Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
Symantec Norton Ghost 10 (Read 195690 times)
Pleonasm

Symantec Norton Ghost 10
Aug 15th, 2005 at 2:40pm

PC World magazine has published a brief test report (dated July, 2005) on Norton Ghost 10 at http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/chart_test_report/0,chid,6094,prodid,26205,00.asp....

Is Ghost 10 about to be released?  What’s the buzz about new features in version 10?

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Re: Symantec Norton Ghost 10
Reply #1 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 6:35am

Pleo, we're counting on you to dig up some facts. Talk to your hombre's at Symantec.

IP Logged

WallyT
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 7:29am

The company I work for started pushing it out the first week in Aug.

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #3 - Aug 16th, 2005 at 1:13pm

I wrote to Symantec customer service & told then that, if they send me a dozen copies, I'd distribute them here, to folks who have much experience with Ghost, so they could get some (free) beta testing.

IP Logged

WallyT
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #4 - Aug 17th, 2005 at 7:26am

I can not read well, we started using NAV 10.  Will look and see which version of Ghost the guys have.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #5 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 1:12pm

Norton Ghost 10.0 is now available.  For a description of new features, see:
   http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/features.html

P.S.:  Ghost 2003 is included as part of the Ghost 10.0 package.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 3:53pm

Pleonasm

Thanks for the heads-up!

Quote:
P.S.:  Ghost 2003 is included as part of the Ghost 10.0 package.

For all us *stone-age* folks still using Win9x / ME flavored OS's--or *Oh my gosh--DOS*!  Grin !

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #7 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 3:53pm

Glad to see Ghost 2003 is included.

Okay, what's the differences / changes?

What is the official release date?

Update: Doh! NightOwl beat me to it. He has the faster fingers.

IP Logged

texdawg
Technoluster

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #8 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 6:27pm

I wonder if they fixed the BSOD problems some have had with Ghost 9.

It is good to see they did provide a reliable backup, Ghost 2003, just in case Ghost 10 dies.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #9 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 7:29pm

It seems to me that most of the new functionality in Ghost 10.0 is in support of the mission of "bringing image backup to the masses" through improved ease of use - not a bad goal, indeed.

For myself, the only feature of Ghost 10.0 that seems interesting at this time is its new ability to encrypt (versus simple password protect) the image files.

The Symantec website says that Ghost 10.0 "will begin shipping [the] last week of September."  I'll probably wait and purchase the tool as part of SystemWorks 2006 which has a release date of 19 October 2005 (see http://freshsoftware.net/buy_now_software.php?item_num=53446768&t=comp_software&...).

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #10 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 9:53pm

where are you seeing the words "last week of september"?

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #11 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 11:32am

Rad, the new features of Ghost 10.0 are documented at http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/features.html and are summarized below.
  • Automatically creates an initial backup schedule based on your computer’s configuration

• Automatically detects storage devices, analyzes your system, and offers “best practice” backup advice during installation

• Automatically monitors and optimizes backup disk space

• Triggers backups on key events, like new program installations or user logins

• Creates new backups on demand with One Button “Backup Up Now”

• Encrypts backups to help keep them secure

• Task-based interface simplifies management and monitoring

• Displays all scheduled backups — plus the degree of backup protection for each drive on your computer — in one convenient view

• One-step setup wizard makes installation and configuration quick and easy

• Begins backing up to Maxtor external drives at the click of a button
The phrase "last week of September" to describe the availability of Ghost 10.0 can be found by selecting the "buy now" > "Purchase" option from http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/features.html.

Clevelandtxus, I too hope that the BSOD problem disappears with Ghost 10.0.  Having said that, however, I must voice my opinion that this difficulty is not necessarily a problem in Ghost 9.0; rather, it very well may be an issue in Windows or in the way that a specific PC is configured.  I realize that for the small handful of individuals experiencing this problem, my point is a distinction without a difference.  Nonetheless, I encourage you to be open to the possibility that the root cause of the BSOD issue resides not within Ghost 9.0 – although, of course, such could be the case (but logically is not necessarily the case).

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Reply #12 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 12:58pm

They must really be proud of the ability to encrypt images, cuz I noticed they listed it twice:

New! Encrypts backups to help keep them secure.

New! Encrypts backups to help keep them secure.

