NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Hard Boiled Eggs
May 4th, 2005 at 11:31pm

To all

This may be 'old news' to some--or maybe everyone already knows this, and I'm just slow.

No one has ever told me how best to peel hard boiled eggs--my mother nor my father, or anyone else for that matter, has ever mentioned it to me.

I have from habit--I really have no recollection as to why I formed this habit--always starting peeling at the big rounded end as opposed to the more pointed end.

And I'm sure, if you've peeled a few hard boiled eggs, you know that some eggs just don't peel easily.  The shell sticks to the underlieing egg white, and you loose a large chunk of egg white in the effort.

Well, it dawned on me that when working with an egg that is not peeling well, it seems that the big rounded end was always the hardest part to peel--and it got easier as I worked my way to the more pointed end!

Bingo--I started peeling first from the more pointed end--and I almost never have a hard-to-peel-loose-half-the-egg-white problems like previously!

Seems as though the shell is more strongly attached to the egg white at the big rounded end vs the more pointed end.  If you get the easier end off first--the rest follows more easily.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

julie

Re: Hard Boiled Eggs
Reply #1 - May 5th, 2005 at 4:24pm

hi, hope this helps ,rotfl, just pop the egg with shell in coldwater , and crack the shell, leave it in the water for 10 secs, and it will peel in big easy pieces,
J T. Wink

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #2 - May 5th, 2005 at 6:42pm

julie

Thanks for your suggestion--I will try that.

I actually was referring mostly to hard boiled eggs that have been sitting in the refrig for a day or longer!--but sometimes freshly boiled eggs seem to resist peeling.  I bet your suggestion will solve that issue!

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #3 - May 5th, 2005 at 7:05pm

I could never peel the dang things, either.

http://www.goodegg.com/boiledegg.html

"Extremely fresh eggs will not peel easily. In fact, an egg that is just a day or two old is almost impossible to peel. As eggs age, the shells will peel more easily. It is advisable that eggs used for hard cooking (including Easter Eggs) be at least 2 weeks old before cooking for easiest peeling. Hard cooked eggs that are cooked slowly over low heat (and not ‘boiled’) will be more difficult to peel."

http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1616,146183-246205,00.html

If possible, use eggs that have spent at least 1 night in the refrigerator. Remove and let them warm to room temperature.
Bring sufficient water to a boil and add room temperature eggs to the water using a tablespoon so as not to crack them.

Boil eggs 15 to 20 minutes vigorously.

Drain water from the eggs in a sink and, with the lid of the container held on, bounce the eggs like one would while popping corn with sufficient force to crack the eggshells. Remove the lid, and immediately flush cold tap water over the eggs. Peel and be surprised how easily they peel without breaking the whites.

more:

http://kitchensavvy.typepad.com/journal/2005/03/peeling_hardboi.html

and

http://kitchensavvy.typepad.com/journal/2005/03/peeling_hardboi.html

In order to peel a hard boiled egg without it breaking. Roll it on the counter top so the shell cracks into small pieces. The shell will easily peel off leaving the hard boiled egg perfect.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2005 at 1:15am

Rad

Thanks for the references--read them all--but ya' know what?--none of them suggested what I have discovered--

try it--

peel from the more pointed end first--it works much better!

These instructions are the best for properly cooking a hard boiled egg, in my opinion:

http://www.goodegg.com/boiledegg.html

Quote:
Boil eggs 15 to 20 minutes vigorously.

That's a grossly over-cooked hard boiled egg, in my opinion at least!

IP Logged

julie
N00b

Ireland

Re: Hard Boiled Eggs longest word in world??
Reply #5 - May 6th, 2005 at 9:28am

hi, i am new on this knowledgeable forum but in imho vigourously boiling eggs for 15 ~20 min would lead to perhaps the longest word in the world, this word derives from the aztecs and also used in india perhaps eons ago by W.C. fields,  Grin this word also contains the record number of vowels and this word is internationally accredited , even in world summits where it is often used by learned scholars and the like and recently by  aristocrats , this word is wait for it [font=Verdana][/font]  breaking news ! some rumours say that the letter m is in there some where , the Hubble telescope is  making advances on this  but yet to no avail,  heres the word its not even patented and spans all languages through all era's NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN nnnnnn NNNNNNNNNN
which in proper medical journals  describes the utter soothing of constipation , lmao  , i had to post somethin lighthearted after all the knowledge i have recently amassd.  JT

The best in yourself may bring out good in others.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2005 at 2:51am

julie

Grin   Grin   Grin    Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Grin   Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print