Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
error ec950001 "engine has not initialized&am (Read 34580 times)
mAdler
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

error ec950001 "engine has not initialized&am
Jun 25th, 2005 at 1:32am

I have been lurking for the last week and have been impressed with the knowledge of Ghost in all its good and bad aspects. I found this site because of my search for a solution to its bad aspects (and in extenstion, Symantec tech support!) I have not been able to find a thread that addresses my particular problem.

I apologize in advance for what may be a long post. I hope to give enough information that would provide a solution for myself, and for any other future users of Ghost 9.0 who may discover this site, as I did, searching for an answer.

I had been using Drive Image since Win '95/'98, and am familiar with its need to boot from floppy (or bootable CD) or reboot into a persistent recovery enviroment, so as to image or restore all drives. My most recent Drive Image was 2002. PowerQuest disappeared and I started hearing good things about Ghost, especially 9.0. Over the years I have upgraded, and then built my computers, so I am not a neophyte, though not fully versed in the underpinnings of operating systems, programs, and their relationship to the hardware.

I recently bought Ghost 9.0 to image my PC, especially my system drive. If I applied a bad patch, or installed a buggy program, I could restore to my previous clean optimal state. I was able to image my C: drive from Windows XP Pro (SP2) just fine, but have been unable to restore.

One thing I did not know before buying and installing this program, was the requirement to boot from the original CD, instead of rebooting into a persistent recovery enviroment from the installed Ghost, when wishing to restore a system drive that is not in catastrophic failure. But I would make do if that was all there was.

Windows and Symantec Ghost Live Update were fully updated, I had the current VIA chipset, and the last supported Highpoint RAID drivers on floppy. The saved system image was verified in the writing, and then confirmed in the Backup Image Browser, with individual files and folders easily accessible.

I then put in the Ghost CD, had my RAID driver floppy handy, and rebooted. I successfully loaded my drivers in F6, then launched the Symantec System Recovery Enviroment. I was able to scan disk (Disk Doctor) and anti-virus. Under Advanced Recovery, I was again able in Backup Image Browser to verify and read my saved system image, and copied and moved some files to experiment.

All four of my drives are visible, and accessible, and the images I made are readable. My C: drive is on one of the Highpoint IDE connectors, and my F: drive is on one of the Highpoint/Marvel SATA connectors, all in non-RAID array.

I tried to restore the saved image file, and immediately got the following error code "ec950001 the engine has not initialized". This happened no matter how many times I rebooted, or re-selected the image.v2i file, or snuck in by using the indexed x-123.sv2i file.

Symantec troubleshooting was vague and non-applicable.

1-Booting from a copy of the product CD can cause this error.
Try booting from the original Norton Ghost 9.0, Symantec LiveState Recovery 3.0, Drive Image, or V2i Protector CD.

I am using the original CD.

2-On some systems, changing the AGP setting in the BIOS resolves the problem.
Consult your user's guide or contact the computer's manufacturer for additional information.

Change the AGP settings from what to what?! The same AGP settings that have worked fine for the last year. I even made a matrix, to enable and disable different functions, and change the aperature size, to no effect. And motherboard and video card manufacturers are notorious for vague manuals and non-responsive tech support, with no suggestion for BIOS settings, as if it would incur liability for a system conflict or failure.

3-Loading incorrect SCSI drivers can cause this error.
When booting, press F6 to load the correct driver for the controller being used.

The same RAID drivers that are successfully loaded when booting from CD into the Recovery Enviroment, and that obviously allow access to all four drives in my non-RAID array.

4-If the computer is connected to more than one Fibre array, disconnect one of them and then boot again

I may be dim, but I'm pretty sure I don't have one of these, but just in case it was alternative terminology, I disconnected every external cable (including USB, ethernet) and just had my monitor and non-USB keyboard and mouse connected.

I engaged in a LiveChat with tech support, and after explaining my problem, and my attempts at a solution, would you believe the technician typed in the above solutions-verbatim! Even after I had just got done telling him they did not work or did not apply.

