NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound--USA

Re: Norton Ghost
Reply #60 - Dec 1st, 2007 at 2:46pm

nemo1

This information is *wonderful*!  Thank you for all the testing you are doing--and reporting!

Quote:
I found a CD that was able to boot from external USB CDROM.

Is there a link to that source?

Quote:
1. An internal IDE CDROM.
2. External 5.25" DVD-ROM with USB2.0 converter
3. Slim DVD-RAM with converter to USB2.0
4. External IDE 2.5" HDD with USB2.0 converter.

All was given a drive letter x:, y: and z: ....could change it from this line(highlighted):

mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /d:USBCD001 /l:x /M:16 /v

As long as you *only* have three optical drives then * /l:x* is okay--but *x* could be lowered to something less if desired or needed.

Quote:
in autoexec.bat as well. USB HDD was given drive letter c:

Your other partitions on your internal HDD(s) must be other than FAT!

Quote:
Quote:
If you reverse the order of loading the optical drive drivers in [config.sys]--does that change which DOS drive letter is assigned to which drive:

I have not tried this yet. Will try it out.

The reason I'm interested in this is that in order for you to create an *automated* backup or restore optical boot disc, you have to know ahead of time which drive will be assigned which drive letter so your path statement or command line for Ghost will have the correct drive listed!

You will get a DOS error saying it can not access the optical drive if you add two or more optical drive letter(s) to the *path statement*, boot from the optical disc and DOS searches for the program on one of the optical drives that you *did not boot from*--because that non-boot drive will probably not have optical media in it for DOS to read!  The drive you did boot from will have its boot disc in it and will not generate that error!

____________________________________________________________________________________________

No question is stupid ... but, possibly the answers are Wink !

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #61 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 8:20pm

NightOwl wrote on Dec 1st, 2007 at 2:46pm:
This information is *wonderful*!  Thank you for all the testing you are doing--and reporting!

No Problem.

Is there a link to that source?

No I didn't found it on the web.

Your other partitions on your internal HDD(s) must be other than FAT!

Yes you are right. They are NTFS, how did you know?

The reason I'm interested in this is that in order for you to create an *automated* backup or restore optical boot disc, you have to know ahead of time which drive will be assigned which drive letter so your path statement or command line for Ghost will have the correct drive listed!

You will get a DOS error saying it can not access the optical drive if you add two or more optical drive letter(s) to the *path statement*, boot from the optical disc and DOS searches for the program on one of the optical drives that you *did not boot from*--because that non-boot drive will probably not have optical media in it for DOS to read!  The drive you did boot from will have its boot disc in it and will not generate that error!

I did a couple of test last night. I think it depends on which usb rom is plug into which usb port. For example my MB has four usb ports, I plug two usb roms (pioneer and hp) into the ports. It depends on which usb rom is detected first in bios.

Here is what I did and found out.
USB port A: Pioneer
USB port B: HP
Bios detected Pioneer first, the boot cd is in pioneer and it was able to boot. Then I place the boot cd in HP and restarted. Bios still detects Pioneer first but the boot cd is in HP, it wasn't able to boot. Then I switch the ports.

USB port A: HP
USB port B: Pioneer
With this connection, bios detects HP first so the PC booted when boot cd is in HP. The PC doesn't boot when the boot CD is in Pioneer. If I am not mistaken, the drive letter is always fixed even if I switch the USB ports.

I am thinking, I won't be too worried about this because I won't have plug in so many usb roms when doing a recovery. I only plug in two USB rom because I'd like to know wether the boot CD are able to detect them, but I could do more test if you need the info. Smiley

One thing, the boot CD wasn't able to detect my thumb drive. I don't know what is wrong. I search the net and found out how others are detecting their thumb drive in DOS. The config are almost the same with the USBCD, USBASPI and di1000dd. It did have an extra file emm386, do you know what this file is for?

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #62 - Dec 2nd, 2007 at 9:17pm

nemo1

Quote:
Yes you are right. They are NTFS, how did you know?

If any of your internal partitions were FAT, I would have expected them to be given DOS drive letters first--but, you said your USB external HDD was assigned C:\.

Quote:
It did have an extra file emm386, do you know what this file is for?

This is a DOS Extended Memory Manager for 386 or later machines--it provides memory management for UMB's (upper memory blocks), extended memory for RAM greater than around 1000 MB's, and it can simulate expanded memory (used to be a plug-in board with extra memory that old DOS programs were designed to use if available).

Quote:
One thing, the boot CD wasn't able to detect my thumb drive.

Is it formatted in FAT?  Is it plugged in when booting?  My system sees my USB flashdrive using the Panasonic DOS USB drivers--along with my USB HDD's--and if I have it hooked up and have a memory card in it, my USB multi-memory stick card reader as well.  So, I don't know why yours is not being mounted if present in one of the USB ports.

