Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Norton Ghost
Reply #30 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 9:29am

nemo1

That works!

One note:  the path statement is incorrect--I must have copied and pasted from a boot disc I was using because my boot drive was assigned Y instead of X.

Technically, you are better off if you boot from the CD drive that gets assigned X, and the path should be:

Path=a:\;x:\;x:\ghost;x:\pqmagic

You're likely to get a DOS error if there is no media to search in Y if you have booted from X!  or the other way around if you booted from Y and attempt to search X and there is no media to access in the second optical drive!

There's a minor syntax error in the originally quoted information in the path statement:

Quote:
Path=a:\y:\;y:\ghost;y:\pqmagic

Should be:

Quote:
Path=a:\;y:\;y:\ghost;y:\pqmagic

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #31 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 10:05am

nemo1

I missed your questions in reply #29 initially--so here's some answers:

Quote:
BTW my MB only supports USB1.1 Do I need to remove /e from the line:

Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v  

Yes.  The */e* parameter forces the USB driver to only see USB 2.0--it will ignore USB 1.x.

Quote:
1. I was only able to detect my HDD (after changing it to FAT32 file system) but was not able to detect my external dvd rom drive. It is a pioneer dvr-k05 with an external case, connected to the PC thru USB2.0 ....could it be any bios settings?

Does your external optical drive support USB 1.x?  If your motherboard only supports USB 1.1 and the optical drive is 2.0--this should not work--unless your optical drive is downward compatible with USB 1.x!

Also, an external optical drive can not be mounted by using *oakcdrom*--that works only with internal IDE optical drives!

There is a DOS optical driver that will mount external USB optical drives--I have no personal experience as I don't have USB opticals--but here's the original source reference and it shows how to use the DOS USB optical driver:  Yes, there are USB drivers for DOS...

This should allow you to access the external optical drive, but unless Ghost has the ability to access the USB optical drive using its built-in drivers--it will not be able to *write* to a recording optical drive--only read from the disc.

Quote:
2. I tried to start ghost from the CD that I have created. In DOS I typed "x:" then "cd ghost" then "ghost". It loads the ghost program but it takes a long time to load. Is this normal?

Usually, if Ghost takes a long time to load, that means it's scanning and *thinking* about some device that it does not immediately recognize--usually you get an error message and load failure when this happens--but not always.  The devices that Ghost is looking at are the HDD's and optical drives--so you would have to see if one of those is not entirely compatible with Ghost--to test, you would have to remove different components and substitute others to see which one is the problem.

Quote:
3. I tried to start pqmagic from CD. In DOS I typed "x:" then "cd pqmagic" then "pqmagic". It loads pqmagic but I was not able to detect my external USB2 HDD but I was able to detect this HDD when in DOS before I start pqmagic. What could be wrong?

Did you remove that */e* parameter--again if you have the */e* parameter--and your MB only supports USB 1.1--then you would not see that HDD--unless your BIOS is somehow offering USB HDD support--but that BIOS USB DOS driver may not allow for PartitionMagic to work correctly with the USB HDD--not all drivers work with all DOS programs!  So, would have to figure out what driver is actually at work here.

Quote:
4. Is that the way to load ghost and pqmagic from the boot CD. I still could not really understand what this line: Path=a:\y:\;y:\ghost;y:\pqmagic  in autoexec.bat is for.

The DOS *path* statement tells DOS where to look for programs without having to use the DOS commands to manually change the DOS prompt focus from one drive to the next and to a specific sub-directory.

As noted above in my previous reply, there were mistakes--by the way--where are you quoting that from--I couldn't find it--I want to correct the misinformation!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #32 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 10:52am

Here is where I found the guide.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=10954... on reply #20

I will try out base on the advice that you have given and post the results. I am thinking now instead of using the optical USB drive to boot, why not just boot from my external HDD. I could have everything inside my external HDD.

I am thinking all the contents of the boot disk, IDE and USB drive support, Ghost, partition magic and my image files all in the external HDD. Is that possible? how to make it boot from external HDD?

Thank You.  Wink

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #33 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 11:24am

nemo1

Quote:
I am thinking now instead of using the optical USB drive to boot, why not just boot from my external HDD.

Booting from the USB external HDD requires that your BIOS supports that!  And if the BIOS supports booting from a USB HDD, it usually supports booting from a USB optical drive too--and the DOS USB drivers are not needed--and will probably conflict with the BIOS USB drivers.  But, you may not be able to use the USB devices in DOS--apparently booting from an external USB device does not also offer DOS drive letter assignments--so you may not be able to access the data on the drive through DOS!

