Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 and RAID...help (Read 17395 times)
woodz
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Ghost 2003 and RAID...help
Reply #15 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 5:40pm

Night Owl,

The Bios will not re-detect the drives. I have been trying though.
I am not sure what ptedit is really seeing. In the Hard Disk drop down it is showing Drive1 152695 MB. I don't know what happened to the 7305 MB. Should show 160000 MB. Well Whatever.

In ptedit slot 1 type is listed as 00=Freespace when checked under type set. The others 2,3, and 4 are also 00=Freespace.
Do you think I should try changing the Set_Type? It is the only button available in ptedit.
The problem with raid reconstructor was it did not see any drives to reconstruct. I will have to check their documentation. It seems like a very easy program to use. Instructions are shown with each step. However, step one was identifying the drives...of which I had none.
I too believe the data is still there and believe raid reconstructor could save me if I could figure out why the drives are not being seen...which brings me back to....you guessed it....The Virtual Partition.
If you wanted to forget about the data how would you go about re-installing windows on the problematic drives??? I wonder if I installed a third drive and installed windows if I would be able to read the data from in explorer in the working drive??
Heh!

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #16 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 6:27pm

woodz

Quote:
The Bios will not re-detect the drives.

That seems to be 'the' problem, but....I'm not sure where that's coming from...

Quote:
I too believe the data is still there and believe raid reconstructor could save me if I could figure out why the drives are not being seen...which brings me back to....you guessed it....The Virtual Partition.

If the 'virtual partition' was still in the picture, then 'ptedit' should show it in its table--but it's not there according to your report--only 'free space'!

Quote:
I am not sure what ptedit is really seeing.

It's just seeing 'free space'.

Quote:
Do you think I should try changing the Set_Type? It is the only button available in ptedit.

At this point--looks like it wouldn't hurt to try--should be 'active, primary, 'file system type''--it would be interesting to see if that has any effect on whether the BIOS now 'sees' the HDD's, and whether 'Raid Reconstructor' can now see the drive.  But that really doesn't rebuild the partition table.

Quote:
If you wanted to forget about the data how would you go about re-installing windows on the problematic drives

Probably running the Windows install program would reset the partitions and format them.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #17 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 7:05pm

woodz -

When I installed my Vantec PCI-to-SATA Host Adapter Card based on the Sil 3112 chipset, it modified my BIOS to reflect its existence.  So, would there be anything to lose if you "refreshed" your BIOS with the off chance of the Sil 3112 chipset on the systemboard recognizing your HDDs anew?

El Pescador

IP Logged

woodz
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #18 - Jun 4th, 2005 at 12:20am

NightOwl
El Pescador

First let me say that I can't thank you enough for your ideas.
NightOwl your input has been especially appreciated.
Without them I'm not sure what I would have tried.
If I can the return the kindness let me know...please.

Unfortunately, found a solution we have not.
Frustrated with this I am.

I tried to flashing the bios and still no recognizable drives.
Tried changing the set-type with ptedit and it tells me that my sector values have to me greater than 0. Have no idea where to start here.

BTW I booted with a windows cd to see how far I would get on
a re-install and windows does not see the drives either. So at this point a re-install is out untill I get my drives back.

Ideas guys I have not.
Crushing computer with hammer I might.
Hurt my wallet this would.
Saw Star Wars recently I did.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #19 - Jun 4th, 2005 at 2:23am

woodz

Yoda made an impression, he did  Wink !

Other ideas--you could contact 'recovery' services and find out if they think they can help you--but that's big bucks usually.

If you are ready to try and start over--your HDD maker probably has a HDD utility tool for diagnosing problems--mine had an option to wipe the HDD, including the master boot table--total clean slate--then use fdisk and re-format.

Rad's download page has a 'delpart.exe' program that is supposed to wipe everything out of the partition table:

Radified Binaries--Downloadable Files

download here:

Delpart.exe

And more information here:

Radified Guide to Deleting Hard Drive Partitions

Sorry we have not been able to revive your system  Sad .

Let us know how things turn out.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print