Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print
Using Bart's PE Bootable CD/DVD with Ghost 9 (Read 301941 times)
John.
Übermensch

Re: Using Bart's PE Bootable CD/DVD with Ghost 9
Reply #60 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 3:58pm

Brian wrote on Feb 14th, 2006 at 2:50pm:
Pleo, I'm pretty sure we found that the Ghost 9 RE wouldn't restore Ghost 10 images. Ghost 10 RE will restore Ghost 9 images.

I don't dispute that Brian wasn't able to restore his image.  

"Error 1818 The selected image was created with a newer version of Drive Image (EA39071A)"

On the Symantec web site I found this reference to it but that was the only one at Symantec.

Brian, was it possible you were using a Drive Image (not Ghost 9) boot cd?

Anyway, I just now re-ran a test here.  I booted from my Ghost 9 Recovery Environment CD.

I browsed my external USB hard drive which contains all my Ghost 10 backups.  I verified (used Ghost 9) a Ghost 10 image backup I took only a couple days ago.

I successfully restored a folder (using Ghost 9) of the Ghost 10 backup.  Granted, I didn't restore the entire partition, but I was able to restore the folder and its files.

Ghost4me  Ghost 9, 10, 12, 14, 15.  Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #61 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 4:09pm

That's interesting John. I didn't try a Files/Folder restore or a Verify but it worked for you. I was using the Ghost 9 CD and I also tried the Reatogo/ Ghost 9 CD. Both failed.

I'm not asking you to complete an image restore but could you start the restore process for the first few windows. I received my error message fairly early in the process.
Quote:
As soon as I selected the image there was an error. "Error EA39071A : Newer version"

I'm certainly interested to hear if you don't get the error.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #62 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 4:10pm

Ghost4me, your experiment is quite interesting.  Using your BartPE disc with a Ghost 9 plug-in, can you also verify a Ghost 10 restore point?  Selectively restore files/folders?

If Brian is correct, then it is sad to see that the BartPE/Ghost connection evaporating.  One wonders whether Symantec has purposely complicated Ghost 10 so as to prevent it from being used as a stand-alone tool for both image creation and restoration in conjunction with BartPE.  In so far as the Ghost 10 recovery environment does not allow the creation of a restore point, it makes sense that Symantec would seek to disallow a work-around solution involving BartPE that circumvents its intention.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #63 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 5:35pm

Brian and Pleo, I just completed a stand-alone restore using the Ghost 9 Recovery Environment CD.

Summary:  no problems.

Here is what I did:  First I backed up (with Ghost 10) my c: partition on my primary hard drive as well as my d: partition on my other hard drive to my external USB drive.  Both are primary partitions.  Also ran Verify during the backups.  

I renamed one of my folders on my d: partition so I could confirm that I had actually restored on top afterwards.

I booted to the Ghost 9 RE CD:
System Restore Wizard
 Restore Drive
 Single Drive
 (Note, I restored my d: drive partition.  I did not delete the partition beforehand).

I got these messages while it was restoring (which took about 7 minutes) :
 Verifying image
 Copying Volume data over existing volume

After it completed, I restarted the pc back to Windows XP and verified that d: was indeed restored to the way it was before starting this test, and confirmed that my renamed folder was back to its original name/state.

I don't think this proves either way about the problem.  I don't doubt for one second Brian that you got the error message.

However, this is the only reason I can think that you had a problem Brian and I didn't:  
My Ghost 10 backup is a complete image.  It does not contain incrementals and it is not split.  I am guessing/speculating that perhaps that the Recovery Point logic or incrementals logic changed from Ghost 9 to 10.

In my case I had a pure independent Ghost 10 backup image.  That may be what makes it backward compatible with Ghost 9.

Just a guess.  This is certainly not proof enough to reassure anyone to "not worry".

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #64 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 5:42pm

John, I'm really pleased with your result and I hope it applies to most people.

I'll try it again.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #65 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 5:57pm

Ghost4me.John

Okay--now when (if) you have the time, do the *confirming* test!

Do the full drive image, and then do an incremental--say on the next day.

Now *re-challenge* the restore test to see if it will work without errors being reported!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #66 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 6:33pm

Tried it again, same error.

I only have one Ghost 10 image on my computer at present, a standalone image, not a baseline. There is a good chance it is the same one that produced the error before, as it is dated 10 Jan, the same date as my post.

