Norton Ghost (Read 152560 times)
nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Re: Norton Ghost
Reply #15 - Nov 18th, 2007 at 9:17am

nemo1 wrote on Nov 18th, 2007 at 8:22am:
Quote:
Here is a solution to creating Bootable System Restore DVD's using Norton Ghost any Version. and Ahead Nero Burning Rom.
Not Nero Express.

========================================
1. Start with a Windows ME boot disk and keep only these files

AUTOEXEC.BAT
CD1.SYS
CONFIG.SYS
MOUSE.COM (get this from disk 1 of a ghost boot floppy)
MOUSE.INI (get this from disk 1 of a ghost boot floppy)
MSCDEX.EXE
IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS
COMMAND.COM

========================================

I can't seem to find the files in Windows ME startup disk. Any can sent me a copy of those files?

Thanks

I was able to find those highlighted in red in a file I downloaded in the download section. File Name = Ghost 2003 bootable floppy for WinXP Pro SP2. I can fins the one highlighted in blue in the bootdisk from the link that you adviced but not able to find the rest. It doesn't seems to be in the bootdisk of Windows ME.

AUTOEXEC.BAT

CD1.SYS
CONFIG.SYS

MSCDEX.EXE

IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS
COMMAND.COM

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Reply #16 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 1:36am

nemo1

*io.sys* and *msdos.sys* are DOS system boot files.

Have you set Windows Explorer to show *all files*?  If not, system files may be *hidden* when you look for them!

If you have not set Windows Explorer folder options to show all files, you can do the following--open Windows Explorer, select menu item *Tools/Folder Options...*:

Once in *Folder Options*, click on the *View* tab, make your settings like this:

I click on *Apply to All Folders*, and if needed *Apply*, and finally *OK*.  Now, all files should be visible when using Windows Explorer.

Quote:
CD1.SYS

I don't believe that is actually a DOS CD-ROM driver--it is a mis-statement!  See the reply #11 and #12:

Quote:
I figured it out. Find a dvd drive driver for dos (a *.sys) and put it into your *.ima file. Make sure you change the config.sys file to DEVICE=dosdvd.sys(or whatever yours is) instead of DEVICE=cd1.sys

For most IDE CD and DVD ROM drives--*oakcdrom.sys* works.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #17 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 8:19am

After we burn the DVD, are we suppose to see any boot disk files in the DVD or just the .gho file....I have followed all the instructions but the DVD that I created doesn't seems to be able to boot. What could I have done wrong.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #18 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 9:30am

nemo1

Quote:
After we burn the DVD, are we suppose to see any boot disk files in the DVD or just the .gho file....

No--the boot files are in a *hidden* boot sector on the DVD--you can only *see* those with one of the programs that work with ISO files and bootable optical discs such as IsoBuster or MagicIso--there are others.  Regular Windows programs will not be able to see the *hidden* boot sector!

Quote:
I have followed all the instructions but the DVD that I created doesn't seems to be able to boot. What could I have done wrong.

Well...impossible to tell from this vantage point--you will have to outline what *instructions* you followed in a step-by-step fashion in order to see where the problem might be!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #19 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 10:17am

What I have done is this:

1. I followed the link that you posted:

Boot floopy disks and ISO files for bootable CD discs from Allbootdisks.com

and copied these files:

AUTOEXEC.BAT
CD1.SYS
CONFIG.SYS
MSCDEX.EXE
IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS
COMMAND.COM
oakcdrom.sys (download from web and following your instructions, including changes in the config.sys file)

These lines are in my config.sys:

FILES=30
BUFFERS=20
DEVICE=oakcdrom.sys /D:tomato
LASTDRIVE=Z

then I got this two:

from,
Ghost 2003 bootable floppy for WinXP Pro SP2
found in the download area. Then I follow step number 2 and 3 from reply #8.

2. I copied all of the above file to a floppy disk. Then I proceed to step number 4 in reply #8 to create the image file using winimage.