In followup chats, he fixated on my AGP settings, saying there were "known issues" involving AGP settings, but would not say what the wrong ones or the right ones were. As if my motherboard manufacturer (Abit) or my video card manufacturer (ATI) would dare to commit to a suggestion of BIOS settings. I searched anyway, but found nothing that would apply.

I even tried things that I did not think that would work, such as enabling and disabling the DEP, and editing the boot.ini, etc. I did not see how they would apply, as the Recovery Enviroment is launched fresh from the bootable CD, with no persistent memory of previous Ghost instructions, as you would for catastrophic recovery, or installation of a larger replacement boot drive.

I am at my wit's end, and have restored my last good Drive Image 2002 image. Ghost 9.0 will stay filed away in its envelope unless anyone can advise of a similar problem and a possible recovery.

Please forgive my long post, but I wished to be accurate and complete in my report. I thank you for any assistance, or your patience in reading this.

AT7-MAX2 w/VIA KT400-VT8235 (BIOS EB) and onboard HPT-374 RAID w/2 IDE and 2 SATA connectors, 38 GB HDD on each HPT IDE, 167 GB HDD on each HPT SATA, and ATI AiW 9700 Radeon AGP Pro (8x) WXP PRO SP2

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: error ec950001 "engine has not initialize
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2005 at 1:52am

mAdler

Quote:
All four of my drives are visible, and accessible, and the images I made are readable. My C: drive is on one of the Highpoint IDE connectors, and my F: drive is on one of the Highpoint/Marvel SATA connectors, all in non-RAID array.

I'm not a Ghost 9.x user, so can not say I have experience with your problem--but you might try putting the HDD with the saved image on the same controller as the HDD you want to restore to to see if it's a compatibility/timing error between the two different controllers/HDD formats.

Because you can not switch the HDD's from SATA to IDE, you may have to try copying the image to another IDE HDD first that you can connect with the C:\ HDD on the IDE controller.

Worth a try?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2005 at 1:58am

Welcome.

I found :
EC950001
This error occurs when the driver for the storage controller does not load in Symantec Recovery Disk. Reboot the computer using Symantec Recovery Disk and press F6 to load the necessary drivers.

You mentioned this in point 3 and as you say, your drives are visible.

I don't know the answer either. Why don't you try making a BartPE CD and see if you can do a restore from this environment. I'm interested.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11192...

IP Logged

mAdler
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2005 at 2:04am

It may be! Would you be believe moments after posting my lenthy request, I saw the newest posting regarding the problem with drives restoring from faster to slower. I did not find it in my searches, as I had been focusing on the error code above, and the technician's insistence on AGP BIOS settings. All my drives are WD Caviar, the 167GB are SE with 8 MB cache, and all spin 7200 rpm. I can't remember which run UDMA 100 and which run UDMA 133. And as I had upgraded my motherboard after buying these drives, they are all IDE, and I am running the 167 GB's off an Abit Seriellel (sic?) SATA/IDE converter. Though the SATA spec was ATA 150, the support stated that drives on IDE converters would drop to UDMA 133. And all drives successfully wrote to each other when booting Drive Image 2002.
The big sticking point I have at all, is the visibility, writability, and verifiability in the Recovery Enviroment of that saved image. Would that not be affected by the same engine?

It has been a long and frustrating day. I will take another's advice and not attempt major Ghost surgery without any sleep, unless I want a real catastrophic failure. First thing in the morning (today!)
Thanks

AT7-MAX2 w/VIA KT400-VT8235 (BIOS EB) and onboard HPT-374 RAID w/2 IDE and 2 SATA connectors, 38 GB HDD on each HPT IDE, 167 GB HDD on each HPT SATA, and ATI AiW 9700 Radeon AGP Pro (8x) WXP PRO SP2

IP Logged

mAdler
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2005 at 2:24am

Bart PE, I have heard of this, though did not see the need since my systems over the last several years were non-networked, IDE only on an onboard IDE controller set of connectors. As I have upgraded, however, my connections have grown in variety and complexity, but I had thought that in staying with onboard RAID and SATA connections, and in non-RAID array, that I was avoiding some of the problems. Dare I say that I might not be the only one with this or a similar configuration, and that Symantec should have addressed this in the program, the instructions for setup, the caveats for purchase, or even with tech support and their scripted decision-tree responses?
I have read some of the link's instructions, and will be most interested to attempt this, after I get some sleep!
Thank you for responses, I have hope again!!
Good night/morning!

