Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
removing virtual partition (gdisk?) after mishap (Read 19745 times)
victory

removing virtual partition (gdisk?) after mishap
May 12th, 2005 at 2:54pm

hi!
i tried to clone my encrypted c: and upon reboot got missing operating system.
days later (and thanks to night owl!) i have moved forward somewhat.
my encryption company helped me fix the mbr and decrypt c:

now i must still fix what ghost did.
(when i boot it still says 'missing operating system' as before)

i tried ghreboot and it didn't work.
using gdisk32 or gdisk i am able to see that partition 1 (my c:) is active. (i made it active)

it shows partition 2 as extended 52752.5 mb and 92% usage. (nothing under system).

i think i'm supposed to use gdisk to delete partition 2.

here is info from symantec site:

Examine the information to find the partition number of the Ghost Virtual Partition and the partition number of the drive's primary partition.
The Ghost Virtual Partition is a FAT16 file system and will be approximately 7.8 MB in size. The primary partition is usually the partition onto which you installed Windows

.....well, before running ghreboot i did have this fat 16 7.8mb as partition 2 and also listed under partition 2, was the other i described (52752.5mb).

now the fat 16 / 7.8mb isn't there, only the 52752.5mb.

so do i delete this remaining part of partition 2 ?

just want to be sure.
i'm very good at making a big mess by doing little things.

thanks again!

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: removing virtual partition (gdisk?) after mish
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2005 at 3:32pm

victory 

(FYI--victory's first post on this problem is here:

ghost restarted -error can't find operating system
)

Need a little more information to make any recommendations:

1.  What OS are you using?  WinXP?  Other?

2.  How many HDD's are on the system?  And what type HDD's are they--IDE, SATA, ...?

3.  What partition layout did you have before you tried using Ghost--on each HDD if you have more than 1?

4.  What were the partition types before using Ghost--primary, active, extended, hidden, etc.?

5.  What file system is on each partition--NTFS, FAT32, FAT16,...?

Quote:
(when i boot it still says 'missing operating system' as before)

This may be a 'boot.ini' problem now, rather than a virtual partition problem--need the answers to the above question to know how to procede. 

Do not delete any partitions just yet!

By the way, the rest of my day may be unpredictable--so I may not be able to respond for awhile.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

victory

Reply #2 - May 12th, 2005 at 5:29pm

WOW! once again thanks for the detailed and fast reply. as i said before, when i'm up and running i will send a token of my thanks in the form of $ your way.  Symantec charges $30 per question and they have never gotten back to me after 2 attempts.

my answers:

1.  What OS are you using?  WinXP?  Other?
win xp sp2 with all the upgrades.
ghost 2003 with live update done.
securstar dcpp encryption but c: (all winxp) is decrypted now.

2.  How many HDD's are on the system?  And what type HDD's are they--IDE, SATA, ...?
just one. it's a dell inspiron 5160 laptop (which keeps expirin on me!)  i think that means it's an ide???

3.  What partition layout did you have before you tried using Ghost--on each HDD if you have more than 1?
winxp as c:   partition 1
then d,e,f,g,h  for misc stuff. still encrypted.
i think i was the optical drive.

partition 2 is the virtual created by ghost but i think it shows up as J in windows.

no partition is the size mentioned as the virtual.
my hd is 60gigs

4.  What were the partition types before using Ghost--primary, active, extended, hidden, etc.?
---i don't know.
i used gdisk to tell me this info after my ghostly experience.
i assume it only created the virtual partion (2) which was active and had an extended portion.

ghreboot took out the main fat32 7.8mb part of it, but left the extended part there.

now partition one is active because i used gdisk to make it so.

5.  What file system is on each partition--NTFS, FAT32, FAT16,...?
---all NTFS now -Except that the extended part of partition 2 shows no info for that.
so maybe that is still FAT32

Quote:(when i boot it still say 'missing operating system' as before) 

This may be a 'boot.ini' problem now, rather than a virtual partition problem--need the answers to the above question to know how to procede.   

Do not delete any partitions just yet!
OK!   but i've got an itchy delete finger (or /d finger in this case)

By the way, the rest of my day may be unpredictable--so I may not be able to respond for awhile

***** again, very much appreciated, and thank you for your time!!!

victory

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2005 at 1:14pm

victory

Thanks for posting your answers--I'm getting a clearer idea of what you have set up--I can give you some direction to consider, but still have more questions, too:

Quote:
it's a dell inspiron 5160 laptop

it shows partition 2 as extended 52752.5 mb and 92% usage.