They also remove the words "hot imaging" and replaced them with:

Makes backups on the fly, without restarting your system.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #13 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 1:32pm

Yes, I too noticed the duplication of the new encryption feature in the Ghost 10.0 description.  Either it is a double-dose of encryption - or, more likely, the copyedit department in Symantec needs some quality control . . . .

I think that "backups on the fly" versus "hot imaging" is more descriptive of the functionality (and thus more easily understood) for the typical PC user.  Of course, it's simply a different name for the same thing.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #14 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 1:52pm

Symantec has published a press release about Ghost 10.0 today which says . . .

Quote:
CUPERTINO, Calif. - Sept. 13, 2005 - Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq: SYMC) today announced the release of Norton Ghost 10.0, one of the most complete, easy-to-use backup and recovery solutions available to consumers today. Scheduled to be available in late September, the latest version of Norton Ghost provides consumers with an effortless and adaptive tool for backing up their entire computer and ensuring quick, easy and convenient file-level or complete system recovery.

Norton Ghost 10.0 takes the guesswork, worry and complexity out of backup and recovery. Rather than requiring users to search for the right files and folders to backup - hoping they don't miss favorite photos or critical tax records - Norton Ghost 10.0 captures the contents of the entire drive, including all files, folders, system settings and customizations, ensuring backups are complete every time. With a full backup, consumers can be confident they'll be able to conduct a complete recovery in one easy step after a serious crash, whether it's a few files or folders or their entire system if necessary.

"Consumers are more dependent on their computers than ever before, storing valuable files, irreplaceable photos and a library of music that may have taken countless hours to organize. At the same time, system failure, user error, data corruption and malicious code can occur anytime and result in lost files or an irreparably damaged hard drive," said Matthew Moynahan, vice president, consumer products and solutions, Symantec Corp. "Consumers need a solution like Norton Ghost 10.0, which makes backup and recovery of important data and files easy and convenient for users at all levels of computing sophistication."

Norton Ghost 10.0 provides personalized protection through best practice storage detection. This unique technology automatically detects when new storage devices are added to the computer and determines which drives should be backed up and which are optimal storage destination locations. New recovery point capabilities focus on points in time rather than images, conforming to the way users think about backup and recovery. Event-triggered recovery points are also provided, enabling users to create personalized recovery points based on user-initiated events. In addition, performance throttling adjusts system resource usage based on present computing needs to more effectively utilize resources when creating recovery points.

Another new feature in Norton Ghost 10.0 is the ability to reconcile recovery points, which helps reduce the amount of storage being used by each recovery point set. In the event of an improper system shutdown, such as a power failure or hard reset, Norton Ghost 10.0's reconciliation capabilities allow consumers to continue to perform incremental backups on their system for the same initial base - even when the system's state has changed between baseline and scheduled recovery points.

Norton Ghost 10.0 offers a simplified, easy-to-use interface that reduces the complexity of backup and recovery by requiring less interaction and navigation to perform backup tasks. The interface also uses clear words and phrases to ease recovery. Optimized recovery point storage automatically monitors and manages the amount of disk space necessary to store recovery points - a capability unique to Norton Ghost 10.0. Additionally, an enhanced Symantec Recovery Disk interface ensures that recovery is fast and simple by categorizing and organizing tasks associated with recovery. The Symantec Recovery Disk has also been updated to include the widest array of device support possible, alleviating consumers of the worry and hassles of having to build their own "bootable" recovery disk, or worse, not having the proper device support available when they need it most - at critical recovery times.

To ensure consumers are provided with optimal data security, Norton Ghost 10.0 includes support for 128-, 192- and 256-bit AES encryption strengths, ensuring stored data is not accessible to unauthorized users. In addition, Norton Ghost 10.0 provides a centralized backup and recovery status that allows consumers to view all drives on a system, the levels of data protection assigned to each and recommendations based on backup activity. Norton Ghost 10.0 works with a wide range of hard drives and removable media, including CDR/RW and DVD+R/RW drives, USB and FireWire® (IEEE 1394) devices, and Iomega® Zip® and Jaz® drives.

Source:  http://www.symantec.com/press/2005/n050913.html

The press release is interesting, especially the discussion of moving away from the concept of images to the concept of recovery points (which can be event-triggered).

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print