3. Finally I burn the DVD following instructions in reply #8. With the .ima file and my .gho file.

Then I reboot my system and set to boot from cd-rom but it wasn't able to boot.

Please Help

Thanks a million.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #20 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 10:40am

nemo1

What is the contents of your *autoexec.bat* file?

Try a test boot using the floppy disks--if they boot okay, then we know it has to be your use of *WinImage* and/or your burning to optical disc!

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #21 - Nov 19th, 2007 at 8:26pm

Content of my AUTOEXEC.BAT

@echo off

MSCDEX.EXE  /D:tomato /L:R
SET TZ=GHO+08:00
prompt $p$g
MOUSE.COM
for %%i in (r:\*.gho) do set image=%%i
echo Loading...
\ghost\ghost.exe -clone,mode=load,src=%image%,dst=1

Am I good to go?

OK I will try to boot with the boot disk see if it is able to boot.

Thanks NightOwl...you 've been a big help.

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #22 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 5:47am

Confirmed, the boot disk that I have created was not able to boot. What could be wrong? Please help.

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #23 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 8:59am

Finally got it working. Thanks NightOwl, a few questions.

1. How to get it to work with USB drives during recovery?
2. The file ghost.exe is it suitable for any PC? or I have to install Norton Ghost 2003 to a particular PC and get the ghost.exe from there?
3. If I have my recovery files in another HDD, can I make a boot CD and then recover from the other HDD? The boot CD, is it the one created using Norton Ghost 2003 utilities (CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost) for example and then creating an image using winimage and burn it to the CD? like what is thought in reply #8.

Thank You

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #24 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 10:00am

nemo1

Glad to hear you sorted it out--what did you need to change to get the floppy disk to boot correctly--your answer helps others learn!

Quote:
1. How to get it to work with USB drives during recovery?

When you add more DOS drivers, you may run out of room on the 1.44 MB boot disk floppy and/or the standard 1.44 MB hidden boot sector on a bootable disc.  So you may have to place *ghost.exe* on the data portion of an optical boot disc--or use a two floppy boot disk set with *ghost.exe* on the second floppy.

Here's a thread talking about adding DOS USB drivers to my custom boot disc using my Guide--Creating Bootable CD/DVD's Without A:\Floppy Drive:

Adding USB to Ghost Boot CD

Quote:
2. The file ghost.exe is it suitable for any PC?

Yes.  But technically you are supposed to have a Ghost license for each PC Ghost is used on.

Quote:
3. If I have my recovery files in another HDD, can I make a boot CD and then recover from the other HDD?

As long as Ghost can see the source for the image file (i.e. another local HDD, external USB HDD, network mapped HDD, optical media, USB flash media), then Ghost can use that image source to deliver it to any seen destination HDD.

Quote:
The boot CD, is it the one created using Norton Ghost 2003 utilities (CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost) for example and then creating an image using winimage and burn it to the CD? like what is thought in reply #8.

That would work--but Ghost 2003 only creates boot floppy disks--not bootable optical disks.  And, that *CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost* is a two floppy boot disk set with *ghost.exe* on the second floppy.  You have to place the *ghost.exe* on the data portion of the bootable optical disc in order to have enough room for the DOS boot and driver files on the 1.44 MB boot sector.  Then adjust *config.sys* and *autoexec.bat* to reflect the placement of the *ghost.exe* file.

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #25 - Nov 20th, 2007 at 8:05pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 20th, 2007 at 10:00am:
nemo1

Glad to hear you sorted it out--what did you need to change to get the floppy disk to boot correctly--your answer helps others learn!

What I did is I took a normal ME boot disk and tried it step by step. Here is what I did.
1. I boot up using the normal ME boot floppy disk found in the download area.
2. I remove the other files keeping only those mentioned in reply #8.
3. Boot from this floppy disk again. It worked.
4. Do the changes (step 2 and 3) from reply #8.
5. Try again wether I am able to boot from this floppy disk. It booted the PC fine.
6. Then only I create the image file and burn to a cd and try to boot from CD.