I don't have the ability to boot from a USB device on my systems--so I've not had a chance to play with that as an option.

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #34 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 9:20pm

NightOwl wrote on Jul 1st, 2005 at 12:51am:
See if this works:

I created the following bootable system floppy disk under Win98se:

[config.sys]    

Device=himem.sys    
Device=usbaspi.sys /e /v  
Device=di1000dd.sys
Device=oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001  
Dos=high  
Lastdrive=z    

[autoexec.bat]    

Path=a:\y:\;y:\ghost;y:\pqmagic  
Mouse.com
Mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /l:x /m:16 /v  

I followed the link that you posted:

Yes, there are USB drivers for DOS...

and found this:

[config.sys]
DOS=HIGH,UMB
lastdrive=Z
device=HIMEM.SYS
rem The following line loads Panasonic's universal USB- controller driver
devicehigh=USBASPI.SYS /v /w /e
rem the following is an aspi mass storage driver for usb- connected HDs and compactflash memory cards
devicehigh=DI1000DD.SYS
rem The following one loads CD-ROM driver
devicehigh=USBCD.SYS /d:USBCD001

[autoexec.bat]
@echo off
REM the following line adds a drive letter to the usb cd(rom/r/rw) mounted
LH MSCDEX /d:USBCD001

The lines highlighted in red is not in the guide that you previously posted. Do we need to include these 2 lines?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #35 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 11:25pm

nemo1

Yes, for loading the USB optical DOS driver--that appears to be the correct boot file command lines.

Now, just add the *USBCD.SYS* to the boot files.

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #36 - Nov 22nd, 2007 at 11:59pm

I found one usbcd.sys in the F2H directory. Do I use this file? Any specific content to be in this file? I tried to open it but couldn't read it using notepad. Correct me if I am wrong, the final contents I am going to try is as below:

[config.sys]    

device=HIMEM.SYS    
devicehigh=USBASPI.SYS /v /w
Rem removed /e to support USB1.1

devicehigh=DI1000DD.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB  
lastdrive=Z

[autoexec.bat]    

Rem corrected path with x:

Mouse.com

[Files on the Bootable System Floppy Disk]    

Autoexec.bat    
Command.com    
Config.sys    
Di1000dd.sys    
Himem.sys    
Io.sys    
Mouse.com
Mouse.ini  
Msdos.sys  
Mscdex.exe  
Usbasipi.sys
(is the spelling correct or it should be usbaspi.sys?)

USBCD.SYS
oakcdrom.sys  

I am hoping to boot up with USB (optical and HDD) and IDE (optical and HDD) support. Then have ghost and pqmagic in content of CD. Am I good to go? Please correct any problems or conflict that you foresee. Any files that I am missing?

Thanks a million.  Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #37 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 1:45am

nemo1

Quote:
Usbasipi.sys (is the spelling correct or it should be usbaspi.sys?)

My spelling is wrong--you should correct it to what you noted!

Quote:

I think these two lines can be combined to be:

Mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /d:USBCD001 /l:x /m:16 /v

But, you may have to experiment to be sure.

For completeness--the two *DeviceHigh* commands in [config.sys] and the *LH* (LoadHigh)  in [autoexec.bat] will have no effect--you can only load DOS programs *high* if you have an upper memory manager such as *emm386.sys* loaded first!  But, those commands do no harm either--the programs will simply be loaded *low*!

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #38 - Nov 23rd, 2007 at 2:06am

Thanks...super support...excellent...I'll give it a try and report back.

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #39 - Nov 24th, 2007 at 5:03am

NightOwl wrote on Nov 23rd, 2007 at 1:45am:

I think these two lines can be combined to be:

Hi NightOwl,

Yes it all worked like you said it would. I combined the 2 lines and it worked. Now I have a bootable CD with:

1. IDE support
2. USB HDD & Optical support
3. Ghost and Pqmagic with correct path.

Thanks NightOwl...you've been great.

1. Another question regarding ghost 2003. I have a PC with one HDD and 2 partitions. I then tried to ghost this HDD(whole) and keep the .gho file in another external HDD (with FAT32 file system). When it is done I get two files in the external HDD. Another one is ghost spanned image file. Do you have any idea what this file is and why is it not combined to only one file?

NightOwl wrote on Nov 22nd, 2007 at 11:24am:
Booting from the USB external HDD requires that your BIOS supports that!  And if the BIOS supports booting from a USB HDD, it usually supports booting from a USB optical drive too--and the DOS USB drivers are not needed--and will probably conflict with the BIOS USB drivers.

