Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Restoration Failures (Read 7083 times)
ckr

Restoration Failures
Jul 19th, 2005 at 8:19am

I needed to test Ghost 2003 to make sure it could restore a computer.

So, after installing G2003, I created an image and stored it on the D drive.  Added some MS programs, and created another image, putting that in a different directory on the D drive.  I then restored the first image, telling Ghost to overwrite the OS (WinXP/SP2).

While it appears to have worked, the first line in the log reports that the restoration process failed!  I had the same thing happen when I restored the second backup image that I made.

It SEEMS like everything was restored, but still, ever time the log contains a line that says the restoration failed.

Any ideas??

Thanks!

IP Logged

ckr

Re: Restoration Failures
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 9:35am

Also, when I checked out the logs, the first line in the log is RestoreOperation 0

And... when I do a backup, it seems to finish with the progress bar at around 50% -- which is odd, even though the backup log states that the backup operation was a success.

Any ideas?  There don't seem to be any error codes anywhere...

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 9:53am

Quote:
"... I needed to test Ghost 2003 to make sure it could restore a computer..."

Did you perform a single "disk-to-image" Backup or a set of "partition-to-image" Backups ?

El Pescador

IP Logged

ckr

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 11:08am

Hmmm.  Not sure exactly what you mean, but here's what I did.

I created a backup and chose Disk 1 (there are several disks in the machine.)  The backup was saved to a dir on Disk 2.  When I restored, I chose the file that was on Disk 2, and told Ghost to restore it.  It seemed like everything work, except that the first line in the log is RestoreOperation 0

A few minutes ago, I did a backup of just the C drive, then restored that.  Same problems.

What I don't understand is that it seems like the restore actually worked, but still there's an error in the log file.  Also, when I do an Image Intergraty Check on any of the images that were created, they alwasy comeback good.

Any ideas?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 11:33am

ckr

Are you restoring the partition that Ghost is installed on? 

If 'yes', then I think you may be restoring the log file that was present at the time you created the image file--so it will always come back saying the same thing as it did at the time of the image creation.

Did you have a previous failure?

Try deleting the log file, creating a new image, and restoring--now what does the log file say?

Or, create an image of a different drive, and then restore it--now what does the log file say?

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

cheezzzz
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Hawaii

Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 1:30pm

I'm experiencing the same problem intermittently but the restored image seem to be working fine.  To me, the error window is just an annoyance.  In addition, a successful restore won't even show up in the log, but a failure will.  Figure that out!!

cheezzzz

IP Logged

ckr

Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 1:41pm

I'd thought of that, yesterday.  So I deleted the log file, created a new back up, then restored.  Same problem.  Also, the *time* of the failure listed in the logfile matched, so no joy there.

I haven't been able to get any information on this, which is very annoying.  Not only that, but it happens every time I restore, which has been about a half dozen times now.

Does anyone know off hand if there's a way to increase the amount of information in the log?  Just telling me the restoration failed (when it appears that it did not fail) isn't helpful.

NightOwl wrote on Jul 19th, 2005 at 11:33am:
ckr

Are you restoring the partition that Ghost is installed on? 

If 'yes', then I think you may be restoring the log file that was present at the time you created the image file--so it will always come back saying the same thing as it did at the time of the image creation.

Did you have a previous failure?

Try deleting the log file, creating a new image, and restoring--now what does the log file say?

Or, create an image of a different drive, and then restore it--now what does the log file say?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2005 at 7:07pm

Quote:
"... Not sure exactly what you mean..."

I consider the 160GB Maxtor HDD in the illustration below to be my MASTER physical disk, and making a Ghost Backup of the entire disk is what I call a "disk-to-image" process.  Along the same lines, if I were performing a Ghost Clone, then I would call that a "disk-to-disk" procedure.

This disk is subdivided into units designated C:, G:, H:, I: and J: - most of the time, I call these units partitions but ever so often I call them logical drives.  Actually, the unit assigned the letter C: is a singular primary active partition - albeit a logical drive as well, to my way of thinking - and the remaining letters designate a set of logical drives occupying a single extended partition.  If I were to perform a Ghost Backup of any of these units - active partition or logical drive - I would use the phrase "partition-to-image"Cheesy

El Pescador

IP Logged

ckr

Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2005 at 8:27am

Ah, well, using your terminology, I tried both a image to disk, and image to partition(Nice pic BTW Smiley )

One thing that I discovered yesterday, was that if I boot from a floppy, and start the restore from the ghost on the floppy, I don't get the RestoreOperation 0 entry in the log.  Of course, I don't get a log at all (didn't think to check the floppy for a log... have to check that this morning), so that might be the answer.

Especially since I noticed that when I restored a disk that the OS and ghost were not resident on, I did get a log of the event, but did not get an error. 

So, I guess it's possible that if you have ghost on your C drive (assume that the C drive is the only drive on that disk -- or partition, as you will), and you use ghost to restore that C Drive, you'll get a restoration error even though Ghost restores it without a problem.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2005 at 2:13pm

ckr

Quote:
So, I guess it's possible that if you have ghost on your C drive (assume that the C drive is the only drive on that disk -- or partition, as you will), and you use ghost to restore that C Drive, you'll get a restoration error even though Ghost restores it without a problem.

I think you have correctly reported on a Ghost behavior that is not well documented in the Ghost User Guide information--here's what I found in the *Readme* file for Ghost 2003--

Quote:
After doing a restore operation the log files are inconsistent
--------------------------------------------------------------
Problem:
After doing a restore operation and looking in the task log viewer you see that the last task log does not match the last operation you performed.

Cause:
A restore operation will restore your system to the state it was in when the backup was taken. Unfortunately it will also overwrite the results of all subsequent operations including the restore operation itself.

Solution:
There is no solution to this problem. You must verify that the restore operation was successful manually.

I suspect the *restore failure* message may be the result of the fact that the log file is started at the time you setup the restore operation--and then after the restore operation--and re-boot to Windows--Ghost does not find that log file that was started before entering the restore operation (Ghost probably wants to *complete* the log file to show the results of the procedure)--and thus reports a *logging* failure rather than a *restore* failure--but the program was not coded to properly report the real issue.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print