A Dell computer--many (all--?) Dells come with a separate partition called the 'Dell Utility' partition, and apparently some come with a third 'Dell PC Restore' partition which is used to restore the system to the way it was the day the system was delivered to you.  You can find out more than you probably want to know here at Dan Goodell's website:

Inside the Dell Utility Partition

Inside the Dell PC Restore Partition

Troubleshooting the Restore Process

Quote:
3.  What partition layout did you have before you tried using Ghost--on each HDD if you have more than 1?  
winxp as c:   partition 1
then d,e,f,g,h  for misc stuff. still encrypted.  
i think i was the optical drive.

partition 2 is the virtual created by ghost but i think it shows up as J in windows.

no partition is the size mentioned as the virtual.
my hd is 60g

I'm a little unsure regarding your 'terminology'--where/how are you getting this information?  Is it from 'gdisk.exe'--the DOS version of Ghost's 'GDISK' program--which is a command line partitioning program (similar to Fdisk--MS's command line partitioning program for DOS) included with Ghost 2003?

I used 'gdisk32.exe' (the version that will run within WinXP by opening a command window in the Norton Ghost subdirectory) and typing the following command line at the prompt:  'gdisk 1 /status'

Here's the output:

You might notice that I have the same number of drive letters as you--C:\ through H:\!

Now, I have not tried the DOS version, yet, but I would hope that it's a similar output.

All of the drive letters represent 'partitions'.  So are the 'partition 1' and 'partition 2' you are referring to representing
Primary Partitions
?

In the screen shot above, you see columns labeled 'Partition', 'Status', 'Type', and 'System'.  What is the 'Status' and 'Type' for your 'partition 1' and 'partition 2'?

Are there 'Volume Label' and 'System' listed for your 'partition 1' and 'partition 2'?

Am I correct that your drive letters 'd,e,f,g, and h' do not show up in the 'gdisk' output because they are encrypted?

Quote:
here is info from symantec site:

Examine the information to find the partition number of the Ghost Virtual Partition and the partition number of the drive's primary partition.  
The Ghost Virtual Partition is a FAT16 file system and will be approximately 7.8 MB in size. The primary partition is usually the partition onto which you installed Windows

Could you provide the specific reference by Symantec, i.e. the web address for the above?

Quote:
.....well, before running ghreboot i did have this fat 16 7.8mb as partition 2 and also listed under partition 2, was the other i described (52752.5mb).

When you say, 'and also listed
under
partition 2, was the other i described (52752.5mb).'--was that partition 'listed' on the next line (under) as 'partition 3'?

That '7.8mb as partition 2' is a number I've seen before--but not in this context.  If you partition a second HDD on your system that is for 'data, etc.' only, and you make it an Extended Partition only with logical drives within that Extended Partition (this will prevent drive letter changes to your 1st HDD--this applies to drive letter assignments under DOS where the drive letter is not 'sticky' like they are under WinXP NT-based OS's)--you actually do not get just the Extended Partition only!

You also get a 7.8 mb 'primary' partition at the beginning of that HDD (but no drive letter is ever assigned to it), and the rest is the Extended Partition.  It must be a necessary HDD file structure for the system to properly 'see' and 'address' the HDD (in DOS only?).

So, I'm thinking that that 7.8 mb partition represents the entry in the 'partition table' that allows Ghost to create the 'virtual partition' from which to work--and now that you have run 'ghreboot', that entry has been deleted from the partition table.

Quote:
i used gdisk to tell me this info after my ghostly experience.
i assume it only created the virtual partion (2) which was active and had an extended portion.

ghreboot took out the main fat32 7.8mb part of it, but left the extended part there.

I'm unclear what you mean at the end, 'but left the extended part there.'

Please answer the additional questions above--let me know if what I have suggested sounds about right--I still think it's a boot.ini problem at this point--and once I have the answers above, hopefully we can address that issue.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

victory

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2005 at 3:50pm

Hi, I'm emailing from my phone so I must be short. Ill send a screenshot of gdisk32 later. Yes gdisk is where I got the info. After my first crash I repartitioned the hdd. Wasn't aware of dells restore partitions. 

Partition2 showed as 7.8. Listed under it was the big extended part, but it wasn't called 3.  3 was my next own partition. Now with the 7.8 portion gone, the extended part shows as partition2.

My encryption recovery cd gives me the option of replacing the mbr with a new standard one.

Should I do that?

Is boot ini part of that mbr that will be replaced?

Thanks again!
Victory

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2005 at 4:29pm

victory

Quote:
After my first crash I repartitioned the hdd.

Hmmmm...you didn't mention 'repartitioned' in your prior posts--you may be way past 'recovery' of your OS at this point  Sad !

Re-partitioning wipes out whatever was on the HDD--as does re-formating.

If you wiped out the partition by re-partitioning, that would explain the '-error can't find operating system'.

So, clarify--what did you actually do?  Did you use Gdisk to do it?