My bios supports booting from USB HDD.

NightOwl wrote on Nov 22nd, 2007 at 11:24am:
But, you may not be able to use the USB devices in DOS--apparently booting from an external USB device does not also offer DOS drive letter assignments--so you may not be able to access the data on the drive through DOS!

I don't have the ability to boot from a USB device on my systems--so I've not had a chance to play with that as an option.

2. Is there anything that I could tried or someone have already tried it before?

3. If I were to boot from USB HDD, do I just place all the content of the boot floppy disk in the USB HDD without any folders?

4. When I try to create a backup, I see this few options in advanced settings (refer to image below). Do you know what they are for?

Thanks for the support that you have given me...its unbelievable

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #40 - Nov 24th, 2007 at 10:12am

nemo1

Quote:
Yes it all worked like you said it would. I combined the 2 lines and it worked.

Thanks for the report back with your efforts--glad to hear it's working!

Quote:
1. Another question regarding ghost 2003. I have a PC with one HDD and 2 partitions. I then tried to ghost this HDD(whole) and keep the .gho file in another external HDD (with FAT32 file system). When it is done I get two files in the external HDD. Another one is ghost spanned image file. Do you have any idea what this file is and why is it not combined to only one file?

Ghost 2003 is DOS based--and DOS has a file size limit of approx. 2 GB.  So, if you image is larger than 2 GB, then Ghost 2003 will *span* the image to multiple files as needed.  The *imagename.gho* is the first file, and the *imag0001.ghs* is/are the spanned additional file(s).

I think FAT32 partitions can technically have a larger max file size--but Ghost 2003 defaults to that 2 GB size--and although NTFS can have even larger file sizes, and Ghost 2003 can save images to NTFS partitions, it still stays at 2 GB.

I think the Corporate Ghost v8.3 introduced the ability to make larger image file sizes--but that does not apply to Ghost 2003.

Quote:
Quote:
Booting from the USB external HDD requires that your BIOS supports that!  And if the BIOS supports booting from a USB HDD, it usually supports booting from a USB optical drive too--and the DOS USB drivers are not needed--and will probably conflict with the BIOS USB drivers.

My bios supports booting from USB HDD.

Quote:
But, you may not be able to use the USB devices in DOS--apparently booting from an external USB device does not also offer DOS drive letter assignments--so you may not be able to access the data on the drive through DOS!

2. Is there anything that I could tried or someone have already tried it before?

Booting from external HDD or flash memory stick seems to be supported by newer BIOS's--but I don't know if those devices are assigned DOS drive letters or not if you are booting to DOS--you would have to do some tests to see.

Quote:
3. If I were to boot from USB HDD, do I just place all the content of the boot floppy disk in the USB HDD without any folders?

The critical procedure you have to do is to make the USB device a *system* drive--do a Google search on make usb device bootable, and you will probably find the needed guide for doing that.

Quote:
4. When I try to create a backup, I see this few options in advanced settings (refer to image below). Do you know what they are for?

Those screen shots have to do with setting things up using the Windows Ghost interface to prepare for Ghost closing down Windows and booting to DOS--these settings help you add certain drivers to the eventual *virtual partition* so Ghost can properly access devices once re-booted to DOS.

1st screen shot shows the list of USB devices that are found--but the message below the list says Ghost may not be able to access that device once booted to DOS--it did not *recognize* the device so that it knows what driver to use.

2nd screen shot are the options you can select for USB support and Firewire support--you can not use USB 2.0 if your device is only USB 1.1!

3rd screen shot is regarding optical drive access once booted to the *virtual partition*--Ghost 2003 has built-in DOS optical drive access for writing a Ghost image directly to optical media--and reading a Ghost created optical image file--but, if the Ghost image was not created directly by Ghost, then you can not use that built-in access--and must load DOS drivers to mount and assign drive letters to the optical drive in order to access files in DOS.

You can select different options and then move on to the next step(s) until you reach the *summary* page where it shows you what has been set up and the contents of *autoexec.bat* and *config.sys*--you can learn from those summaries how Ghost has been configured for those different settings--you can then *Cancel* or *go back* and make changes without ever actually performing the task.

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #41 - Nov 25th, 2007 at 9:44am

Thanks for the info.