From Ghost 9 RE, I can't explore, verify or restore that image. I'll have to install Ghost 10 on my other WinXP partition and create a fresh image.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #67 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 6:44pm

OK, Brian, Pleo, NightOwl -- you guys are really making me earn my money now.  Sad

Just finished another test:

Defined new Ghost 10 Recovery Point backup set with incrementals of d:

Ran first backup. (saw large file on usb)

copied folder1 from another drive to d:
Ran second baackup.  (took only a minute.  saw small incremental in backup folder)

copied folder2 from another drive to d:
Ran third backup.  (took only a minute.  saw small incremental in backup folder)

copied folder3 from another drive to d:
Ran fourth backup.  (took only a minute.  saw small incremental in backup folder)

Booted Ghost 9 RE CD as before.  This time I selected D_Drive001_i002.iv2I as the file to restore.  Note this should contain the original backup, folder1, and folder2, but NOT folder3 when I get back to XP.

Restore completed without errors.

Restarted XP.  Confirmed these files in USB backup folder.
D_Drive001.v2i
D_Drive001_i001.iv2I
D_Drive001_i002.iv2I
D_Drive001_i003.iv2I
mypc.sv2i

Confirmed that folder1 and folder2 but NOT folder 3 now exist on my d: drive.

Conclusion:  I don't know!!

In this case everything worked perfectly.  Several months ago when I asked Symantec LiveChat whether Ghost 9 RE would read Ghost 10, they said yes.  However after reading about Brian's experience, I no longer trusted that advice.

Anyone with any other theories?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #68 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 7:18pm

I agree with you, John.

I installed Ghost 10 to my other WinXP partition and made a C drive and a data drive image. From the Ghost 10 Backup image browser I could browse and verify these images and ALSO browse and verify the image from January.

From the Ghost 9 RE I still received an error message for the January image and I couldn't browse or verify it either. BUT the two new images could be browsed, verified and the restore process started normally.

John, I'm glad you did your tests. There is something odd about my January image which verifies in Ghost 10 but doesn't work at all in the Ghost 9 RE.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #69 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 8:05pm

Brian wrote on Feb 14th, 2006 at 7:18pm:
There is something odd about my January image which verifies in Ghost 10 but doesn't work at all in the Ghost 9 RE.

Brian, I don't understand why there would be a problem with your January Ghost 10 image.  One thing I learned from your good advice some time ago, and started doing, was to tick the Verify Image option when creating backup images.  Now I do that verify each time.

There is I suppose some other "trigger" that is the cause of that January incompatability.  Maybe it's the boot partition or maybe it's the option to restore the MBR (which I didn't have to do), or some other combination(s) of options.

It's too bad we don't have a mole inside of Symantec that can shed some inside knowledge and support here.  Just dreaming of course . . .

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #70 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 8:38pm

Brian wrote on Feb 14th, 2006 at 7:18pm:
I installed Ghost 10 to my other WinXP partition and made a C drive and a data drive image. From the Ghost 10 Backup image browser I could browse and verify these images and ALSO browse and verify the image from January.

Brian, at least it is very encouraging that the Ghost 10 image you created in January, is still valid and usable as far as Ghost 10 goes.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #71 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 8:54pm

Yes, to make sure I just restored that image using the Ghost 10 RE. The restored OS booted normally.

So it's just that Ghost 9, both from Windows and the RE, doesn't like that particular image. Strange.

IP Logged

John.
Übermensch

Reply #72 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 9:17pm

In all fairness you can't expect software to be backward compatible forever.  For example, we don't expect that Ghost 2003 or Drive Image 5 will be able to read Ghost 10 images.

I feel better now at least knowing if one verifies a Ghost 10 image when it is created, it is valid later using Ghost 10.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #73 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 9:21pm

But at least we know that with one exception, Ghost 9 RE does restore Ghost 10 images. Good work John.

IP Logged

Pleonasm
Übermensch

Reply #74 - Feb 15th, 2006 at 9:16am

Brian, as a consequence of the extremely helping testing performed by yourself and Ghost4me, let’s return to my post (Reply #58 ) that instigated these activities.  If, as it now appears, the Ghost 9 recovery environment can successfully restore recovery points created by Ghost 10, then ought it not to also be the case that BartPE with Ghost 9 plug-in would do the same?  And, if that is true, then the disadvantage of not having a Ghost 10 plug-in for BartPE is mitigated – correct?

There is an obvious opportunity here to test the hypothesis that a BartPE/Ghost 9 disc can successfully restore a Ghost 10 recovery point, should you and/or Ghost4me wish to pursue the investigation further.

P.S.:  It is reasonable to expect that any Ghost 10 recovery point that uses features which are specific to version 10 (e.g., encryption) would not be able to be restored through Ghost 9.

ple • o • nasm n. “The use of more words than are required to express an idea”

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
Send Topic Print