Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DVD-writer - how to choose (ver 2) (Read 11937 times)
^-^ Wai_Wai ^o^
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

DVD-writer - how to choose (ver 2)
May 12th, 2005 at 6:20am

DVD-writer - how to choose (ver 2)
Hi.
It's my first time to buy a DVD writer.

1) What do I need to know/notice when choosing a good DVD writer?
(eg what aspects/specifications do I need to focus on)

2) I know there're 5 DVD format all together (ie DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD-RW, DVD+RW, DVD-RAM).
In fact, what's the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R, DVD-RW and DVD+RW?
And does anyone think DVD-RAM is useful?
Should I try to find a DVD-write which can read all DVD formats?

3)
Maybe it's a stupid question.
a) But is it true all DVD-writers can read CD and VCD (Video CD)?
(ver2) *NEW* And is it true all DVD-writers support at least DVD+/-R, and DVD+/-RW?

4)
Which brand or model will you suggest me buying?
And why?

I would like the DVD-writer:
- stable (or longer warranty period)
- can read most discs correctly (and even lower-quality discs)
PS: I don't know, but some DVD-players (stand-alone, not for computers) have problems reading some discs while the discs is not corrupt or naytihng similar and can be read by others.
- writing speed doesn't need to be too high (since I repfer to write discs at lower speed)
- the noise factor is unimportant (unless it is too loud)

Info about my computer:
- my motherboard is A7N8X-X, only support up to 2*UDMA 133
- I have 2 HDDs and 1 CD-RW currently. I think the DVD-writer will replace the CD-RW.
- I don't use any firmware
- I use my DVD writers mainly for reading videos/audios, burning DVDs for videos/audios, and for file storage & data backups.

[ver 2] *NEW*
5) Dual/double layer writing tech
I've heard about double-layer writables.
What is it? What does it do?
What benefits does it provide?
How expensive will a DVD writers be if I wish to have such technology?
Can a normal DVD player (standalone, not computer) read this DVD written by this tech?

[ver 2] *NEW*
6) Region-code
As to region-code, I have a DVD-reader on my mobile computer.
It's strange that I can set the region codes for 4 times only. I can never change it afterward (even if I reformat my computer).
So if there's any way that I can eliminate the DVD-region trouble, or have a DVD writer which can read/write all DVDs with any region codes. It would be perfect.

Thanks for your help. Cheesy

IP Logged

Ralph

Re: DVD-writer - how to choose (ver 2)
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2005 at 9:57am

Do we have a budget to work with?

I heard good things about NEC. Plextor has a drive with an SATA interface if you need that. LiteOn makes good products for bargain prices. Sony is also supposed to be good.

I think they are all made by 2 or 3 primary manufactureres and just add their own modifications, so they are not very different from one another.

IP Logged

rj

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2005 at 10:06am

Regarding #3, all can read CDs, but VCDs can be problematic depending on how they were made.

IP Logged

^-^ Wai_Wai ^o^
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - May 12th, 2005 at 10:27am

Quote:
Regarding #3, all can read CDs, but VCDs can be problematic depending on how they were made.

For example?
Would you mind giving me some examples and explain a bit?

IP Logged

^-^ Wai_Wai ^o^
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - May 12th, 2005 at 10:37am

ralph wrote on May 12th, 2005 at 9:57am:
Do we have a budget to work with?

Not really.
It depends on the market.
And also it depends on whether it is worth spending extra. And how better it is.

Temporarily, I may accept sometihng between low-end nd mid-end. But if the quality difference between them is small or negligible. I may choose for low-end.

Quote:
I heard good things about NEC. Plextor has a drive with an SATA interface if you need that. LiteOn makes good products for bargain prices. Sony is also supposed to be good.

I think they are all made by 2 or 3 primary manufactureres and just add their own modifications, so they are not very different from one another.

As as Plextor and SATA, my motherboard doesn't have SATA. So I cannot use SATA DVD drive, right?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #5 - May 12th, 2005 at 1:53pm

Quote:
"... As as Plextor and SATA, my motherboard doesn't have SATA. So I cannot use SATA DVD drive, right?"

^-^ Wai_Wai ^o^

CLICK HERE to check out a combo PCI-to-SATA/IDE Host Adapter Card (no RAID capability) with both an external and an internal SATA port, PLUS an internal IDE/ATA port.  The internal SATA port can be used for either an internally mounted DVD burner or an additional internal SATA NCQ HDD, while the external SATA port can serve double-duty supporting a SATA DVD burner mounted externally in addition to an external HDD enclosure communicating via SATA (most external enclosure kits employing SATA communication harbor SATA HDDs, but at least one such kit has an IDE/ATA-to-SATA converter so as to mount an IDE/ATA HDD inside).

El Pescador

IP Logged

Spanky

Reply #6 - May 12th, 2005 at 2:42pm

I would get dual-layer. They weren't out yet when I got my DVD. It ups the disc storage capacity from 4.7 to 8.5 GB.

IP Logged

PJ

Reply #7 - May 12th, 2005 at 2:46pm

There are ways to get around the region code limitations http://www.google.com/search?q=dvd+region+code+hack

IP Logged

^-^ Wai_Wai ^o^
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - May 12th, 2005 at 3:59pm

El_Pescador wrote on May 12th, 2005 at 1:53pm:
CLICK HERE to check out a combo PCI-to-SATA/IDE Host Adapter Card (no RAID capability) with both an external and an internal SATA port, PLUS an internal IDE/ATA port.  The internal SATA port can be used for either an internally mounted DVD burner or an additional internal SATA NCQ HDD, while the external SATA port can serve double-duty supporting a SATA DVD burner mounted externally in addition to an external HDD enclosure communicating via SATA (most external enclosure kits employing SATA communication harbor SATA HDDs, but at least one such kit has an IDE/ATA-to-SATA converter so as to mount an IDE/ATA HDD inside).