IP Logged

victory

ALL NEW problems after norton goback install
Reply #6 - May 13th, 2005 at 10:17pm

thank you for your continued help.
i'll try to be more detailed in my explanation and answers. my apologies.

the repartitioning i was referring to was done long ago before these problems. i only mentioned it to explain that i don't have original dell partitions with a backup system as you said most dells have.  (when i bought my dell, it only showed a c: drive, nothing else, so maybe it had no partitions).

since my last post this is what i have done:

i finally got my system decrypted so all that is no longer an issue. the mbr is a standard one now.

at this point there is still the partition 2 containing which is 'extended'.  i thought ghost created that and didn't remove it, but maybe it was always there.

my computer runs fine at this moment....
no more missing operating system.
but don't worry, i created new problems for you!

i then reencrypted my system.

then i installed norton 2005 suite and did live update.
all is ok still.
then i installed go back.
it installed then rebooted itself and got this error half way through trying to load windows.

light blue screen:
autocheck program not found, skipping autocheck

then normal "blue screen"
STOP: c000021a (fatal system error)
the session manager initialization system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a  (0x0000000  0x0000000).
the system has shut down.

i'm not sure if go back was merely rebooting after install, or if it was trying to read the disc to create a copy.

so i decrypted my system again and installed a new mbr.
so again encryption is not an issue.
but i still get the situation above half way through windows load.

gdisk info you requested
here is current info from gdisk: (doesn't work)
dr-dos a:\>d:gdisk 1 /status
double page fault at eip=5d4d6

(this is what it did when my disk was encrypted, but now it's decrypted so i don't know why i get this error. gdisk has worked for me in the past)

re: my past gdisk /status
i don't recall if my partitions were primary or logical. the c: was primary and A -active. 

i created the partitions using a utility that is part of winxp.
(again, that was done long ago, before all this).
i haven't used gdisk except /status.
i only used ghreboot once as i explained before.

thanks again NightOwl

IP Logged

victory

safe mode
Reply #7 - May 13th, 2005 at 10:32pm

i tried F8 to boot up in many of the safe mode options but all give same blue screen result.

when i replace the mbr with a standard one, did that make a new boot.ini file?

i do have an ultimate boot cd, in case i need to use those tools.

thanks!

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #8 - May 13th, 2005 at 11:40pm

victory

Well, let's deal with the new problem first--if we can:

Sounds like something has gone wrong with the install and compatibility of Ghost 9 and/or Go Back with your system and/or encryption program.

Did you create any system backups before installing those major programs such as:

--Did you make a Ghost 9 OS partition backup?

--Using WinXP's Backup program--create a 'System State' backup--that's a backup of the whole registry that can be restored?

--Are you using the 'System Restore' feature of WinXP?

--There's a program called ERUNT (Emergency Recovery Utiltiy for NT-based OS systems).  You can set it to make a backup once per day upon first boot if you shut the system down for the night.  And you can boot to the Recovery Console if WinXP will not boot, and do a repair.

ERUNT

If 'yes', you may be able to restore using one of these to get back to how things were before you installed the new programs.

If 'no', well that would have made it easier--I use all the above (except--I use Ghost 2003) so as to have as many options as possible to recover from an install-gone-bad--I would recommend using them for more 'defensive' computing in the future--

Quote:
light blue screen:
autocheck program not found, skipping autocheck

First--can you use 'safe mode' to boot (F8 during boot) to windows? 
(Saw in your next post that that didn't work!)

The above error suggests a potential problem with drive letter assignments having changed?  'Autocheck' is the first program being called after the initial boot loader program has finished.  It's not finding the program where WinXP thinks it's supposed to be located.  As it states, 'skipping autocheck' means it is moving on to the next set of instructions--and then you are getting the 'fatal stop' error.  Windows is not finding that next driver or initiation program and is halting execution.

Found this suggestion on 'Experts Exchange' as a possible corrective measure:

autochck program not found - skipping AUTOCHECK

Quote:
do a repair install
..... i have this problem before and it was solved by either a repair install OR hard drive was bad!

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Click here on How To Run a Repair Install:
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm

The above makes sense, given the error, and is probably worth a try.   But I have no personal experience with this problem or solution.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #9 - May 14th, 2005 at 12:52am

Quote:
"... Sounds like something has gone wrong with the install and compatibility of Ghost 9 and/or
Go Back
with your system and/or encryption program..."

NightOwl

For what it is worth, Norton Ghost 2003 is thoroughly incompatible with an active Roxio GoBack Personal Edition 3 set-up.  GoBack should be installed only after following a successful Ghost 2003 install, and should at least be disabled during any sort of Ghost 2003 operation.

However, Ghost 9.0 certainly falls outside my realm of experience.