NightOwl wrote on Nov 24th, 2007 at 10:12am:
Ghost 2003 is DOS based--and DOS has a file size limit of approx. 2 GB.  So, if you image is larger than 2 GB, then Ghost 2003 will *span* the image to multiple files as needed.  The *imagename.gho* is the first file, and the *imag0001.ghs* is/are the spanned additional file(s).

During recovery time, will ghost 2003 continue with the second file automatically?

NightOwl wrote on Nov 24th, 2007 at 10:12am:
Booting from external HDD or flash memory stick seems to be supported by newer BIOS's--but I don't know if those devices are assigned DOS drive letters or not if you are booting to DOS--you would have to do some tests to see.

I did a test (boot from USB CD-Rom) with the CD that I just created. The CD has IDE support, USB (HDD & Optical), ghost and pqmagic. I get message as below:

The following file is missing or corrupted: DI1000DD.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 3

The following file is missing or corrupted: USBCD.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 4

The following file is missing or corrupted: OAKCDROM.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 5

The following file is missing or corrupted: COMMAND.COM
Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)

Previously this CD was able to boot from IDE cd-rom. After boot it was able to detect USB HDD & optical. I tested it with IDE cd-rom and its ok. Below is the autoexec.bat and config.sys of the CD.

Content of Autoexec.bat:

Mouse.com  

Content of config.sys

device=HIMEM.SYS      
devicehigh=DI1000DD.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB    
lastdrive=Z

Previously I tried to create an cd(following guide as shown below, reply #8 by Ian Wilkinson) that will automatically load ghost and start recovery and it worked but the CD does not have USB(optical and HDD) support.  

Quote:
========================================

2. Change your autoexec.bat using notepad to match the following:

@echo off

MSCDEX.EXE  /D:tomato /L:R
SET TZ=GHO+08:00
prompt $p$g
MOUSE.COM
for %%i in (r:\*.gho) do set image=%%i
echo Loading...
\ghost\ghost.exe -clone,mode=load,src=%image%,dst=1

3. Change your config.sys using notepad to match the following:

FILES=30
BUFFERS=20
DEVICE=cd1.SYS /D:tomato
LASTDRIVE=Z

How can I make a CD with IDE, USB (HDD & Optical), ghost, pqmagic and will automatically load ghost and start recovery? I tried with below autoexec.bat, config.sys and content of boot floppy disk (highlighted in yellow) but it did not work.

How can I make a CD/DVD that will automatically load ghost and start recovery also with IDE, USB (Optical & HDD), ghost and pqmagic with path(Path=a:\;x:\;x:\ghost;x:\pqmagic ) in case I decide not the go with the file in the automatic recovery so that I can continue(ghost or pqmagic) with the same disk.

For below test I included ghost.exe in boot area(2.88M). If I want to create a DVD as mentioned, do I need to place another ghost.exe inside the DVD. I think I have to place pqmagic inside the DVD because of not enough space in boot area(2.88M) but wat about ghost.exe since I already have a copy in boot area(2.88M)?

Content of Autoexec.bat:

@echo off
SET TZ=GHO+08:00
prompt $p$g
MOUSE.COM
for %%i in (r:\*.gho) do set image=%%i
echo Loading...
\ghost\ghost.exe -clone,mode=load,src=%image%,dst=1

Content of config.sys

device=HIMEM.SYS      
devicehigh=DI1000DD.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB    
lastdrive=Z

Content of boot floppy disk

One more question, its more like an advice that I would like to get. If I were to do a recovery for a PC trying to avoid using IDE for booting (prefer USB), what would be the best method? USB HDD, USB Stick or USB DVD-Rom?

Many Thanks..appreciate it..

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #42 - Nov 25th, 2007 at 11:39am

nemo1

Quote:
1. During recovery time, will ghost 2003 continue with the second file automatically?

If the files are in the same sub-directory--then it should all be automatic.

Quote:
2. I did a test (boot from USB CD-Rom) with the CD that I just created. The CD has IDE support, USB (HDD & Optical), ghost and pqmagic. I get message as below:

etc.

It's becoming unclear what you have done--are the error messages coming from booting the same system,--or different systems?

Are you booting successfully from IDE, but not USB optical drive--on same system?

At first glance, it may be using the 2.88 MB boot sector vs 1.44 MB boot sector--but don't know for sure--need more specific detail as to what is working under what circumstance--and using what system?

Quote:
How can I make a CD with IDE, USB (HDD & Optical), ghost, pqmagic and will automatically load ghost and start recovery? I tried with below autoexec.bat, config.sys and content of boot floppy disk (highlighted in yellow) but it did not work.

