Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Error 29089 write to image file failed (Read 8469 times)
roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Error 29089 write to image file failed
Jun 23rd, 2005 at 11:25am

Just put a new mobo-cpu-ram into my box.
Epox EP-8KMM31-X Micro ATX with an Athlon XP 1500 1.33GHz 266MHz Socket A processor.  512mb DDR ram.

Using Ghost from the 2003 SystemWorks Pro CD and updated to the latest build, and
trying to image my new install of w98se on above box and
using the same hdd's I've been using and
making a new single floppy Ghost BUD with latest build

it gets 18 MB into making the image and stops, giving the following error message

Error Number: (29089)
Version: 2003.775 (Aug 14 2002, Build=775)

Looking that error message up on Symantec's site, it gives me the spiel that Ghost 2002 cannot support imaging to external USB devices.

Well... Ok... I'm not trying to image to an external USB device.

I'm trying to image to my old hdd on the secondary IDE... the same hdd I've always been imaging to with my old mobo. I did reformat the image partition before trying this.

I've tried it with both the USB enabled and disabled in the BIOS. Doesn't make any difference.

I'm stumped.

Any help will be greatly appreciated  Smiley

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Error 29089 write to image file failed
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 12:42pm

roxe

Quote:
Error Number: (29089)
Version: 2003.775 (Aug 14 2002, Build=775)

Not sure if this may have anything to do with the problem, but the most recent build for Ghost 2003 is '793' and has a file date of 'Dec. 24, 2003' for the Ghost.exe file.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 5:01pm

NightOwl,

I've been wondering the same thing... if I need to get Ghost 2003. So I have one coming by mail. Hopefully that will solve the problem. Maybe version 2002 (mine) isn't compatible with the new mobo's.

Apparently the Ghost that is on the SystemWorks 2003 CD isn't the 2003 version, but is 2002. At least that's what I'm understanding from the Symantec website.

I just reinstalled the Ghost from my sysworks CD, and updated it several times from the web... and that is the version, date and build it gives me from the error report it put on the floppy.

I see also that there is a Ghost 2004... you know anything about that one?  Does it support w98se?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 11:20pm

roxe

I'm a little confused--you said the error message said 'Version: 2003.775 (Aug 14 2002, Build=775)'--that's Ghost 2003--not Ghost 2002--and you said you installed it from Norton SystemWorks 2003 Pro CD--that would also be Ghost 2003, and not 2002!

I'm not absolutely sure, but I don't think there is a 'Ghost 2004'.  There was a Norton SystemWorks 2004 that included Ghost 2003 on the Pro CD version--but was still Ghost 2003.

Stand alone Ghost 2003 that are of recent production have the most up-to-date build on the CD, but older CD's for Ghost or Norton SystemWorks have the older builds. 

If you made boot floppies from the early install of Ghost 2003, and then later live updated your Windows install of Ghost 2003--your floppies will only get updated if you re-create them or replace the Ghost.exe file with the updated Ghost.exe file.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2005 at 10:19pm

NightOwl,

Ho Hum, where do I start?

After putting my new mobo in my box, I reinstalled w98se and all the IE updates I have. I installed Ghost from the 2003 SystemWorks CD... got connected to the internet and did the live update. Made my Ghost bootup disk and tried to clone my C drive. That is when I got the error message.

I retried using live update, and it stated that I had all the updates available. So that is the latest build I can get for that... whatever version it is.

I got my Ghost 2003 CD this afternoon...

uninstalled the other one and installed this one. Tried the live update and it said that I have the latest updates there are. So made my standard bootup disk, and tried imaging C drive again.

Made it all the way to 100mb copied this time, when it quit. Looked at the error message, and it gave me the same build number 793 and date December 17, 2003 you mentioned above. (I see you said Dec 24, 2003... hmmm)

Played around with a couple of settings, still no image. Getting the same error message.

So, since I'm trying to Ghost an image on a ATA-100 drive, and the backup drive is an ATA-66, I decided to try ghosting to a partition on the same drive as I'm imaging.

IT WORKED!!!!

Then I had an idea... so I switched the ATA-66 backup drive to my ATA-100 backup drive, and

IT WORKED!!!!!

Then I remembered that when I had done the LPT connection for the Rad Guide, I think I saw somewhere in all those how-to articles that when ghosting, you need to go from a slower drive to a faster one... from a slower system to a faster one... and not the other way around.  In other words, the receiving system must be the faster one.

So, I'm guessing that for some reason, it will go OK if the hdd's are the same speed... but not if the drive that is receiving the image is slower.

Does that make sense??  Or does it sound as crazy to you as it does to me?

On the other hand, considering all the crazy things that happen to folks here with this program, I guess it doesn't sound so crazy after all.

So, now I need to get all ATA-133 drives and then everything should be happy, eh??

I really appreciate all your help, NightOwl. One of these days when I have some time, I'll try to find that article again where I think I saw what I saw  Grin

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2005 at 11:46pm

OK...

Tried something else.

Put the ATA-66 drive back on the secondary IDE.
The ATA-100 drive is on the primary IDE.

Booted up with the Ghost floppy, and imaged a partition on the SECONDARY drive to a partition on the PRIMARY drive... slower to faster. And it worked.

Without exiting Ghost, tried to image a different partition than C on the primary drive to the secondary drive... got 222mb into the image... and it failed with the same error message. (Faster to slower.)

So... don't know if it's the speed... or the mb is more sensitive than my old one... or what.

I never had these problems with my old 5 yr old mb that I just replaced.

I guess sometimes one never knows exactly what the problem is, eh?

(or maybe its just the ditzy blonde white-haired old lady who's trying to use it  Grin)

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2005 at 1:31am

roxe

You are very resourceful to have come up with that solution!

I had compatibility issues between HDD's long time ago--back when the capacities were in the 340 MB range!  The system was unstable and you couldn't reliably transfer and/or save files.

Replaced the older drive with a newer one that matched more closely the new drive that I had just added--and all was good again.

But, I thought they had 'solved' that issue a long time ago--guess not!  It's probably a 'timing' issue.  You might see if there is an updated BIOS that could be flashed--if you are having problems--others are too and maybe the manufacturer has addressed it in an update.

New motherboards often come with an outdated BIOS by the time it reaches the retailers for sale!

IP Logged

roxe
Technoluster

25/8

USA Idaho

Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2005 at 12:12am

Yeah, NightOwl,

Isn't it written in stone somewhere that hdd's s/b the same make and speed?  Grin

Resouceful??  Me??  You're sweet Smiley

You know, it could be happening for a very different reason than either of us know about. Just because it "looks" like it needs to go from slower to faster (or same to same) doesn't necessarily mean that is the true problem or solution.

Oh well... one of these days I gotta look for what I think I saw.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print