Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Samba (Read 2850 times)
c83

Samba
Jun 4th, 2005 at 1:24pm

Just wondering.  I currently have several computers hooked up to a Linux server using Samba.  So, the scenario is this:

I have a laptop that's WinXP SP2 and am using Ghost 2003.  I image my laptop c drive and store it on the x drive (Network directory that's running on a Linux box.)

My harddrive on the laptop gets corrupted, so now I need to restore it.  If I boot up using a boot CD, and connect to the Drive where the image resides, will ghost restore that?

Perhaps a basic question, but I've got a bunch of file systems I'd like to back up.  2 laptops, and a dual boot PC... maybe even the Linux server...

IP Logged

DaddyO
Radmeister

Oh, brother.

Re: Samba
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2005 at 2:56pm

unless somebody has the same hardware scenio as you, which i doubt anyone here does, their response will be mere speculation.

the best thing would be to try it for youself. you can safely proceed up to the where you overwrite the destination

http://ghost.radified.com/screens/ghost_2002_overwrite.gif

then simply quit out.

that will answer your question far better than anyone here could speculate.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Samba
Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2005 at 4:44pm

c83

I would agree with DaddyO...just try it...but would add simply do an 'Integrity Check' of the image file.

According to Symantec, an 'Integrity Check' is the same as performing a restore, but without actually writing to the HDD.

So, if you can perform an 'Integrity Check' and get a 'everything worked fine' result--you're good to go!

Please report back the results of your efforts!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print