Your list of files does not mention *ghost.exe* being present--so I don't know for sure what you are doing here.

Quote:
How can I make a CD/DVD that will automatically load ghost and start recovery also with IDE, USB (Optical & HDD), ghost and pqmagic with path(Path=a:\;x:\;x:\ghost;x:\pqmagic ) in case I decide not the go with the file in the automatic recovery so that I can continue(ghost or pqmagic) with the same disk.

Ian Wilkinson used this command line:

Code:
MSCDEX.EXE  /D:tomato /L:R 

That forces the first optical drive seen by DOS to give it drive letter R:\--you will have to note what drive letters are assigned to what optical drive--and adjust you path statement to match and/or your command lines to match.

Quote:
4. One more question, its more like an advice that I would like to get. If I were to do a recovery for a PC trying to avoid using IDE for booting (prefer USB), what would be the best method? USB HDD, USB Stick or USB DVD-Rom?

As I stated before, I don't have any system that can boot from USB devices--so I have no way to answer--maybe someone else who is doing this with USB devices will offer an opinion.

I'm still not sure if you will be able to access your USB devices in DOS if you have first used the BIOS ability to boot from a USB device initially--have you determined that yet?

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #43 - Nov 26th, 2007 at 9:30am

Sorry to have caused confusion and repeated questions. Maybe I should ask my questions one by one. What I have tested is:

1. I create a bootable CD as below (as reply #36). This CD when booted thru a IDE cd-rom it is able to detect my USB hdd & optical.

nemo1 wrote on Nov 22nd, 2007 at 11:59pm:
[config.sys]    

device=HIMEM.SYS    
Rem removed /e to support USB1.1

devicehigh=DI1000DD.SYS
DOS=HIGH,UMB  
lastdrive=Z

[autoexec.bat]    

Rem corrected path with x:

Mouse.com

[Files on the Bootable System Floppy Disk]    

Autoexec.bat    
Command.com    
Config.sys    
Di1000dd.sys    
Himem.sys    
Io.sys    
Mouse.com
Mouse.ini  
Msdos.sys  
Mscdex.exe  
Usbasipi.sys
(is the spelling correct or it should be usbaspi.sys?)

USBCD.SYS
oakcdrom.sys

2. Next I try to boot from USB cd-rom. So what I did is I set to boot from usb cd-rom in bios and place the above disk in the usb cd-rom. It booted but I am getting error messages as below:

The following file is missing or corrupted: DI1000DD.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 3

The following file is missing or corrupted: USBCD.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 4

The following file is missing or corrupted: OAKCDROM.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 5

The following file is missing or corrupted: COMMAND.COM
Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)

NightOwl wrote on Nov 25th, 2007 at 11:39am:
It's becoming unclear what you have done--are the error messages coming from booting the same system,--or different systems?

Are you booting successfully from IDE, but not USB optical drive--on same system?

I moved to another system that is able to boot from usb cd-rom. I tested the disk first using a ide cd-rom and it worked well, detecting my usb hdd and optical.

Next I set my bios to boot from usb cd-rom, then I place the disk in the usb cd-rom. When boot, I get the error messages as shown above.  I created the cd in a system that was not able to boot from usb devices. This cd when booted thru ide cd-rom in both systems, it worked well. When I change to usb cd-rom I get the error message. This is done in the system that was able to boot from usb devices.

Hope it is clearer now on what I have tested.

Another test that I did is to boot from USB thumb drive using content as above but getting the same error messages.

I am not sure if this is the place to ask these questions. I will remove them if its not. Don't want to mess up this forum.

Thanks for the help. You've helped a lot.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #44 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 10:17am

nemo1

Quote:
I am not sure if this is the place to ask these questions. I will remove them if its not. Don't want to mess up this forum.

This original thread comes from the *old* forum--technically it probably belongs in the DOS Ghost forum or the Non-Ghost technical forum--being as it's regarding using USB in DOS and not strictly a Ghost issue per se--but what the heck....

Thanks for the clarifications--I think I follow now what you have done.

As I mentioned--I don't have the USB external CD-ROM to work with--but, if you're willing--I'd like to give you some testing setups to try and see what the results are to see if we can find a working solution--but you would have to be the tester!

It seems like if the BIOS is going to give the option to boot from an external USB optical drive, then it should also provide for some way to actually access that USB optical drive after booting--and that's what we need to determine--i.e. is that possible?

I've been doing some searching and reading--and there seems to be a lot of questions about if/how to do this--but I can not tell if any of the suggested answers work without a test system--are you *in*?!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print