Previously what I did is I downloaded the files of the ME boot disk and paste (only those listed in reply #8) it in a floppy disk. This disk was not able to boot.

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #26 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 2:37am

Hi NightOwl,

Do you have a boot disk that will support IDE, USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 drives. Also able to boot norton ghost and partition magic. For I/O would like to include PS2 and USB mouse and keyboard. Wonder if all that is possible. I am thinking of a boot disk with all those functions mentioned with a menu to choose which function I would like to load. ex: partition magic and then norton ghost and finally my image file in another CD or portable HDD.

Another question. Lets say I have a 40G HDD with two partitions in it and I ghost this HDD. When I recover it to another HDD of the same size but not partitioned. Will ghost create the partition for me or I need to create the same partition and then recover.

Thanks.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #27 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 8:50am

nemo1

Quote:
Another question. Lets say I have a 40G HDD with two partitions in it and I ghost this HDD. When I recover it to another HDD of the same size but not partitioned. Will ghost create the partition for me or I need to create the same partition and then recover.

If your image is of the *whole disk*, and you use *Local > Disk > from Image*, then Ghost will create the same partition structure as the original source disk--and will adjust the partition sizes if the new HDD is not the same size (and you get to change the partition sizes if you want).

If you use *Local > Partition > from Image*, now the partition structure has to exist before restoring the partition to the disk.

Quote:
Do you have a boot disk that will support IDE, USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 drives. Also able to boot norton ghost and partition magic. For I/O would like to include PS2 and USB mouse and keyboard. Wonder if all that is possible. I am thinking of a boot disk with all those functions mentioned with a menu to choose which function I would like to load. ex: partition magic and then norton ghost and finally my image file in another CD or portable HDD.

I'm working on just such a boot disc:  NightOwl's Radified Boot Disc Iso.

Adding the variable of USB mouse and keyboard support may be a problem--because the system BIOS is changing so much over time as to what USB functions are supported by the BIOS--it's hard to know what variable(s) will be needed to make everything work compatibly!  But, I plan on working on it to see if it's possible.

USB support for the *mass storage* (i.e. HDD and flash drives) is different than support for mouse and keyboard function!

IP Logged

nbree
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 7:12pm

NightOwl wrote on Nov 21st, 2007 at 8:50am:
USB support for the *mass storage* (i.e. HDD and flash drives) is different than support for mouse and keyboard function!

Indeed. It's even worse when the mass storage and the human interface devices are on the same host adapter, because there's no real way to share the USB host adapter between BIOS and external hardware; since most BIOSes only support mass storage devices when booting from them, by and large to get HDD support you have to disable any BIOS support for the human-interface that does exist (and losing the keyboard is no damn good).

To get both USB human interface devices and mass storage running reliably with DOS-based code your only real option is some kind of light-weight virtualization (e.g. with DOSemu under Linux) to hide the USB stack - i.e., provide BIOS access to the mass storage devices and hardware emulation of the classic PS/2 or Mouse System mouse (and keyboard).

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #29 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 9:15am

Hi NightOwl,

Thanks for the info, I followed below method to create a boot disk with USB support. I got a few problems.

1. I was only able to detect my HDD (after changing it to FAT32 file system) but was not able to detect my external dvd rom drive. It is a pioneer dvr-k05 with an external case, connected to the PC thru USB2.0 ....could it be any bios settings? Edit: Think there is something wrong with my casing for dvd-rom. Its not able to be detected even in Windows. Wonder what could be wrong, it was ok previously.

2. I tried to start ghost from the CD that I have created. In DOS I typed "x:" then "cd ghost" then "ghost". It loads the ghost program but it takes a long time to load. Is this normal?

