Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Postcards from my "vacation" (Read 26710 times)
Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Postcards from my "vacation"
Jun 27th, 2005 at 7:34pm

Hello all!

I'm back after my two weeks of "vacation" which actually was more like working double shifts. I was working as Flight Safety Officer for the competition organization but couldn't abandon my friend completely and was crewing for him as well. After all, we are sharing the glider.

In the picture below, it's me at the glider and my friend who is approaching, looking worried or concentrated. It's difficult to determine in which state of mind he is. He has a lot of experience hiding it. He flew his first international competition in 1968 and has been the World Champion twice.

Next, the largest glider there is, the Eta. It is difficult to take a picture of it, due to its size. The wing span is approximately 31 meters and without getting into details, its performance is very good. The chosen name, the greek letter Eta, reflects that. As a comparision our glider is 15 meters which can be regarded as the "most common size".

Finally the other end of the spectrum, the Schulgleiter 38 or for short, the SG 38. A german pre-war design (no prize for guessing the year) and it was used in all Europe for training. It was very popular during the evenings and non-competition days, especially by the Italians who were getting "training the original way". This is the only time when my overweight has been an advantage ......  Grin ...... I'm to heavy to risk my limbs flying the damned thing, being towed aloft by a car!

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Postcards from my "vacation"
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 3:30am

Welcome back. Thanks for sharing. The photos came out good. Being towed by a car .. never head of that. =)

Nobody got hurt?

Do you wear a parachute?

How do you win? Distance? Time in flight?

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 9:32am

Quote:
Nobody got hurt?

Well, not physically but I guess that a few prides were badly mangled.

Quote:
Do you wear a parachute?

Yes, for two reasons: The seat is designed to accomodate a parachute so, it's either that or a cushion. Under normal flying conditions, I wouldn't mind flying without a parachute but competitions involve a lot of flying with many gliders in gaggles. Collisions are infrequent but not unheard of.

Quote:
How do you win? Distance? Time in flight?

All tasks are closed courses and the competitor is supposed to time his flight with the weather development and get back as quickly as possible. In other words, it's a speed competition until the weather deteriorates and the competitiors don't get back. Then it becomes a distance competition. The start gate opens 20 minutes after the last glider has left the ground and after the start gate has opened, each competitor makes a start at his/her own discretion and the flight is timed from each individual starting time. This is where experience and tactics plays a part. All flights are verified by a GNSS (GPS) logger.

The are two types of task, Racing Task and Speed Task Assigned Area.

A task is defined by a start point, a number of turn points and a finish point. Everyone has the same finish point (at the airfield) but to separate the gliders, the different classes are given different start points. The start line is 6 km long, 3 km on either side of the start point. The finish line is 1 km long, 500 m on either side of the finish point.

The turn points on a Racing Task are all circles with a 500 m radius. Go to http://www.wgc2006.se/ and find "Tasks and Results" > 16/6 > Class 15m > Task to view a Racing Task of 434.7 km. The blue lines are the "legs" and the small circles the turn points.

The turn points on a Speed Task Assigned Area are bigger, not points but areas. The radius for each area is decided by the task setter and there is a minimum and a maximum possible distance with a minimum flying time. Go to http://www.wgc2006.se/ and find "Tasks and Results" > 16/6 > Class 18m > Task to view the Speed Task Assigned Area set the same day for that class. Distance 355.2 km - 549.6 km and a minimum time of 3.00 hrs. The red circles around the turn points are the areas and where to turn is decided by the competitors based on weather conditions. Each competitior will get a different distance but it is the average speed that decides the winner.

The Speed Task Assigned Area is quite difficult to understand, compared to the Racing Task. Some pilots love it, others hate it and the spectators don't understand a thing. A competitor flying the minimum distance at 100.0 km/hr average speed will win over a competitor flying the maximum distance at 99.9 km/hr average speed. You should increase the distance as long as You expect the average speed to increase but not longer.

Go to http://www.wgc2006.se/ and find "Tasks and Results" > 16/6 > Class 18m > Results to view the outcome of that day. The pilot flying the shortest distance won and the pilot flying the longest distance finished as #8. The two at the bottom of the list have no speed, only distance which means that they didn't complete the task.

