Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Norton/Ghost 2003 help - 2 questions (Read 15895 times)
Nick25

Norton/Ghost 2003 help - 2 questions
Jun 3rd, 2005 at 3:24pm

OK, after doing some research I came to the conclution that Norton /Ghost 2003 DOS version is what I want and I've just installed the software. Being new to this software can any guru here plase help me with the following two questions and thanks in advance for your help.

1)I created the floppy DOS BootDisk and tested it and it's working fine and since I'm going to use the DOS only version, does that mean I can now uninstall Norton/Ghost 2003 and simply use the BootDisk to create/restore image?

2)You know how unreliable diskette is, so instead of booting from diskette I want to create an iso and burn it to CD and use the DOS version on the CD, is this possible?

Thanks again for your help.

IP Logged

Dick26

Re: Norton/Ghost 2003 help - 2 questions
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 4:02pm

1. Yes, but make a few extra Ghost boot floppies first, because if the one you have goes bad, then you'll have back ups.

You might want to leave Ghost installed for a while, until you are sure everything is working okay for you first.

2. Yes. Actually Ghost will make a bootable CD for you. Write one small image to CD and it will ask if you want to make the CD bootable.

I'm not sure if you ned the Windows interface for this. Perhaps someone else can clarify. I am lazy and use the Windows interface.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 5:05pm

Nick25

2.  If all you want is a bootable CD that boots as if it were that floppy disk, if you have a burning program such as Roxio Creator Classic, you just start a new project, select bootable disc, Floppy 1.44 MB emulation, use floppy disk--the program will ask for the floppy, read it and place the necessary boot sector info on the CD.  Burn it and you have a CD that acts like that floppy.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Nick 25

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 5:25pm

Thanks Dick26 and NightOwl for your help.

Ok, I think I got the picture.

Regarding the creation of ISO CD (floppy bootdisk), I'm using Nero and there are few options:

Kind of Emulation: Floppy Emulation 1.44MB
Boot Message: Nero Boot Loader V6.0
Load segment of sectors (hex!): 07C0
Number of loaded sectors: 1

Do I need to change any of the above (all are defaults)

Thanks again for your help.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 6:05pm

Nick 25

Should work with the defaults.  Use a re-writeable first to make sure so you do not waste disks.

Report back with your results!

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Nick25

Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 10:36pm

Grin woo woo it works! (1.44MB floopy to CD ISO)

My C drive=15GB, however XP and other softwares only used up 3.8GB and hence about 12GB free.

Booting from CD, I selected "Fast" to create an image of my C drive and now the ***.GHO file which I saved to my D partition is only 1.7GB? is this about right?

Thanks again for your help NightOwl   Wink

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 10:42pm

Nick25

Congrats on your success  Wink !

Quote:
selected "Fast" to create an image of my C drive and now the ***.GHO file which I saved to my D partition is only 1.7GB? is this about right?

That sounds about right--did you do an 'Integrity Check' of the image--that's the important final step to have confidence that all is working correctly!

IP Logged

Nick25

Reply #7 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 10:53pm

Yes, using the same CD under Options, I did check and it passed  Grin

Thanks to you my Norton/Ghost 2003 Guru Wink, p/s is "No compression" better than "Fast" or should I ask which compression will cause the least problems?

Regards.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 11:15pm

Nick25

Quote:
p/s is "No compression" better than "Fast" or should I ask which compression will cause the least problems?

Personal preference for the most part--I always use 'Fast' myself--in some tests I did a while back--'Fast' compression created an image faster than 'No compression'--but, usually the more compression, the slower the creation process.

IP Logged

Nick25

Reply #9 - Jun 3rd, 2005 at 11:39pm

Thanks so much for your help NightOwl, no more questions  from me Wink

Have a great evening!

Regards.

Those who bring sunshine into the lives of others cannot keep it from themselves.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #10 - Jun 4th, 2005 at 2:04am

Nick25

Wink

And...you just brought sunshine into mine!

IP Logged

Dan Goodell
Special Guest

N California

Reply #11 - Jun 5th, 2005 at 1:44am

"in some tests I did a while back--'Fast' compression created an image faster than 'No compression'--but, usually the more compression, the slower the creation process."

It's probably similar to the pro-vs-con of 'drivespace' back in the DOS 5.x-6.x days.  (For you kids who weren't around then, drivespace was a gimmick to compress an entire partition on-the-fly so you could fit more data on a physical disk.)

Compression takes cpu processing time, but the result is a smaller file.  So, the question is/was: which takes longer, the extra cpu time or the extra disk-write time?  The tradeoff switches at some point, and it depends on how fast your processor/memory is vs. how fast your hard disk is.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print