Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What is the symantec recovery disk file 3 kb (Read 4669 times)
chuckychez
Ex Member

What is the symantec recovery disk file 3 kb
Jun 28th, 2005 at 5:27pm

Hi fellows
I just put a ghost 9x image file of my C:\ drive on my F:\ partition it reads [ C_drive symantec image file 4.45 gb]
I also see Charles ( my name ) - F followed by a combination of six letters and numbers and the icon for the image  is tittled
"symantec recovery disk file"
3 kb
I don't know what that is and what is the purpose of it ..

I also backed up my E partition where I have a lot of
mysoftware and had it go to my seagate 160 gig usb hdd
I love this 9x ghost its worth twice a much as the price
Its so easy to use and so fast , -- its great !......I am glad I did not get Acronis or Retrospect pro and a big  plus is this fabulous "ghost and partition magic" forum
with carring and knowlegable
people who are my guardian angels if I need help . Cheesy
I salute you all !

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Re: What is the symantec recovery disk file 3 kb
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 8:46pm

Chucky, it's called a System Index File. It can be used in the Recovery Environment if you want to restore multiple drives at the same time rather than one at a time. Also, it can be completely ignored and you can still restore multiple drives.

It stores information on the whereabouts of the most recent images and it even knows about images of another drive stored in a different folder. It's updated whenever you create a new image.

From your last post I couldn't determine whether you have copied your recent C: drive image to the External HD. I know you wrote the image to the F: drive on your internal HD.

IP Logged

chuckychez
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 10:43pm

Hi Brian good to hear from you

Quote:
From your last post I couldn't determine whether you have copied your recent C: drive image to the External HD. I know you wrote the image to the F: drive on your internal HD.
This evening I made three backups
I copied my C :\ drive contents to my Seagate usb external hd and then I did the same with my E:\ programs partition where I have jigsaw puzzle software , chessmaster tenth edition and Encarta also to the seagate usb hd and then I copied my C :\ drive again and this time I located it to my F :\ partition  . As far as the Data D:\ partition  where I have my personally created data including internet favorites I copy and paste that seperately to the seagate external hdd and I also use" easy backup"  for a more complete backup for the  my documents folder on D partition where I changed the path to My docs where I have  my photos and my music plus word docs plus outlook express and internet explorer and system files  to make a complete backup in compressed zip format with the AJ easy backup software and I also use a 100 mb usb 2.0 zip drive and a lexar 256mb flash stick for my favorites so my D:\ partition is well  covered without using ghost for backing it up and its done more often then backing up the C drive with ghost .....I also have backups of music and photos and word docs on cdr and cdrw's and on dvd-r multi sessioning and one burn and finalize for the photos and music
I use mitsui cdr and verbatim data like cdrw and ricoh dvd+r and dvdrw
I am following your advice and holding off on copying my C:\ drive to dvd+r or dvd rw , I am not particulary kean on doing it , but I may get around to it later if I don't have nothing else to do ...

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2005 at 11:04pm

Sounds good Chucky. You are doing it correctly.

I've just restored my C: drive and Program drive because I couldn't work out why my DivX movies were playing incorrectly. They were OK 2 days ago so I restored to incremental images written that day. I used the Restore Multiple Drives option (not the sV2i). Restore time including verify and file check for both drives was 4 1/2 minutes.

The movies play fine now. I like Ghost 9 too.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print