Send Topic Print
A one squeal PC. (Read 3193 times)
Ted.
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

A one squeal PC.
May 1st, 2005 at 7:26am

Hi, all.

My PC gives one short squeal as soon as  I press the "Shift" key after every bootup lately. Something like a fingernail scratch on a piece of corrugated iron! It doesn't do it again until the next boot.

I have run AdaWare, SpyBot and have done a boot scan with Avast. No problems reported.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: A one squeal PC.
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2005 at 11:02am

Ted. -

I have a Dell Inspiron 7500 that used to do exactly that at bootup except for requiring a keystroke.  The squeal was totally independent of volume setting, but definitely was emanating from the notebook's onboard speaker.

Sometime back, I decided to "clean house" and reload all the software anew, then judiciously restore data files and utilities.  The mysterious squeal was not emitted on bootup through several iterations, but finally returned when everything was back onboard.  Then, just as mysteriously, it eventually went away several months later never to return.

I attribute the "squelching of the squeal" to frequent WIN 98SE operating system updates which likely resulted in a serendipitous patch.  I, for one, am glad that it is gone.

El Pescador

IP Logged

Ted.
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: A one squeal PC.
Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2005 at 5:26am

El_Pescador.

Thank you for your reply.

It's quite a mystery and as it only does it once every bootup there's no great hassle, really.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print