El Pescador

Just a hesitation.

Is it worthwhile to spend extra money on a controller card for SATA? How good SATA is in comparison with UDMA?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #9 - May 12th, 2005 at 8:45pm

Quote:
"... Is it worthwhile to spend extra money on a controller card for SATA? How good SATA is in comparison with UDMA?"

^-^ Wai_Wai ^o^

CLICK HERE and CLICK HERE to gain a perspective on SATA versus IDE/ATA/UDMA.  I might add that I purchased a Dell Dimension 8400 earlier this year as a gift for my youngest daughter, and it had a single IDE/ATA port on the motherboard serving two optical drives on the same ribbon cable while it had four SATA ports.  The only HDD onboard was a Seagate 160GB SATA.

BTW, even if you have a SATA port on your systemboard, you will still pay nearly half the delivered price of the PCI-to-SATA adapter for a SATA pass-through adapter shipped from most outlets.

El Pescador

IP Logged

Poncho

Reply #10 - May 12th, 2005 at 9:11pm

Nice link. Very informative.

IP Logged

^-^ Wai_Wai ^o^
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #11 - May 13th, 2005 at 3:20am

El_Pescador wrote on May 12th, 2005 at 8:45pm:
CLICK HERE and CLICK HERE to gain a perspective on SATA versus IDE/ATA/UDMA.  I might add that I purchased a Dell Dimension 8400 earlier this year as a gift for my youngest daughter, and it had a single IDE/ATA port on the motherboard serving two optical drives on the same ribbon cable while it had four SATA ports.  The only HDD onboard was a Seagate 160GB SATA.

BTW, even if you have a SATA port on your systemboard, you will still pay nearly half the delivered price of the PCI-to-SATA adapter for a SATA pass-through adapter shipped from most outlets.

El Pescador

I know its technicl difference (1 is up to 150MB/s, one is 133/MB). But does it realy bring extra/observable difference to my computer?

After readng this post, it seems SATA is not really worth the money:

Quote:
  UDMA, SATA, SCSI ~~ Doesn't really matter much *at this time*.
(Except for overall configuration considerations regarding multiple drives per controller.)

Contrary to popular belief SATA or SCSI drives are not any faster than UDMA..

Since about 1998/1999(~ish) the interface transfer rate means little *at the drive*.
A HDD's transfer rate bottle neck is in the *mechanicals* of the drive and not in the *interface*.

In otherwords...
It doesn't matter if the pipe a move a 1000 gallons a minute if ~~
~~ the valve can only let 10 gallons a minute in or out of it.

~~~~

The "Numbers" to look at for drives are the Head/Disk transfer rate. ~~~

Note: Maxtor and Western Digital no longer even provide this information in their spec sheets.
Do you think maybe they DON'T WANT YOU TO KNOW that the interface transfer rate is useless information???

~~~~

Want a real comparison????

Sustained (or Average) Head to Disc Xfer rates for different interfaces of Seagate drives:

UDMA100 7200RPM ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ 58 MB/s
160GB, 8MB Cache
ST3160023A

SATA 7200RPM ~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ ~~~ 58 MB/s
160GB,8MB Cache
ST3160023AS

Ultra320 SCSI 10,000RPM ~~ ~~~ ~~~ 59.5 MB/s
146GB, 8MB Cache
ST3146707LC

FiberChannel 10,000RPM ~ ~ ~~~ ~~~ 59.5 MB/s
146GB, 8MB Cache
ST3146707FC

~~~~
PCBONEZ

Although SATA is going to replace PATa in future, I am not supposed to upgrade my computer at this stage. First I need to buy 1 controller. Second it seems the extra bandwidth cannot boost up my DVD drives much.

I will leave this upgrade after a few years :P

IP Logged

^-^ Wai_Wai ^o^
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #12 - May 13th, 2005 at 4:43am

Read this:
From http://www.tomshardware.com/storage/20030204/serial_ata-17.html
Quote:
...our feelings are mixed. In this exhaustive test of the first Serial ATA drive to be released onto the market, we were unable to discover any performance advantage over a comparable model with an UltraATA/100 interface. At present, our view is: Serial ATA is superior, but not faster than current parallel ATA solutions.

It only makes sense to switch to Serial ATA if you feel that the problem-free cabling is worth it, or if you are upgrading a system and want to buy a drive that is as future-proof as possible. We will only recommend a complete PC with Serial ATA when the controller is included in the chipset - something we don't expect to see until the summer at the earliest. Otherwise our recommendation is to wait and see.

IP Logged

Amish.
Technoluster

Dude! (Rad in SeaMonkey)

Reply #13 - May 13th, 2005 at 12:15pm

Look at the date. That article is more than two years old. Ancient history in the world of computers.

IP Logged

^-^ Wai_Wai ^o^
Radmeister

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - May 13th, 2005 at 1:32pm

Amish. wrote on May 13th, 2005 at 12:15pm:
Look at the date. That article is more than two years old. Ancient history in the world of computers.

Thanks for your mention.
So how about PATA now? Does it really give our computers a good boost, or is it just an illusion?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print