El Pescador

IP Logged

victory

next steps
Reply #10 - May 14th, 2005 at 5:11am

thanks NightOwl,

i will follow up on your advice.
i'm sending securstar a scolding to tell them to put together a list of incompatible softwares. or at least a warning list for potential conflicts, because i'm sure many of their customers have had similar problems.

QUESTION, does fdisk/mbr write a new boot.ini file? or is that separate?

could i peek at the boot.ini file and just remove any reference to norton goback? or is it more complicated than that?

i'll work with the advice links you gave, but i'm still curious to understand the MBR thing a bit more.

thanks! you've been a super help!
victory

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #11 - May 14th, 2005 at 10:49am

victory

Quote:
QUESTION, does fdisk/mbr write a new boot.ini file? or is that separate?

That would be separate.

Quote:
could i peek at the boot.ini file and just remove any reference to norton goback? or is it more complicated than that?

I don't know much about Norton Goback--but I doubt it altered the boot.ini file.  As I said above, in the previous post, I think
something
has altered the drive letter assignments in some fashion.

'It's more complicated than that!'  When using the NTFS file system, you can not easily 'look at' files (unless you are successfully booted to Windows), copy them, edit them, or write changes to them onto the NTFS system.  There are ways to do it, but it takes some convoluted steps.  But to access the boot.ini file from a DOS boot disk, floppy or CD, you could use this free program from TeraByte:

EditBINI

There's a brief Readme file in the zip file that tells how to use it.

Quote:
i'll work with the advice links you gave, but i'm still curious to understand the MBR thing a bit more.

You can start here for more info on the boot process, and how the MBR and boot.ini interact:

Background - The Boot Process

Please report back with the progress you make.  We all learn from these endeavors.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #12 - May 14th, 2005 at 3:57pm

victory

I see you are trying Ghost 9.x in place of Ghost 2003--I do not use Ghost 9.x--so I have limited experience with it.

But, for Ghost 2003, if you create a boot CD to run Ghost 2003, you may avoid the 'compatibility' issue you initially experienced because you avoid the 'virtual partition' if you run Ghost directly from DOS and a boot floppy or CD.

Another thought has occurred to me as well--with all the talk about the Master Boot Record and your encryption software--you may have to use a special 'switch' to force Ghost 2003 to copy the entire 'boot tract' and not just the 'boot sector'.

In order for Ghost to save image size space, the default behavior is to image only the 'boot sector'--but that's only a small part of the total 'boot tract' region that is reserved for 'boot information'.

This is from the ;Appendix A:  Command Line Switches' of the Ghost 2003 User Manual:

Quote:
-ib

The image boot switch copies the entire boot track, including the boot sector, when creating a disk image file or copying disk-to-disk. Use this switch when installed applications, such as
boot-time utilities, use the boot track to store information
(this would be like your encryption utiltiy program--perhaps!). By default, Norton Ghost copies only the boot sector, and does not copy the remainder of the boot track. You cannot perform partition-to-partition or partition-to-image functions with the -ib switch.

More information on Switches here:

Switches: Alphabetical list of switches

IP Logged

victory

giving up. buying a mac?
Reply #13 - May 21st, 2005 at 5:41pm

Cry Cry

depressed.
after all this and two local consultants, it appears now there's new problems. now none of my partitions exist.  i missed the last week of backups of personal data before the crash due to problems at xdrive and difficulties with my laptops, so i'm out all that work.

i think the encryption compounds the windows problems, but at heart it is windows. the encryption people should know what common software conflicts with their programs, but it could all be avoided by not using windows. maybe.

i'm thinking about buying a mac now if i can find a good full disk on the fly encryption program for it. i'm considering linux etc also, but i think i want off this pc platform entirely.  the fact that a mac has the hardware, os, and software all tightly controlled by one company makes a lot of sense.

i just spent 1800$ on this dell a few months ago, but it has easily cost me $6000+ in lost work.  and i just can't deal with it anymore. the frusteration factor is almost enough to make me jump off a bridge. seriously. i can't handle it.

i realize this isn't a mac forum, but what do ya'll think?
does anyone here use a mac?
how about alternate os?

i know the whole ghost and systemworks2005 package is available for mac. i guess different companies actually wrote the mac components and norton bought them to make the suite?  is that the case with the symantec 'go back' product too?

i use my machine mainly for adobe photoshop, microsoft word&excel and the internet. and my main concerns are reliable easy backups and full disk encryption. and it has to be a laptop.

any input appreciated.
v.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #14 - May 21st, 2005 at 6:00pm

victory

If you can test and determine if this is possible you might want to try to disable the encryption before doing the Ghost procedure, do the image (password protect that image through Ghost if you need the Ghost image to be encrypted), then re-enable the encryption after making the Ghost backup--that might make your investment useful for now--but you have to do a couple extra steps.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print