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2005 at 4:23am

You have NightOwl & Brian helping you. Lucky man.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2005 at 5:41am

Another thought. Have you tried booting into the Ghost RE without pressing F6 and not loading drivers? Then see if your drives are visible and see if you can restore.

Certain storage drivers are on the CD.

IP Logged

mAdler
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2005 at 1:18pm

I am awake and disgruntled!

Hoping that the error was in the conflict of my onboard IDE/SATA RAID controllers or the faster/slower drive possibility, I tried again this morning.

I first tried to restore the Ghost image as before, just in case I was brain dead or my PC was being temperamental. No luck.

I had originally tried to launch the CD without the F6 drivers and tried again this morning, just in case, but no luck. All that was visible was the floppy, both of my optical drives and the RAM drive of the Ghost program.

That is what really irritates me about this program. DI2002 would launch from CD or launch from Windows and reboot into a persistent recovery enviorment, without any need for me to manually load F6 drivers. Ghost 9.0 seems a step back in that regard, to restore a system drive by using the CD and manually loading F6 drivers, and not launching from Windows and rebooting into a persistent recovery enviroment.

Anyway, I documented that I have 2 40 GB drives on the SATA/RAID controller. Both are IDE UDMA 133 with 2 MB cache and 7200 rpm on the Highpoint SATA/RAID ATA150 connector using an ATA150/IDE Serillel adapter. My 2 180 GB drives on the Highpoint IDE/RAID UDMA 133 controller are IDE UDMA 100 with 8 MB cache and 7200 rpm.
All are configured master/single and are each alone on their respective connector. Highpoint BIOS shows all as ATA/100.

I went ahead and created Ghost images, on both the sister SATA/RAID drive, and on the IDE/RAID drive on the other controller. I browsed and verified these images both in the Windows Ghost Backup Browser and in the CD recovery enviroment's Backup Browser.
I then attempted my recovery.
Each time I entered Advanced Recovery, and chose to restore a single drive. I then browsed to the desired image. The moment I selected that image, I received the error "ec950001 the engine has not initialized. It did not matter if the image was on the drive on the same controller or the different controller. I even tried the .pqi image, as the program is supposed to be compatible with earlier versions of Drive Image and Ghost saved images, but no luck.

Trying the idea of the drives themselves being on the wrong controllers, I moved the boot C: system drive and its sister from the SATA/RAID to the IDE/RAID, and conversely the larger drives from the IDE/RAID to the SATA/RAID.
Windows launched cleanly, and all drives were visible. All images were also visible and verifiable in Windows and in the CD Recovery Enviroment. Using the same procedure, I tried to restore the image from the drive on the same controller, the drive on the different controller and even the .pqi image. Still no luck.

I am mystified and frustrated. The possitive attribute to hot-image on the fly is totally negated by the inability to restore a system drive.

I come back again to those words " the engine has not initialized". I don't even get to enter the recovery settings to choose active drives or MBR, or to fail in the writing of the restored image to disk. It stops me dead at the selection of the image. What engine, what is in conflict with it? What actions or settings can I take or make that can enhance or hinder its operation. Could that Symantec technician be right when he insists on the AGP BIOS settings? If so, what are the conflicts, and what are the correct settings. I had already done a variety of changes to the BIOS for AGP with no effect on this program. This engine has me stumped.

I hope that someone recognizes an element that I have missed, and can provide a possible solution. I will relunctantly put away this program until such time as it can be made to work, or be replaced with a program that does not encounter conflicts with my hardware.

Any thoughts would be welcome, and I thank you for your time.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2005 at 3:05pm

mAdler

I could not tell for sure from your post, but did you try the image restore without the IDE HDD's connected to the SATA controller via the IDE-to-SATA converter connector?

