Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ghost and BartPE (2002 or 9) (Read 47369 times)
NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Ghost and BartPE (2002 or 9)
Reply #15 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 12:04pm

Pleonasm

Quote:
but I would appreciate hearing your perspective on why Symantec has the ability to issue an update for Ghost 2003 but has not done so.

There is no doubt that Ghost 2003 is *dead* as far as development and keeping up with new hardware and new software standards for that hardware.

As I said in another thread, I have *old* hardware--I built the system in 2001--so Ghost 2003 is working just fine for me, for now.  It's going to take some dramatic new feature that I just *gota have--and can't live without* at this point to make me invest in newer hardware any time soon.

Quote:
The lesson:  it is probably wise to initially avoid assuming that a problem in using Ghost 9.0 is in fact due to a defect in Ghost 9.0.

Actually--most Ghost 2003 problems usually turn out to be *user defects* (wet-ware), and not *software defects*  Wink !

Quote:
(In contrast to Ghost 2003, the Symantec Knowledge Base contains no articles describing "known problems" with Ghost 9.0.)

Now, that would not be the best marketing ploy for the product you are trying to sell to the masses, would it?  I'm sure Symantec did away with their customer support forum because it *advertised* for all to see--the problems people were having with their software--even if the real percentage is small--it looks really bad if all the post are about problems folks are having--better to keep that from the public's *eye*!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #16 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 7:17pm

NightOwl, with respect to the Symantec customer support forum, isn't it the case that Symantec discontinued this support mechanism for all of its retail products and not simply for Ghost 9.0?  If my memory is correct, then Symantec can be criticized for failing to provide such a user-to-user support option in general, but not for attempting to 'hide' problems with Ghost 9.0 in particular, as you suggest.

In addition to this forum, others that are available for individuals to discuss issues with Ghost 9.0 include:
   http://groups.google.com/group/symantec.customerservice.general
   http://castlecops.com/f82-General_Symantec.html

Please add any others that you know about, so that the interested reader of this post has full and complete access to all discussions about Ghost 9.0, with nothing hidden.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #17 - Aug 31st, 2005 at 7:59pm

Pleonasm

Quote:
for attempting to 'hide' problems with Ghost 9.0 in particular, as you suggest.

You have read your bias into my statement!--I did not directly target Ghost 9.x--I was in fact making a *general* statement about marketing all their products--not just Ghost 9.x  Wink !

Quote:
I'm sure Symantec did away with their customer support forum because it *advertised* for all to see--the problems people were having with their software

Where did I say *Ghost 9.x*?  But, I suppose--it's a thread about Ghost 9.x--so I guess it could be *implied*  Wink !

(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #18 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 1:16am

Quote:
Actually--most Ghost 2003 problems usually turn out to be *user defects* (wet-ware), and not *software defects*

What a fascinating term.. wet-ware. NightOwl, what is the derivation of this term? Wet behind the ears?

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Reply #19 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 3:05am

Brian

Wetware

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #20 - Sep 1st, 2005 at 4:11am

A 30 year old term that has never entered my wetware.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #21 - Sep 2nd, 2005 at 6:43pm

NightOwl, you are correct - I 'read-between-the-lines' and (incorrectly) assumed that your comment was in reference to Ghost 9.0.  My bad.

Although my reading of your post was incorrect, I think that we can agree on the conclusion:  the termination of Symantec's user forums was not an attempt to 'hide' anything about Ghost 9.0 (or other Symantec products), but may have been simply a marketing action designed to minimize the visibility of dissatisfied users of all Symantec products in general.

Brian, you may enjoy this piece of trivia.  Years ago, there was a software development company called "Underwear, Inc." (software, hardware, wetware, and then underwear?).  No joke:  their major product was called BRIEF (i.e., Basic Reconfigurable Interactive Editing Facility - an outstanding character-based editor, by the way).

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #22 - Sep 3rd, 2005 at 2:09am

NightOwl was being nice. He could have used the more derogatory term "meatware". =)

Pleo, why don't you copy-n-paste your comments into another separate new thread, and I'll drop a link to it in the guide. I would incorporate you comments into the page itself, except the dang page is too long already.

I try to encourage dissent & debate, cuz that's how we learn things we didn't know before.

