Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Using Bart's PE Bootable CD/DVD with Ghost 9 (Read 301944 times)
bradbortner

Re: Using Bart's PE Bootable CD/DVD with Ghost 9
Reply #45 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 11:06pm

I wonder if it has something to do with my actually having ghost 9 running on my machine. Perhaps if I try to stop it during the build process....

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #46 - Dec 7th, 2005 at 11:15pm

You don't need to stop Ghost 9 to build. I don't know what your file does, but I doubt it is needed for the build.

IP Logged

Bananasurf

Reply #47 - Dec 10th, 2005 at 8:59am

I followed these instructions with success. Thank you Brian!!

BTW, I also encountered the 'HPPAppActivity.log' problem. This log is locked by Symantec SystemWorks 2006, so it cannot be moved.

What I did was to uninstall the SystemWorks and run a Build again. After burning the Build on a CD, I booted and reinstall the Ghost image and I have SystemWorks again!

This way I got to test if the Build was successful.

IP Logged

brad bortner

Reply #48 - Dec 10th, 2005 at 9:51am

Well, I don't have systems works, but I do have nortan's firewall and antivirus. I wonder if I could just unload the applications and than run Bart's.

IP Logged

Todd

Reply #49 - Dec 30th, 2005 at 6:02pm

Thanks Brian!  I used your guide (loosely because of the new version) and it works great!

IP Logged

YK

Reply #50 - Jan 3rd, 2006 at 12:33am

I've got to say that I found this thread very interesting and illuminating.

I've been struggling with an nVidia raid driver issue now for a few days.  Initially I could not install Windows XP on an Asus A8N-VM CSM (Athlon 4200+ X2, 2GB ram, 2 x WD 320GB SATA in raid-1) as I was getting "nvraid.sys not found".  I bypassed this problem by remastering the XP install with the appropriate drivers.

I then ran into an issue where Ghost 9 would encounter the same issue (a known nVidia bad drivers issue to which I have not seen an always working solution).  However, this time each time I modified the Ghost rescue CD the program ceased working when lanching the Recover Disk option.  The use of Ghost is critical for restoring backed up partitions as this is my father-in-law's work PC (own a home based business).

Finding about the reatogo / ghost boot environment seemed like an instand winner, especially as I already use BartPE for other purposes (so it was easy to try this new build).

I now have a working build that helped me recover from a corrupted registry and I am comfortable handing the full solution over to it's final owner.

I wanted to thank you all for the information found here.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #51 - Jan 3rd, 2006 at 3:42am

I'm really pleased that people have found this thread helpful. BartPE/Ghost 9 is obviously of interest to more folks than I expected.

edit: Rad note > thread has more than 22,000 page-views.

Frodo is still working on the Ghost 10 plugin. It's proving more difficult than the Ghost 9 plugin.

IP Logged

kd6aaj

Reply #52 - Jan 23rd, 2006 at 10:39pm

I have an emachine. It came with 3 CD's, which are just a ghost backup with additional manuals in other folders. Running Windows XP Home, SP1. I just copied the 3 ghost images from the CD's to 1 folder on an extra (large) hard drive (Ghost won't read them unless they are in the same folder, and not 3 seperate cdrom's).

The I386 folder was in C:\WINDOWS\I386

You CAN extract the contents of the .pak files from a Dell CD using Win Zip.

.pak is actually a compression algorithm created by a university (I forget which one, but in USA), like .zip and .rar.

one web site said:
A .PAK file acts like a .ZIP archive, it contains many different files within the archive, and can be accessed via the game it is associated with. Files within the archive are often read only. Note: .PAK files are used with many different Quake Engine games.

and I read this:
                          PAK FILES

PAK files are produced by NoGate Consulting's PAK program.  This program
is shareware, and provides many features.  The current version is #20529
PAK251.EXE.  The extraction syntax for PAK files is:
                       "A>pak e file"

Did they buy it or steal it from the university?
Who knows.

Anyhow, try and copy the .pak files to one directory on a hard drive, then open with Win Zip.

IP Logged

homerjnick
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #53 - Jan 25th, 2006 at 12:31pm

We have just finished building a machine that needs to be replicated over 50 other PC's.

Didnt really want to install Ghost 9 so created the bootable CD with the Ghost 9 plug in, imaged the drive and then reloaded the image on the 50 other machines.

What a good post on how to do this!!!

IP Logged

Michel Schotanus

Reply #54 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 2:18pm

Truly a life-saving site, this! After experiencing problems with Ghost, I created the boot cd and my problem days are over! Symantec still hadn't responded to my requests for support after almost a month of e-mailing them.

By the way, the HPapp...files that are locked during the build can easily be resolved by creating the boot cd in Windows Safe Mode. The two files aren't locked then.

Meanwhile, the PE cd is only a temporary fix. If I change my hardware config, the cd will probably not boot. This means I need to keep creating new versions if I want to continue working with Ghost (9.0). I just wish Symantec could've written Ghost without its SATA/RAID problems.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #55 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 3:39pm

Quote:
Meanwhile, the PE cd is only a temporary fix. If I change my hardware config, the cd will probably not boot. This means I need to keep creating new versions if I want to continue working with Ghost (9.0). I just wish Symantec could've written Ghost without its SATA/RAID problems.

Michel,

Reatogo now has "Storage-Drpack_autoHelp" which contains most SATA drivers so your CD should work on most computers. You don't need to use the SCSIAdapter folder anymore.

IP Logged

Michel Schotanus

Reply #56 - Feb 1st, 2006 at 7:04pm

Brian wrote on Jan 30th, 2006 at 3:39pm:
Michel,

Reatogo now has "Storage-Drpack_autoHelp" which contains most SATA drivers so your CD should work on most computers. You don't need to use the SCSIAdapter folder anymore.

That's good news! So then my problem days are truly over thanks to this cd. Yay!  8)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #57 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 1:31pm

Don't hold your breath for a Ghost 10 plugin.

http://www.911cd.net/forums//index.php?showtopic=15962

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #58 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 2:29pm

Brian, can the Ghost 9 recovery environment properly restore recovery points created by Ghost 10?  My memory may be faulty, but I seem to recall that such was the case – provided that none of the new Ghost 10 features (e.g., encryption) were enabled when the recovery point was made.

If this is true, then shouldn’t the Ghost 9 plug-in for BartPE generally work for images created by Ghost 10?  (I am assuming that the interested reader will have created the BartPE disc with a Ghost 9 plug-in before Ghost 10 was installed, of course.)

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #59 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 2:50pm

Pleo, I'm pretty sure we found that the Ghost 9 RE wouldn't restore Ghost 10 images. Ghost 10 RE will restore Ghost 9 images.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11318...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9
Send Topic Print