____________________________________________________________________________________________

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #63 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 10:53am

NightOwl wrote on Dec 2nd, 2007 at 9:17pm:
If any of your internal partitions were FAT, I would have expected them to be given DOS drive letters first--but, you said your USB external HDD was assigned C:\.

IC.

This is a DOS Extended Memory Manager for 386 or later machines--it provides memory management for UMB's (upper memory blocks), extended memory for RAM greater than around 1000 MB's, and it can simulate expanded memory (used to be a plug-in board with extra memory that old DOS programs were designed to use if available).

Is it needed to detect USB thumb drive?

Is it formatted in FAT?  Is it plugged in when booting?  My system sees my USB flashdrive using the Panasonic DOS USB drivers--along with my USB HDD's--and if I have it hooked up and have a memory card in it, my USB multi-memory stick card reader as well.  So, I don't know why yours is not being mounted if present in one of the USB ports.

I tried the booting from external dvd-rom with boot cd that was able to detect all my usb2.0 drives with the thumb drive also attached but got this:

Available ID = 1
ID 1 = HD .. ChipsBnkFlash Disk
#1 :     ???

Yes the thumb drive is format is in FAT file system.

================================================================================

NightOwl...i need your help on the automated one. I took the disk that was able to support all the USB2.0 with this autoexec.bat:

@ECHO OFF
Path=a:\;x:\;x:\ghost;x:\pqmagic
mouse.com

and replace it with this:

@ECHO OFF
SET TZ=GHO+08:00
prompt $p$g
MOUSE.COM
for %%i in (x:\*.gho) do set image=%%i
echo Loading...
\ghost\ghost.exe -clone,mode=load,src=%image%,dst=1

Hoping to make it automated with .gho files in a DVD and inside an USB2 dvd drive. Above is the only changes that I did but I am getting error message:

The following file is missing or corrupted: DI1000DD.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 3

The following file is missing or corrupted: USBCD.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 4

The following file is missing or corrupted: OAKCDROM.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 5

The following file is missing or corrupted: COMMAND.COM
Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)

For this test I only connected the HP internal cdrom and the pioneer 5.25" dvd-rom with IDE to USB2.0 converter. The HP is detected as x: and the pioneer detected as y:

I tried changing(highlighted) in this line:

to

for %%i in (y:\*.gho) do set image=%%i

but still getting the same error. Please help

Thanks

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #64 - Dec 3rd, 2007 at 11:15pm

nemo1

Quote:
Is it (emm386) needed to detect USB thumb drive?

Not on my systems--maybe on yours!

Quote:
NightOwl...i need your help on the automated one. I took the disk that was able to support all the USB2.0 with this autoexec.bat:

Okay, you have shown the changes you made to [autoexec.bat], but all your error messages are from [config.sys], and they look an awful like the ones you reported in reply #41:

Quote:
2. I did a test (boot from USB CD-Rom) with the CD that I just created. The CD has IDE support, USB (HDD & Optical), ghost and pqmagic. I get message as below:

The following file is missing or corrupted: DI1000DD.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 3

The following file is missing or corrupted: USBCD.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 4

The following file is missing or corrupted: OAKCDROM.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 5

The following file is missing or corrupted: COMMAND.COM
Type the name of the Command Interpreter (e.g., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)

What is the [config.sys] file that you are using for this boot disc, and what's the list of boot files?

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #65 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 12:16am

Quote:
Okay, you have shown the changes you made to [autoexec.bat], but all your error messages are from [config.sys], and they look an awful like the ones you reported in reply #41:

Yes...wonder why I keep getting this error message...What could have caused it Questioning

For the 2 tests, I changed the autoexec.bat content but the config and boot disk contents are the same as below.

In Config.sys
device=himem.sys
device=ramfd.sys
device=USBASPI.SYS /v /w
device=DI1000DD.SYS
device=USBCD.SYS /d:USBCD001
device=oakcdrom.sys /d:mscd001

files=10
buffers=10
dos=high,umb
stacks=9,256
lastdrive=z

Boot floppy content

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #66 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 8:33am

nemo1

Do you still have that original boot disc that worked before you altered the [autoexec.bat]?

Does it still work?

Any BIOS setting changes for USB?

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #67 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 10:10am

NightOwl,

From reply #8, the boot section is changed to 2.88M with the ghost.exe in the boot section. Do you know how to make an automated one with the ghost.exe inside the DVD? keeping the boot section 1.44M.

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #68 - Dec 4th, 2007 at 11:58pm

nemo1

Quote:
the boot section is changed to 2.88M with the ghost.exe in the boot section

Okay--that probably explains it!  *ramfd.sys* creates a virtual floppy disk drive in RAM--it probably is only compatible with 1.44 MB floppy disk size--your 2.88 MB boot sector is not compatible!

Quote:
Do you know how to make an automated one with the ghost.exe inside the DVD? keeping the boot section 1.44M.