Note that I have linked *twice* to our long-@ss thread where we debated the relative merits of DOS-based imaging vs Windows-based imaging. Remember?:

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11129...

.. which currently has more than 5,000 page views. So I am not trying to exclude anyone's opinion (no matter how misguided it might be ... just kidding).

Since you are a Pro-Ghost9 user, I encourage you (and any other Ghost9 users for that matter) to post a thread on 'Why Windows-based imaging with Ghost9 is better than DOS-based imaging with Ghost 2003, and I will code in a prominent link to it in the guide.

Fair?

R.

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #23 - Sep 4th, 2005 at 5:44am

Pleonasm wrote on Sep 2nd, 2005 at 6:43pm:
a software development company called "Underwear, Inc." (software, hardware, wetware, and then underwear?).  No joke:  their major product was called BRIEF (i.e., Basic Reconfigurable Interactive Editing Facility

We'd call it Y-Front Applications.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #24 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 7:18pm

Rad, I will create a new thread on the theme of Ghost 2003/Ghost 9.0 reliability in a few days, as you recommended.  I am pleased that you seek a "fair & balanced" perspective on this forum, and hope that I contribute to that objective in some small way.

Do you also intend to edit the http://ghost.radified.com/norton_ghost_90.htm page to incorporate the 'corrections' that I noted in "Reply #10 on: 29. Aug 2005" within this thread?

Best wishes,
Pleonasm

IP Logged

zdenko
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 12:35pm

Hi.
I have with great interest read this Ghost-BartPe discussion.I prefer NortonGhost 2300 because it is simple.dependable and it works very well in spite of being a Symantec product..Symantec bought Ghost a few years ago and has done important improvement in its practical use..I have been using Ghost (since 1998)and cant imagine feeling secure on a PC without this recovery program.

BartPe,Reatogo,Ghost 9 ?

BartPe is a magnificent free recovery program too but after having built one BArtPe CD and booting into a PC that oterwise couldnt be entered I ask myself WHAT NEXT?Once u boot with BartPe?What next?
Id love to see,read,learn a way that explains HOW to repair,test,use and import because so far I did not see any guide telling me WHAT TO DO step by step once u open and boot.
It is said one can do marvels by network support,but HOW I have not yet seen..Anybody can help?
Ghost is simple..Once u boot it in dos via its bootable flopy u go to PREVIOUSLY done image of your cdrive u may revive all u have saved on ghost image..In 5-25 minutes u got a perfect instant recovery..I dont recommend any other Ghost but NG2003..Why?The new ghost 9 works only in Windows I been told./.It is very nice that it may work w Vista but I need a instant recovery NOW and in case if my Windows XP PRO fails to boot.I think that is a better reason than using a new ghost for an OS that is for time beingnon-existent..Right now if Im in trouble I DONT CARE ABOUT FAR FUTURE and Vista..
BartPe may be wonderful but unfortunately I dont know what to do with this and how to test,repair,import useful tools as there is no practical guide for that purpose..Or I did not find it.I dream about a BartPe with programs that are explained and easy to use.Reatogo?No way..I did not suceed to import programs into that AT ALL ..Sorry but so far NG2003 has saved my surfing a dozens of times..No program can be as useful as this dos-ghost has been for me so far..My first Ghost cost me 100 $..Much?No way..U know how much those arrogant stockholm IT repair experts charge?Well minimum 70$ per hour and one has to wait 7 days for a PC to be repaired.I revive my ghost in 30 minutes at most..So that is a good reason to love that program,isnt it?
Id love to learn how to use BartPe,Reatogo etc and that is the purpose of reading all forums where I can meet knowlegable troubleshooters who may help,like Brian or others..
Thanks in advance..
Zdenko

IP Logged

zdenko
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 1:15pm

I am new here and to newer versions of Ghost.  The last version that I used was back in the 1990,s and I don't remember what version.

I work at a school and I guess you could call me the resident tech ( I remember dos), at least for our building. We just received 25 pcs (Dell) loaded with various programs (each 5 has a different set).  I would like to ghost to image each different type of pc in case we have a crash (we are prone to that with all of the students) and am not sure what to do. I have ghost 2002 and can get version 9 (or 2003) if I need to.

