Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghost 2003 and Restoring from DVDs (Read 6237 times)
ckr

Ghost 2003 and Restoring from DVDs
Jul 20th, 2005 at 10:42am

I noted somewhere on the Rad site, that using Ghost to burn images to a DVD was a bad idea because it took a very long time.  If I recall, the recomendation, was that you tell ghost to make the image on a hard drive, then burn the images to a DVD (or two, or three), using something like Nero.

So, that's what I did.  However, when I booted from a floppy, and tried to get Ghost to use those images, it errored out and said that Ghost wasn't used to burn the DVD.  WTFO?  Did I miss something?

It's not like it can't find the DVD drive -- there's no problem with that.  It seems to be that because it wasn't burned with Ghost, the restore process won't work.

Any ideas on this one?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Ghost 2003 and Restoring from DVDs
Reply #1 - Jul 20th, 2005 at 12:44pm

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #2 - Jul 20th, 2005 at 1:57pm

ckr

The 'Standard Ghost Boot Disk' (floppy disk) will only read Ghost images that were created directly by Ghost--must add some internal code to the image file that triggers that behavior.

If you save a Ghost image to HDD and later burn it to optical media, then Ghost requires that you (a.)  load a DOS driver from config.sys that mounts the optical drive in DOS (example--oakcdrom.sys--a fairly *universal* driver--or some other optical dos driver specific to your drive), and (b.)  then loads *mscdex.exe* in the autoexec.bat file to assign a drive letter to the mounted optical drive.

The 'CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost' that can be created in the Norton Ghost Boot Wizard will give you the necessary drivers for booting--it will be a two floppy boot disk set because all the CD/DVD drivers and Ghost.exe can not fit on a single 1.44 MB floppy drive.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

ckr

Reply #3 - Jul 20th, 2005 at 2:45pm

I'm really sorry folks.  Here is the post that I meant to post right after my question:

->
Sorry, please ignore.  If a mod is around and wants to delete that post, please do Smiley  I'm not registered on the board, so I can't delete the post.  Sorry Sad
<-

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #4 - Jul 20th, 2005 at 7:19pm

ckr

I think you can delete your post by clicking on 'Modify' and then delete the message body and then save the blank message--but it's your choice.

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

ckr

Reply #5 - Jul 21st, 2005 at 8:39am

Only if I'm logged in, and I'm not.  Not to worry.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2005 at 1:08pm

ckr

But, I thought you had to be logged-in in order to post--unless you're logged in under a different identity--then you can not modify a post you created with a different ID.!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print