I think you were already doing that when you created the bootable optical disk with Ghost and PartitionMagic in subdirectories in the data portion of the bootable optical disc.

As soon as you ran this command line in your [autoexec.bat] file:  mscdex.exe /d:mscd001 /d:USBCD001 /l:x /M:16 /v, drive letters should have been assigned to the optical drive--and any command lines after that command line in the [autoexec.bat] can now reference the optical drive's drive letter and access programs in the data portion of the disc!

So, simply add your Ghost command line at the end of your [autoexec.bat] and it should find Ghost and execute it for you.

Quote:
echo Loading...
\ghost\ghost.exe -clone,mode=load,src=%image%,dst=1

Now, I'm not familiar with the DOS coding here--I don't know if you can create variables for the Ghost image file using these commands--I'd like to know if you have any success--but if you use the actual drive letters assigned to the optical drive and the actual Ghost image file name, I bet that will work!

Report back with the results of your efforts!

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #69 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 10:28am

NightOwl wrote on Dec 4th, 2007 at 11:58pm:
I think you were already doing that when you created the bootable optical disk with Ghost and PartitionMagic in subdirectories in the data portion of the bootable optical disc......

I tried it out...here is what I got:

I used this autoexec:
prompt $p$g
for %%i in (X:\*.gho) do set image=%%i
echo Loading...
X:\ghost\ghost.exe -clone,mode=load,src=%image%,dst=1

Then I got error message saying drive x: not ready. During boot I saw drive letter x: was assigned to an internal cdrom. The USB2 dvd-rom was assign to drive letter y: with the boot CD in it. I figure how to get the dvd-rom to always boot first so it will be assign to drive letter x:, then I tried this:

I switch the /d:USBCD001 and /d:mscd001 like:

mscdex.exe /d:USBCD001 /d:mscd001 /l:x /M:16 /v

and it worked, the usb2 dvd-rom was detected first and assign drive letter x: . Ghost started and the rest is like previous (like reply #8).  Smiley

One question. How do we verify that the lines shown below are executed correctly or are they even executed at all.

prompt $p$g
echo Loading...

IP Logged

NightOwl
Radministrator

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat..."

Reply #70 - Dec 6th, 2007 at 11:33am

nemo1

Quote:
I figure how to get the dvd-rom to always boot first so it will be assign to drive letter x:, then I tried this

Did switching the order in *mscdex.exe* determine which optical drive got the letter x:/ first?

Quote:
One question. How do we verify that the lines shown below are executed correctly or are they even executed at all.

prompt $p$g
echo Loading...

If you type *set* at the DOS prompt, the environment variables should be displayed--the *set* command is creating the *environment* variables.

The *prompt $p$g* determines how the DOS prompt looks.

If Ghost starts and uses the correct Ghost image, then the *for %%i in (X:\*.gho) do set image=%%i* line must have worked correctly!

I'm out of town for a few days starting in about 5 minutes--so if you post another question--it will be a while before I respond!

IP Logged

nemo1
Gnarly

I Love Radified!

Reply #71 - Dec 11th, 2007 at 4:29am

NightOwl wrote on Dec 6th, 2007 at 11:33am:
Did switching the order in *mscdex.exe* determine which optical drive got the letter x:/ first?

Yes it did.

If you type *set* at the DOS prompt, the environment variables should be displayed--the *set* command is creating the *environment* variables.

The *prompt $p$g* determines how the DOS prompt looks.

I will try this out.

If Ghost starts and uses the correct Ghost image, then the *for %%i in (X:\*.gho) do set image=%%i* line must have worked correctly!

Ghost did start and use the correct image.

IP Logged

xscorpio
Ex Member

Reply #72 - Dec 21st, 2007 at 11:14pm

by reading all 5 pages, i got so lost, i know that my answer is in there somewhere but would like to get it in a simple form.... here is my problem, PLEASE folks help me out any way possible.

i have filename.gho and filename.ghs and I would like to put them as one Image (ISO) and burn it on bootable dvd. gho is 2.1 GB and ghs file is 1.3 GB. both of the files are on my laptop HDD and made by Symantec Ghost 8

All i really like to have is to make a bootable media of this image and restore my system.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, this is very critical, i really need this resolved.

Thanks a lot

IP Logged

Cupu
Ex Member

Reply #73 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 4:48am

Er.. I want to ask, I try to use the bootable CD, but it always fails when loading the CD-ROM. I'm using DVD-RW, but when I try to attach a CD-ROM, there is same problem. What's wrong?

Thanks before Smiley

IP Logged

Nairda
Ex Member

Reply #74 - May 27th, 2008 at 4:03am

I tried the bootable DVD and it works great. I didn't include ghost.exe when creating the boot image tho because my ghost 8.0 is 1.32MB, so I put it with ghost images.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print