3. I tried to start pqmagic from CD. In DOS I typed "x:" then "cd pqmagic" then "pqmagic". It loads pqmagic but I was not able to detect my external USB2 HDD but I was able to detect this HDD when in DOS before I start pqmagic. What could be wrong?

4. Is that the way to load ghost and pqmagic from the boot CD. I still could not really understand what this line:
Path=a:\y:\;y:\ghost;y:\pqmagic  
in autoexec.bat is for.

BTW my MB only supports USB1.1 Do I need to remove /e from the line:

Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v  

in config.sys?

Thank You very much...I have learned quite a lot....Thanks

NightOwl wrote on Jul 1st, 2005 at 12:51am:
See if this works:

I created the following bootable system floppy disk under Win98se:

[config.sys]    

Device=himem.sys    
Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v  
Device=di1000dd.sys
Device=oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001  
Dos=high  
Lastdrive=z    

[autoexec.bat]    

Path=a:\y:\;y:\ghost;y:\pqmagic  
Mouse.com
Mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /l:x /m:16 /v    

[Files on the Bootable System Floppy Disk]    

Autoexec.bat    
Command.com    
Config.sys    
Di1000dd.sys    
Himem.sys    
Io.sys    
Mouse.com  
Msdos.sys  
Mscdex.exe  
Usbasipi.sys

I then created a subdirectory on my C:\ drive named 'Ghost' and copied the DOS program 'Ghost.exe' to it.

I then created a subdirectory on my C:\ drive named 'Pqmagic' and copied the files from the 'C:\Program Files\PowerQuest\PartitionMagic 8.0\DOS' subdirectory to it.

I then did the following steps to create a bootable CD:

1.  Opened Roxio Easy CD Creator 5

2.  Rt clicked the 'File' menu item

3.  Selected 'New CD Project'/'Bootable CD'

In the 'Choose Type of Bootable CD' I selected 'Floppy Disk Emulation (1.44 MB)' and selected 'Generate Image from Floppy.  Please insert a bootable floppy disk in drive A and click OK.'

Inserted the above bootable floppy and the program read the bootable floppy and added 'bootcat.bin' and 'bootimg.bin' to the lower screen where the files to be burned to the CD are listed.

4.  I then highlited the 'Pqmagic' subdirectory in the upper screen (source files), and clicked 'add' so it now showed in the lower screen of files/directories to be burned to the CD.

5.  I then highlited the 'Ghost' subdirectory in the upper screen (source files), and clicked 'add' so it now showed in the lower screen of files/directories to be burned to the CD.

6.  I then clicked 'record', and I had a bootable CD with Ghost, PartitionMagic, and the Panasonic Univeral USB Driver on it.

Notes:

1.  The 'Device=oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001' mounts the optical drive(s), and 'Mscdex.exe' assigns the drive letters in DOS for the optical drives.  

The '/l:x' switch tells 'Mscdex.exe' to assign the first optical drive it detects with drive letter 'x', and any additional optical drives will be 'y' and 'z' if present.  You can change the '/l:x' to whatever starting letter you want.  I have two optical drives--a CD-R/RW and a DVD-Rom--so they are assigned drive letters 'x' and 'y' respectively.  On my system, if the 'path' statement points to both of the optical drives, I get a 'CDR101: Not ready reading drive x,  Abort, Retry, Fail' if the first drive in the path statement is not the boot drive.  So I only put the drive I prefer to boot from in the path statement.  I can always change to the other one if I need to.

2.  I have found that on my system, that it is important to load the Panasonic Univeral USB driver files before the 'oakcdrom.sys' program because the system will hang more often then not if the 'oakcdrom.sys' is loaded first.

3.  Might want to use a CD-RW blank at first for testing if you can.  I had to redo things several times to work out the 'bugs', and being able to erase and start over without having to waste multiple CD-R's was helpful.  
 IP Logged

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 6
Send Topic Print