Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Re-image on logoff (Read 9766 times)
Neal

Re-image on logoff
May 3rd, 2005 at 6:11pm

We have some XP sp2 PCs and they must automatically re-image themselves from an image on a hidden D partition when a user logs off.

User clicks on Start, then Log Off (or shut down) and Ghost has to kick in and re-image.

How do we do this with Ghost 9?

Thanks, Neal

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Re-image on logoff
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2005 at 6:55pm

Neal

I don't think Ghost 9.x allows imaging outside of the WinXP GUI--only restores can be done--and that requires booting to the Ghost 9.x Recovery Environment from the recovery CD.

Can any Ghost 9.x users confirm that?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - May 3rd, 2005 at 7:21pm

NightOwl wrote on May 3rd, 2005 at 6:55pm:
Neal

I don't think Ghost 9.x allows imaging outside of the WinXP GUI--only restores can be done--and that requires booting to the Ghost 9.x Recovery Environment from the recovery CD.

Can any Ghost 9.x users confirm that?

Correct, imaging has to be done inside Windows. Images can be created at scheduled times, but there is no logoff choice.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2005 at 7:23pm

Neal, I know of no mechanism to schedule a Ghost 9.0 restore – whether at logoff or at any other time.  To complicate matters more, if you are restoring an operating system partition, the Recovery Environment must first be invoked.

The creation of images can be scheduled, but – to the best of my knowledge – not a restoration from an image.

If you find a solution to this problem, please return and post your insights.

IP Logged

Neal

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2005 at 8:27pm

How about if the PC is rebooted?  Can Ghost 9 then be used to automatically rebuild the PC from an image?

If Ghost 9 can't do it, can anyone suggest a product that will work?

Thanks, Neal

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2005 at 12:52am

Neal

Ghost 2003's DOS version can be run using a batch file that probably could be set up to do what you want--but you have to build the batch file on your own--specific to your set up.

You could probably do it from a floppy disk that you put in the floppy drive and re-boot after logging off from WinXP (using 'restart'), or from a bootable CD with the appropriate batch file.

See here for some samples of batch files:

http://ghost.radified.com/ghost_4.htm

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10976...

http://users.pandora.be/satcp/ghostresq01.htm

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print