you can see the error message), uncheck *Automatically restart*.

Then, go to *Error Reporting* on the Advanced tab, and make your choices there.

Quote:
Should I try installing SP2 in Safe Mode?  Should I read the WinXP install on Radified?  Is there something I could do to ease the SP2 install?  Don't have any PCI cards to yank out.

Really don't know what to say here--you said you were able to do the SP2 upgrade on the Parallel WinXP install--you have during your trouble shooting tried so many *fixes* that it's hard to say where the original WinXP is at--now that you have access again--perhaps a *repair* install would solve the issues--but, I don't know.

I do know that on my system, when I first tried to install WinXP--it refused with repeated BSOD's critical errors--removing my sound card and network card until after the initial install and then letting WinXP re-detect each device with a re-boot in between each re-installing of the device was necessary.  I was installing WinXP with SP2 slip-streamed with the original WinXP SP1.

Quote:
Oh, Ghost 10.  The proggy is on the NTFS HDD that Original XP will not yet recognize...... and I am getting notices that my Ghost 10 has expired..... 

So, it was a *trial* version--well your image is still there and may be a good backup if you checked it's integrity, etc.--but you'll need the program to access it.

By the way--are you doing any backups prior to trying all these major trouble shooting efforts--or SP2 upgrades, etc.--if *No*--you're flying *solo* as far as potentially loosing it all  Wink !

So, even though your original WinXP is up and running, that HDD that was previously recognized in the original WinXP before the problems began--still is not recognized now?!--but, it is recognized by the Parallel WinXP install?

You could try making WinXP *forget* its previous drive letter assignments and have it re-detect and re-assign drive letters--but, be cautious--if your bootup depends on drive letter assignments that could be different if WinXP re-detects and assigns new drive letters that are different from the original--the boot process may get lost!

Fixing Windows 2000/XP Drive Letters

IP Logged

olamoree
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Costa Rica

Reply #59 - Dec 14th, 2005 at 12:25am

Hi NightOwl..... Defying gravity!  What went up is now down!  I was doing some clean up work on the Resurrected XP Original Install and trying to get some of the files off of the ex-Physical Drive 2 (NTFS) and had R-Studio demo running.  Closed it down and went to bed.  Next day..... Took 1 minute to show onboard memory,  2 minutes to List IDE devices, two more minutes of wait to get to the IRQ table, and three more minutes to get the message, "Partition Table Invalid!"   Yikes!  Reboot, took 6 minutes before the Del key would bring up the BIOS and it misreported the AMD XP2500+ (as an AMD 1100) and so reset the CMOS on the M/B.  STILL, POST slower than anything since Pentium 1! 

Would appreciate some ideas on recovering the Partition Table.  Read the M$ KB articles on it and it pretty much says that if you didn't know what it was before the problem, you can't "reconstruct" it.  It is time to spring for BootMaster?  What are my options?  Tempted to "reinstall" XP SP2 over what there is now, which seemed to work before....would that rebuild the MBR and Partition Table?  I can still boot from XP CD ...... if I wait long enough....  Thanks again....

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print