Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Need advice on picking SCSI controller (Read 2225 times)
Hanschka
N00b

Is that thang a new fangled
Comp U tater?

Hong Kong

Need advice on picking SCSI controller
May 19th, 2005 at 3:49am

I am going to buy a new SCSI drive for my PC. Currently runing two Desktars and they are really getting annoying when I am doing photo editing. Video editing is worse, I have to get up and make a sandwich to wait for it. I already have 1GB of ram and I can add 512 more.

I am going to get the Seagate Cheetah 15K.3 36 GB.
(ST336753LW 36.7GB 15K.3 U320 15K 68 PINS)

I want to make my system a hybrid so I can store data on my deskstars but use the SCSI to crunch teh big numbers. Any advice on which controller to get? I want to maximize speed but do not have an endless budget.

The SCSI guide suggested using a LSI Logic Ultra160, but that was posted in 2000. (and that card is disconinued anyway) Can anyone recommend a card that I can use that will maximize my non LVD devices (2 HD's and CD/RW) but still get the most out of my new drive?

I am looking at LSI Logic Ultra320 SCSI Card

CMH

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Need advice on picking SCSI controller
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2005 at 3:51pm

That's a shame they discontinue the U160, cuz you don't need U320 if you only have 1 disk, cuz the thru-put of a single disk doesn't exceed 160MB/sec.

But I'd say *any* LSI U320 card would be fine. You only need single channel. Lots of people like Adaptec, and they make good stuff, except it tends to be pricey.

I've had two different Tekram cards and never had a problem with either.

The SCSI protocol is so well defined that I don't think it matters much *which* card you get.

I was touting LSI cuz they had the best price.

Make sure you get a cable and terminator with your box. Usually these are *retail* boxes that come with the extra goodies.

The BIOS should make it a snap to install and run that puppy.

IP Logged

Hanschka
N00b

Is that thang a new fangled
Comp U tater?

Hong Kong

Re: Need advice on picking SCSI controller
Reply #2 - May 19th, 2005 at 7:30pm

Sweet, thanks for teh advice.
CMH

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1