Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Using Ghost 9 over a network (Read 141755 times)
Simon P.C.

Re: Using Ghost 9 over a network
Reply #15 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 1:32am

I've been trying all night to map a network drive from the recovery CD but it just won't work, i can ping any computer on my network, 2 computers wired to di-524.
What could be the problem??

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #16 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 2:57am

Hi Simon,

Where does it strike a problem? Try using the other computer NIC IP address.

"Boot to the RE
Click Yes for Networking
Click and adjust Time Zone
Click Advanced Recovery Tasks
Click Utilities
Click Map Network Drive (this maps a drive on the other computer)
Don’t click Browse
In the Folder field, add your network share as \\computername\share  (The other computer)
Instead of the computername you can type the NIC IP address of the other computer (if it has a static IP address) eg \\192.168.1.6\share 
Enter Username and password when requested "

IP Logged

Rob Poretti

Reply #17 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 1:55am

I have the same problem as some of the other users - I type in my user name/password and it keeps asking me for that information.  I do not use a domain controller, so I've type in the workgroup name for domain.

I few people on the net seem to have this problem - but I have not seen a concrete explanation why - or any solutions.  Has anyone here resolved this problem with some specific methodolgy?

Appreciate the feedback...

Rob

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 2:50am

Rob,

I'm lucky as it works on my computers. Do you have the same username and password on each computer? Otherwise no bright ideas.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #19 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 6:41am

Rob,

Could you try this on both computers.

Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Local Security Policy, then under Security Settings, Local Policies, Security Options.
In the right pane under Policy
“Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts”
Is the Security Setting “Classic: Local users authenticate as themselves”?

Also under Security Settings, Local Policies, User Rights Assignment
In the right pane under Policy
“Access this computer from the network”
Does the Security Setting include “Administrators”? 

Are you using an Administrator account on each computer when running Ghost 9 for networking? WinXP Pro or Home?

IP Logged

Rob Poretti

Reply #20 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 11:04am

Hi Brian,

Thanks very much for such a fast response!  Smiley  Answers to your last post:

Answer to Q1:  Yes on remote computer.  No on local "Ghost" computer.  I rectified this and restarted.

Answer to Q2:  Everyone, ASPNET, Administrators, Users, Power Users, Backup Operators

Answer to Q3:  I am an administrator on all computers, but I am not using the built in "administrator" account.

Answer to Q4:  XP Prefessional sp2

After restarting, I went back to Ghost and logged in again - once again using my Workgroup name (@HOME) as Domain name.  This time, I did not get the same login screen re-appear! 

This time I got an error message saying "Could not connect to \\@HOME\Username:password\Ghost Images"  (something like that - I've left the Username:password information out.

So, looking at that, I thought the Domain name was a UNC path.  I decided to put the IP address of the remote machine - and PRESTO - it worked!!!  Grin

Brian, I can't tell you how much you helped me - not because I was desperate to make a Ghost Image - but because I've been Googling for days trying to get information on how to solve this. So, my morning orange juice is raised in the air.... cheers!

.... from Cakville, Canada.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #21 - Sep 27th, 2005 at 7:11pm

Well Rob, I'm delighted too. But we've just started because I can't reproduce your steps.

In the Domain field I typed   \\192.168.1.3   (IP address of other computer) and received an error message. It works if I type my Workgroup in that field. Could you let us know if your steps are reproducible and any refinements you find.

Do you have Simple File Sharing disabled on both computers? Are they joined by a router?

I hope you can sort this out for those still having trouble.

PS I tried   192.168.1.3  ( instead of \\192.168.1.3)  in the Domain field and it worked. Your technique looks good.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #22 - Sep 28th, 2005 at 7:16am

Rob,

This will make you laugh or cry. I can use anything in the domain field and it works. 123.456.789.123, cat, dog etc. A blank field doesn't work and @HOME doesn't work. In fact I received your same error message except it lacked the @.   "Could not connect to \\HOME\Username:password......

HOME works, so it doesn't like @.

Just an observation. I have no idea what it means as it didn't work for Bob Pasky.

IP Logged

Elec_Tech

Reply #23 - Sep 29th, 2005 at 8:45pm

Quote:
It seems that in most cases of "Ghost over a network", the Ghost image is of a local drive and the image is stored in a remote location.  Is it possible to use Ghost 9 the other way around?  That is, make an image of a  drive on a remote machine and store it locally (i.e. on the machine running Ghost)?

This is what Ghost 2003 does !

IP Logged

nickeybhoy

Using Ghost 9 over a network
Reply #24 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 8:47am

Hi, I have a question regarding Ghost 9 network recovery.

In my workplace, I controll a small workgrouped network, which contains 1 desktop PC acting as the 'image server', one router acting also as a DHCP server, and a number (up to about 10) of notebook PC's which access the network.
I have been successfully using Ghost 9 for a number of months now to recover windows drives on the notebook PC's. I store the windows image on a shared folder on the Image server. When I recover windows drives on the notebooks, I boot to the ghost 9 boot cd, start network services, map the network drive (map the shared folder where the image resides on the image server) and simply recover the drive
The whole process takes about 15 minutes.

My question is this: The notebooks have a 'PXE network boot' function. Is it possible to make an image of the ghost 9 boot cd, and place this on the image server machine, and use the pxe function to boot using that image, rather than boot from the CD?

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #25 - Oct 23rd, 2005 at 12:13pm

Nickeybhoy, isn't your need a better fit for the LiveState Recovery suite of applications rather than Ghost 9.0?

Reference:  http://www.symantec.com/smallbiz/lsrd/

IP Logged

innie808
N00b

AS Ya do!

Adelaide Australia

Reply #26 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 9:40am

Hello, This is my first post on this forum.

I also had the issue of Imaging a Partition across my home network.
I have to pc's connected Via a netgear router. I could not find any resolution through google searches about this issue. The most informative find was this thread.

Anyway, I got it working doing the following steps:

1. On the Target Machine, make sure in the Properties of the shared folder the option "Allow network users to change my files" is ticked.
2. When the Dialog box pops up, DOMAIN = TARGET COMPUTER NAME, USER=SHARED FOLDER NAME.

Thats right, I put the Shared folder name in user and it connected, no password needed. I hope someone else can confirm this works.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Oct 30th, 2005 at 5:31pm

innie808,

It didn't work for me.

I can put anything in the Domain field so long as it doesn't include @,#, etc.
Username and password are needed for it to work on my computers.

IP Logged

innie808
N00b

AS Ya do!

Adelaide Australia

Reply #28 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 8:58am

Hello Brian,

It does some very strange things, i must say. I did set up the same user and password on both my computers so this may have helped also.  I don't know why but my share is called "Backups", and when i put this in the USER field it worked. Who knows?
I just ran another image using these steps and it worked.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #29 - Oct 31st, 2005 at 5:25pm

innie808,

You helped me last night. I was assisting a friend create an image over his network but we couldn't get past the Domain, Username, Password window. I tried your suggestion too but it wouldn't take. When I looked at the Properties for his Shared Folder I noticed "Allow network users to change my files" was unticked. He had WinXP Home and I have Pro. Pro doesn't have that setting.

After ticking the box there were no further problems.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print