Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trouble restoring / hardware & licensing issues (Read 3467 times)
lightminute
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Trouble restoring / hardware & licensing issues
Jul 29th, 2005 at 2:26pm

I'm at work now and one of the main computers connected to all the machines on the floor just kicked the bucket. It wouldn't even boot anymore and booting to a Ghost floopy revealed bad sectors.

In my infinite wisdom ( Wink ) I luckily installed a second HDD long ago and directed all files to be saved there as well as made Ghost images there. That second drive was partitioned in TWO with all the files (including images) stored on the second partition. The first one I left open as an emergency boot space just in case the day came when the first HDD with the OS completely died. Today is that day... so without panicking I removed the damaged drive and put the secondary in as a master. I booted to Ghost with no problems...

Now the problem... I choose to restore a partition from an image (on the second partition). It lets me choose the image fine, but when I try to choose the destination partition (the same drive, diff. partition, of course) it is grayed out. I can't select it at all. The only thing I notice is that it says it's a primary and not a logical like the one I stored the image to but that's it.

Can someone help point me in the right direction so I can get this back up and running? THanks so much for the help... Smiley

IP Logged

lightminute
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Trouble restoring to primary drive
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 5:14pm

Well, I figured out the problem. While I had enough inifinite wisdom to set aside the first partition on all my slave drives as an emergency boot space in the event I had to restore an image to it if the primary HDD failed, I didn't set aside enough space. I figured since I directed all file saving to the slave drive that Windows (C:) wouldn't be more than 10 gb, so that's the size of the partition. The image I was trying to restore was 11 gb, hence it grayed out and wouldn't let me choose to restore there.

Now I have another problem. I put in a fresh drive (not brand new, but I wiped it out). I restored the image to it with no problems from Ghost but when it went to boot up and asked me for my username/password I entered it and it hung. After a few minutes it came back with a response that Windows could not check the license and restarted.

I did some research and this is the best explanation I found: http://www.freelists.org/archives/windows_errors/11-2003/msg00007.html.
Question is, I don't want to do an upgrade. Hell, I can't even boot into Windows. Is there any way around this so I can just get the computer going again?

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #2 - Jul 29th, 2005 at 5:33pm

I think this is what they mean by "in-place upgrade".

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_install.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315341 ; (method 2)

Not enough space to resize the partitions on your original second HD?

IP Logged

lightminute
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #3 - Jul 30th, 2005 at 11:22am

Brian,

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately that workstation has been in use by the shop floor employees for so long that the administrator password is long gone (it asks for this when you try to do an XP repair). I'm afraid I've lost this one.

This support doc from MS is the best explanation as to why: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310794&sd=RMVP . It offeres a simple fix by using the regeditor and I thought I was home free until I realized I couldn't even boot into safe mode.

In the few years that I've used Ghost '03 I have never been let down. Alas, all these times I've just had some sort of software issue I've needed to fix and so just restored images to the original drives. Now, when Ghost is most powerful (the loss of your primary drive due to physical damage) I've run into a problem I never saw coming. This is making me rethink all the other systems I have backed up with Ghost and the headache I'll get if ever I have to actually switch drives Sad.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Trouble restoring / hardware & licensing i
Reply #4 - Jul 30th, 2005 at 12:22pm

lightminute

Quote:
administrator password is long gone (it asks for this when you try to do an XP repair). I'm afraid I've lost this one.

For *passwords*, you might try programs listed here:

MY FAVORITE FREEWARE

a.  Protected Storage PassView

b.  RockXP

c.  Revelation

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print