I would try with HDD's connected to the IDE controller only, and physically disconnecting the HDD's from the SATA controller, and maybe even temporarily disable the SATA controller in the BIOS to see if that's were the conflict is coming from.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

mAdler
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2005 at 3:38pm

Yes, that was the second variation of the second set of image restoration attempts from IDE/RAID to IDE/RAID. The SATA/IDE converter is for the drives connected to the SATA/RAID connectors.

(First set:
Image from IDE/RAID to SATA/RAID
Image from SATA/RAID to SATA/RAID
PQI from IDE/RAID to SATA/RAID
Second set:
Image from SATA/RAID to IDE/RAID
Image from IDE/RAID to IDE/RAID
PQI from SATA/RAID to IDE/RAID)

However I did not physically unattach the SATA/RAID drives when attempting restoration from IDE/RAID to IDE/RAID. (And if that would be a requirement to make this program work, I would rather go back to Drive Image 2002. Each time the case is opened, the risk of physical damage is heightened (pins, cables, etc.)  I have to go to work shortly, and will have to attempt that variation tomorrow (or late tonight!)

Unfortunately the BIOS only controls the existence of the onboard RAID controllers, it does not affect them. It is either enabled or disabled. And when disabled, the motherboard has access only to VIA IDE connectors (my optical drives).
The enablement in BIOS then boots the Highpoint RAID BIOS which recognizes the drives, and if they were in RAID array, would confirm their arrangement.
The Highpoint BIOS controls two sets of connectors, the two Highpoint IDE UDMA 133 connectors set and the two Highpoint/Marvel SATA ATA 150 connectors. All 4 can be configured together into a mirror and/or striping RAID array, with a total of 6 physical drives (though the BIOS shows 4 channels with master and slave for each, the SATA channels can only be single/master).
I have only four, each attached to one connector and running as master/single, in standard IDE function.

I will try that variation with unattaching SATA/RAID cables/drive when restoring from IDE/RAID to IDE/RAID.

I just don't see how the program can see the drives and the images in browser, then stop dead when attempting to restore same image. The engine, the engine!! She canna' take anymore, Capt'n!!

Gone to work,
Thank you.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2005 at 6:24pm

Disappointment so far.

I still think that BartPE is worth a try. BartPE is not about networking and is totally different from the Bart boot discs of old.

In BartPE, Ghost 9 runs as the Windows GUI and you can create images which you can't do from the Ghost RE. So it is different from the standard RE. You are the only person who can answer whether the Restore function is different.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #11 - Jun 26th, 2005 at 2:37am

mAdler

Oh!  You have a third controller!

Well, that gives you another option to test--connect the HDD's to the IDE controller that your optical drives are on, and disconnect any HDD's on the other two controllers--again, possibly disable the HighPoint RAID and SATA controllers temporarily in the BIOS--to see if you can succeed with a restore.

Well, I agree with you that it will not be convenient to be switching cables and disabling controllers on a routine basis--my suggestion was more of a trouble shooting effort to isolate the problem so you can possibly address it with Symantec, or motherboard maker, or ....

Once you know where the incompatibility is, you can then pass it on to Symantec and see if they are able/willing to address the issue.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #12 - Jun 26th, 2005 at 6:58am

IP Logged

mAdler
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #13 - Jun 27th, 2005 at 10:41am

Sorry for the one day delay. I had family and work obligations and could not devote the time to this investigation.

I hope that what I report may suggest a solution, because its current ramifications are unacceptable.

I did go back and attempt the restore from the IDE/RAID drive to IDE/RAID drive with no SATA/RAID drives connected.
The boot time was slow (Highpoint BIOS looking for drives no longer there) and the same ec950001 error occurs.

I had also read a posting that was mentioning page files.
I had not mentioned that I had moved my page file to the sister drive to its own partition. This sounded so right. So, I had gone back and created several Ghost images
1-C: system only (D: page file not copied)
2-C: system and D: page file (multi-partition image)
and then restored the page file to the system drive
3-C: system w/page file

I attempted each restore and still immediately got the same error upon selection of image.

The last suggestion was to attempt the restore off the onboard native VIA IDE connectors. I had my optical drives on single connector cables, each to a connector in single/master mode. I had to go out and buy a multiple drive IDE connector to try the last attempt. I then connected the system and backup drives as master and slave on the primary IDE connector and one of my optical drives on the secondary as single/master.

