Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
DVD-writer - how to choose (ver 2) (Read 11956 times)
Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: DVD-writer - how to choose (ver 2)
Reply #15 - May 13th, 2005 at 2:08pm

I've never thot about DVD burners in terms of 'performance'. Rather, I think the chosing is found in the *faetures*. I mean, all burners with the same with same features are going to preform similarly to each other.

Also to consider is that DVDs are still evolving. Unlike CD burners, which have now reached maturity, DVD are headed toward the dual-layer, dual-sided format (17-GB capacity, I think).

And features will cost you. If you want a dual-layer burner, it will cost more than a single-layer burner. In the end, the decison is yours .. as to which features you want and are willing to pay for.

For me, I would get a dual-layer burner, and the faster one possible, so as to future-proof myself as best as possible. But others might get a cheapo single-layer and wait until dual-layer burners drop in price. Prices usually drop on the previous models when the next stage (features) is released.

The core parts of the burner are all made by the same group of companies, so you aren't going to find many differences between various brands.

I've never been much for adapters. Many work fine, but I try to avoid them whenever possible.

I've always liked Plextor for optical drives. But they can be pricey. NEC is a very popular brand.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #16 - May 13th, 2005 at 11:34pm

^-^ Wai_Wai ^o^  -

Think this through - your next PC likely will be configured like my daughter's new Dell Dimension 8400, i.e., it has only a single IDE/ATA port on the motherboard which can serve either two optical drives on the same ribbon cable or one optical plus an IDE/ATA HDD.  To enjoy two optical drives while bringing along an inexpensive legacy IDE/ATA HDD to serve in a SECONDARY role to the PRIMARY SATA HDD, the combo PCI-to-SATA/IDE Host Adapter Card (no RAID capability) with both an external and an internal SATA port,
PLUS the internal IDE/ATA port
, will prove quite handy.

Moreover, despite the multiple SATA ports on the systemboard, you will still need a SATA pass-though cable to serve any sort of external SATA device and the one-meter limitation on SATA cable length will curtail the mobility of said device as the length of the pass-through cable has to be factored in. Therefore, the combo card could conceivably have utility on your future PC after all.  To be quite blunt, everything I am purchasing nowadays to fit a PC must
promise
utility with likely systemboard configurations of the next generation.

El Pescador

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #17 - May 15th, 2005 at 5:00pm

^-^ Wai_Wai ^o^  -

CLICK HERE to view a really 'off-beat' - but fascinating - implementation of SATA technology.

El Pescador

IP Logged

julie
N00b

Ireland

Reply #18 - May 16th, 2005 at 4:07pm

hi, i would recommend liteon dual layer dual format dvd writers, cheaper than sony and a lot of sony dvd writers are liteon, just rebadged ,  dont opt  for  sata yet they have to many quirks, with any brand of optical drive , not to mention their motherboard probs.
And media without a doubt i only use ritek, taio yuden is very good media too, but too many are fakes , yes faked blank discs, there are a variety of disc inspectors which report on the actual media manufacturers. And i might add that currently only 80 % of dvd roms in pc's can read a multisession dvd, but all dvd writers can , if you are using xp, or older versions of windows you will need nero multimounting software (*its messy and erratic ) hope this helps, and if you are making photo cd's for your home dvd player, you can use cdrw discs almost all home dvd players will accept cdrw discs some times you may have to select pbc to on, on home dvd player have fun.

The best in yourself may bring out good in others.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print