Go to http://www.wgc2006.se/ and find "Tasks and Results" > 16/6 > Class 15m > Results to compare the Racing Task that day. All who completed the task have the same distance and that is easier to understand.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 10:09am

Browsing My Pictures, I couldn't resist posting this picture of the mighty Eta, self launching at the World Gliding Championships 2003 in Leszno, Poland.

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #4 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 1:17am

What is "self-launching" I mean, I can guess. But *how* does a glider launch itself?

Look at those wings bend.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 1:41am

Christer

What a wonderful sport, hobby, occupation?......When I was a teenager, I read a 'coming of age' novel about a young man learning to fly gliders--I alway thought that would be a great experience.

Thanks for the pictures--those are great!

Rad

I'm betting you tie a long anchor rope to the front so it can't be blown backwards, get a good headwind (with that wingspan--probably doesn't have to be too much of a headwind!), and untie the anchor ropes holding the wings down (kinda like launching a kite I'm thinking).  Once airborne, release that front anchor rope...and soar.............

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 1:57am

Is that a propellor on top?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 2:34am

As far as aviation goes, my fascination with Microsoft's 'Combat Flight Simulator 2 - WWII Pacific Theater' led me to go flying with the young lady pictured below.  She is a 'gypsy barnstormer' operating with two North American AT-6 Texans and one Boeing Stearman biplane.

After flying with her the first time, one thing led to another and I wound up joining the Experimental Aviation Association with greatest emphasis on Warbirds.  I am currently affiliated with four aviation museums in Central Florida where I have children and grandchildren to stay with for extended visits.

El Pescador

P.S.  Jesse James of 'Monster Garage' fame refurbished the aircraft's cowling gratis (no mechanical work), and Gina only had to pay shipping charges - this saved her about $10K.  BTW, she and her mother own and operate the enterprise, with Gina traveling and Mom managing their home base in Gallatin, Tennessee.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 6:29am

Quote:
What is "self-launching" I mean, I can guess. But *how* does a glider launch itself?

The Eta has a retractable engine/propeller installation in the aft fuselage, a water cooled 64 PS two-stroke. Others have a Wankel of similar power which stays in the fuselage and only the propeller is extracted on its pylon. These big gliders are all built with engines but not the smaller ones. Aero-tow by a powered aircraft or winch-launch is more common.

Quote:
Look at those wings bend.

Yup, either that or they break ...... Wink ...... ! The wing span is ~31 m, the wing area is 18.6 m, the mean wing chord (from leading to trailing edge) is ~0.6 m. Below another picture that may emphasize the proportions.

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures--those are great!

You're welcome ...... Smiley ...... and thanks all for Your interest!

Quote:
I'm betting you tie a long anchor rope to the front so it can't be blown backwards, ...

I understand that You were playing with kites when You were young(er) ...... Undecided ...... ! A winch-launch is the closest You'll get to Your "idea". A steel cable of 1000-1500 m length and a winch with a large V8 of 300 PS or more.

El Pescador,
I've thought about You avtar but never asked! I've got a picture of a T6 and a lady but I don't dare post it ...... Cheesy ...... !!

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 9:10pm

Christer

Well, I see my 'guess' was completely wrong about self launching!  Guess I best stick to 'go fly a kite'  Grin

Brian

By the way, good call on seeing that propellor!  Guess I need glasses!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2005 at 9:56pm

I cheated NightOwl. I noticed the prop in Christer's number 2 image.

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #11 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 6:33am

NightOwl and all,

Quote:
Guess I best stick to 'go fly a kite'

Well, I would recommend to get OUT in the fresh air, find the local gliding club, ask to be taken UP in the fresh air ...... Shocked ...... and I promise that You will not regret it!

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #12 - Jun 30th, 2005 at 6:44am

Rad,
explaining gliding competitions in more detail but still keeping it simple is difficult. I myself understand what I wrote in my answer to Your question but now the question is if You and others did?

...... ??? ...... Did You ...... ??? ......

Christer

Old chinese proverb:

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print