Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SATA Drive in an Enclosure (Read 7594 times)
WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

SATA Drive in an Enclosure
Jun 23rd, 2005 at 8:42pm

I have a Dell 8400 with a 160 GB SATA HD. I have bought a SATA drive enclosure and another 160 GB SATA drive. I bought an external SATA connector so that I can connect the enclosure directly to the Mother board. I plan to Ghost an image of my C drive to the new drive. The enclosure has an on-off switch so after Ghosting I plan to shut it off. It will be a backup in case my C drive dies. I know I will probably never need it,I just wanted to do it. Do you forsee any problem?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: SATA Drive in an Enclosure
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2005 at 11:25pm

WilliamP

What version of Ghost are you using?

As with all things Ghost and backups in general--make sure your system can see the HDD in the enclosure, make a Ghost image of maybe a small partition, check the integrity of the image, and for the 'acid test', delete the data on the small test partition, and use Ghost to restore it using the same conditions that you would have in a complete failure situation.

If everything tests out okay--you can have confidence in your ability to recover using the software on your hardware setup.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2005 at 12:26am

El_Pescador wrote on May 21st, 2005 at 4:16pm:
"...The Intel USB host controller drivers typically found on motherboards can cause greater expense to rectify than employing a communications tactic using tomorrow's technology rather than that from yesterday; the SATA hardware of the future will be backwards compatible just like USB 2.0 hardware is with USB 1.1:

USB 2.0 = 480 Mbps (megaBITS per second)=60 MB/s (megaBYTES per second)

FireWire 400 = 400 Mbps (megaBITS per second)

FireWire 800 = 800 Mbps (megaBITS per second)

SATA = 1,500 Mbps (megaBITS per second)

SATA II = 3,000 Mbps (megaBITS per second)

SATA III =6,000 Mbps (megaBITS per second)

SATA has no host controller/device controller baggage
like either USB 2.0 or FireWire, i.e., a PC system categorizes both USB and FireWire devices as external whereas an external SATA device - despite its own power supply and its own cooling fan - is regarded as internal. BTW, you can readily boot from an internal SATA HDD mounted in an external enclosure kit as referred to below - try to do that without major USB issues or minor FireWire issues.  So, for those willing to 'think outside the box', go SATA...'

Although a cloning operation is quite feasible under your circumstances, I concur with employing the Norton Ghost 2003 "disk-to-image" procedure, and would follow it with an Integrity Check.

El Pescador

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2005 at 5:57am

El_Pescador, how do you get the SATA cable to the motherboard? Do you need to drill a hole in the computer case?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2005 at 11:56am

Brian wrote on Jun 24th, 2005 at 5:57am:
"... how do you get the SATA cable to the motherboard?  Do you need to drill a hole in the computer case?"

El Pescador Cheesy

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2005 at 5:42pm

Thanks. A picture is worth ........

IP Logged

WilliamP
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #6 - Jun 24th, 2005 at 6:44pm

Thanks guys. I am going to use Ghost 2003. I got my SATA external hook up from Addonics. They have a lot of stuff.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #7 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 2:15am

El_Pescador, I forgot to ask you what sort of real world transfer rate you can expect with Internal to External SATA HD, for large files, MBytes/sec. I have an IDE external HD but SATA is likely for the next upgrade.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 2:56am

Brian wrote on Jul 2nd, 2005 at 2:15am:
"... what sort of real world transfer rate you can expect with Internal to External SATA HD, for large files, MBytes/sec.  I have an IDE external HD but SATA is likely for the next upgrade..."

After fighting with my ISP for 11 days straight over intermittent outages in my broadband service, I cannot present a cogent answer as I am burnt out and bedbound.

All I can say is that I have a 160GB Seagate SATA NCQ HDD as MASTER in my Dell Dimension 8300 with 22.07GB encumbered.  Typically, a "disk-to-image" Ghost 2003 backup with Fast Compression is projected to occupy some 15,060MB.  The image will be completely transferred to an 80GB Seagate SATA NCQ HDD (mounted in a Kingwin SS-350S-BK enclosure kit) in just under 18 minutes.  You will have to do the math - I have to hit the sack.

El Pescador

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 4:39am

Our sun has just set. Sweet dreams.

Your transfer rate works out to be 14 MB/sec. This of course is not an accurate rate as it would be much faster if the image had been written to your internal HD first, then transferred and the latter time recorded.

When you have recovered I'd be interested in the answer. I can transfer 10.6 GB in 7:45 min which equals 23 MB/sec. I'd expect your figure to be much higher than this.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 3:54pm

Brian wrote on Jul 2nd, 2005 at 4:39am:
"... Your transfer rate works out to be 14 MB/sec ... it would be much faster if the image had been written to your internal HD first, then transferred and the latter time recorded..."

Simply copied the Norton Ghost 2003 "disk-to-image" file from an internal SLAVE HDD FAT32 logical drive to a NTFS logical drive on the 80GB Seagate NCQ SATA HDD mounted in a Kingwin SS-350S-BK enclosure kit - elapsed time was 00:04:48 or thereabout.

El Pescador

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2005 at 5:26pm

52 MB/sec. That's fast. It's over double my speed.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print