I still had the slow boot time due to the Highpoint RAID BIOS searching for drives that were no longer connected, and could not boot into Windows XP, but just hung in the black Win XP logo screen, no moving blue bars. I did not really expect to, though, as my operating system had not been adjusted for the change in hardware configuration, though it was accessible in safe mode.

To my great suprise and chagrin, when I booted the Symantec CD Recovery Enviroment, and attempted to restore the images, each of variety of my images was loaded.
No more ec950001!!

I did not go through with the restore process, as I did not know what restoring a system drive based on one hardware configuration would do when placed into a different configuration, even if it is the same physical drive.

This clue is not one I wanted.
If this program cannot work on my onboard Highpoint SATA/IDE RAID controllers, but only on my VIA IDE controller, I have gone back in time and function. The old days of running a master and slave drive on one connector with the optical on the other. The idea is to go to faster connectors with no conflicts, and I have taken a step backwards. And to have two optical drives on their own IDE controllers, which cannot be run on the RAID controllers (IDE or SATA converter, not withstanding).

I just had a thought. I will try my operating system drive on the onboard VIA IDE controller and attempt the restore from an image saved on the drive connected to the RAID controller.

Could it be the source of the image file?? Would CD-R or DVD-/+R work? But then you get into the whole swapping out disks for large images, and saving to a separate hard drive is faster and cleaner. 

In the hopes that the conflict could be in a flaw in the Symantec CD Recovery Enviroment program, for dealing with RAID controllers, I am also following the Bart PE with Ghost slipstreamed (sic?) instructions to create a recovery disk.

I just can't get over the fact that throughout all these attempts, that each image on each drive on each and every controller, was visible, verifiable and browseable and restoreable with individual files and folders, with my existing F6 RAID driver. And that only in the attempt to choose the image in the restoration program while on the RAID controller was the program halted by error.

Re: trying the system drive on VIA IDE with an image from SATA/RAID
then trying system drive on SATA/RAID with an image from VIA IDE
(I will take the IDE/RAID choices as understood to be the same as the SATA/RAID attempts)
and will report back shortly.

Thank you

IP Logged

mAdler
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #14 - Jun 27th, 2005 at 1:19pm

Okay, I have done the last set of variations.
I have placed the system drive on the onboard VIA IDE controller, and placed one back up drive as a slave on the VIA IDE and the other backup drive on the Highpoint SATA/IDE/RAID.
Images from both the VIA IDE and the Highpoint IDE were rejected ec95001.
I then placed the system drive on the onboard Highpoint SATA/IDE/RAID controller, and had one backup drive on the VIA IDE, and the other backup drive on the Highpoint IDE.
Images from both the VIA IDE and the Highpoint IDE were rejected ec950001.

So apparently, the only way I can use this program is if I have no SATA or IDE RAID drives connected, even if both the system and restoration image drives are on the VIA IDE controller, and have system and restore drives on the VIA IDE controller only, just like the old days!!

What is in the conflict in the Highpoint RAID controller? How can a driver that allows access in Backup Image Browser, fail in the System Recovery?

I will attempt to create a Bart PE disk with Ghost installed, but that will take some time. I will have to restore my system to my original desired hardware configuration and operating system set up.

Conclusions:

Faster to slower or slower to faster drives and/or connectors had no effect on the RAID drives.

Page file separate or included in the image had no effect on the RAID drives.

Restoring from RAID or IDE to RAID had no effect.

Restoring from RAID to IDE had no effect

Restoring from IDE to IDE when RAID was connected/drivers loaded had no effect.

Restoring from IDE to IDE with no RAID connected/drivers loaded was the only time I was able to get past the point of error ec950001 to the rest of the restoration program (but did not go further).

I am using the last Highpoint-Tech HPT 374 drivers that were available on the site 2 months ago v3.04.

Last thought, I will download from Abit the Highpoint HPT 374 drivers provided by them for my motherboard v1.23.

After that, I will try to create the BartPE disk with Ghost to see if that works.

Back soon after the RAID drivers v1.23 attempt.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print