Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 restore file (Read 15250 times)
Saraguru
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ghost 2003 restore file
May 3rd, 2005 at 3:13pm

I use XP ntfs and have imaged to an external HD.  There are 5 spanned images.  I had a program not responding so I tried to restore that program by using Ghost explore to open the images.  I got a notice that one of the images would not open and it mentioned corrupted or something like that.  I ran an integrity check and it indicated everything was OK.  In trying to restore the program that was not working, I navigated to program files in the images.  I could not open program files, it wouldn't expand.  I decided I would restore the entire program files.  I right clicked and clicked extract; navigated to the destination where I wanted to restore and hightlighted program files; clicked OK.  Nothing happened.  I wanted to restore this program because it contained data that I wanted to retrieve.  I thought I followed the instructions as to how to restore a file.  What is the explanation for this not working?cm

IP Logged

Tiny

Re: Ghost 2003 restore file
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2005 at 4:26pm

What version of Ghost are you using?

What is the exact error message?

IP Logged

Saraguru
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2005 at 5:29pm

How do I find the version?  It came with NSW Pro 2004.  I updated it to the latest version after I installed it.  I don't get an error message.  Nothing happens.   The restore does nothing.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2005 at 6:49pm

Saraguru

Quote:
How do I find the version?

Open a 'command prompt' in whatever directory your 'ghost.exe' program is located (on the HDD, floppy disk, or even on a CD if the 'ghost.exe' burned onto it is a 'visible' file--a bootable CD's boot sector can not be accessed directly), and then type 'ghost -ver' on the command line, and press enter (that's a space between ghost and -ver).

A number of posts in the past have indicated that Ghost Explorer tends to be a little unreliable--no particular explanation has been identified.

One work-around that has worked has been to 'restore' the partition that has the 'data' files on it to another partition that is available, and then copy those files to where you want them--that however may not solve a non-working program problem--simply copying the program files and overwriting your current files for that program may not be the solution--for example it may be a registry problem, and not a corrupt program file--but only trying will answer if it will work.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Saraguru
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - May 4th, 2005 at 12:15am

Thanks for the ver. procedure.  The ver. is build=793.  I wound up reinstalling the program and was able to recover the data from another source.  I only have one NTFS partition on my 120GB HD.  I use it for video editing which uses large chunks of GB's.  I was interested in why this restore procedure didn't work.  I thought I read in some of the help files that you can restore files in an NTFS setup.  If Ghost exporer doesn't work, how would you do that?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print