Please allow me to post a few practical words for the school teacher and others..

1/Try to make your cdrive as lean as only possible'..Clean all that is not apsolutely necessary for your Windows OS.Some guys even run programs from D drive (or other partitions..)

2/Make a NortonGhost2003 image of your C drive.U can do that while on Winsdows..Dos too.Ghost has excellent help for that..

3/Store the Ghost image on another partition,drive or even DVD
CD.
4/Make a new image at least every 3 months.Be sure to make an image only if your OS works perfectly well.if it is cleaned,no bugs,tested and defragmented..

5/Delete previous ghost if u want ..

6/Once u need a perfectly running OS ,if any troble with the one u got,take the DVD bootable ghost CD or Ghost floppy disk and
start your Windows in dos go to image and restore what u saved..
Be sure u went to bios and got your booting sequence to CD or Floppy first..

7/If you want to have your OS revived and running how it once was,then FORGET about BartPe,Reatogo or Ghost theory and future..If u got a problem then u dont care about Ghost 9 being better in Vista or BartPe opening every PC,you maybe in need for help and PC right now..I love to research and learn about new ways but when in trouble I love my OS running and if u are like me USE NG2003..

I felt I got to add this few words to my previous text

regards zdenko

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #27 - Sep 25th, 2005 at 12:52am

Yes, Ghost 2003 is a good application. No-one would argue otherwise. What we use depends on personal preference and prejudice as Ghost 2003 and Ghost 9 are both reliable.

I gather you would like some help with Reatogo BartPE. What problems have you had making the CD? Some people just can't do it on their computer through no fault of their own.

Reatogo is the easier version of BartPE to use. It has almost the same appearance as WinXP and is very intuitive. Recovering data, fixing data corruption, removing viruses, all from computers that won't boot. Networking computers that can't easily be networked in Windows, for data transfer. Several imaging programs (but not Ghost 2003) can be run from BartPE, which is handy when these apps are not running appropriately in Windows. Editing the boot.ini has been useful for me in the past.

Reatogo lets you have access to most of the WinXP registry and many of the Administrative Tools for troubleshooting purposes. Many apps can be run as plugins but often these are curiosities. The more you use it the more potential you see for recovery purposes.

Bart sees it "as the next generation rescue platform". He stopped creating DOS boot disks in 2002 when he first saw a WinPE CD and realized what could be done.

Of course if you have an image then you can do a restore. But my friends don't tend to have images. BartPE has been helpful in resolving some of their problems.

IP Logged

zdenko
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Sep 25th, 2005 at 9:06am

Hi Brian,
U are apsolutely right that Reatogo IS SUPPOSED to be easier in use than BartPe..
Not for me.
.unfortunately..My problem are plugins import..reatogo autoHelp plugins have been explained even in a private letter by Siegfried Bethine (reatogo creator)but I could not import one single plugin..He sent me a letter,very nice letter,but  still it is a mistery how to do that plugin install???
BartPe I created and my CD is running perfect.A few days ago I found in our cellar an abandoned PC..Ok I used my BartPe and it s windowsopened without any problem..I saw it had a WinXP Home that asked me for right code.I did not have any code so I formated its C drive and used a set of web found 6 floppy sert ups that could start a new install.
Install started well but broke down soon with an error message..No way to boot this..no way to repair..
Ok if I had my Windows Commander,NSW WIN DOC,CRU checker,or if I could do a SFC..etc I might    perhaps  repair .U mention doctoring boot ini,sure but HOW?Im very much interested in this ..Could u temm  me more or point to a practical guide..Yes I had full access to registry but it did not do much for repair.I run checkdrive although and found out that the small 3 g  drive was OK..

My BartPe Cd is working FINE but I dont know what to do w it..I cannot install pluing either in BP nor Reatoge..Sorry..There is no practical explanation what it means the NETWORK SUPPORT..If I had any access to Hardware Device Manager I could have a look at this PCs  problems..but NO WAY..U say boot Ini..Ok but what to edit?Which useful text u may point out for me in this direction?Thanks..

Why I want to be able to use this wonderful Cd tools?To help myself?No way..

t is my hobby to help old people with PC problems (free of charge).It is very interesting to repair abandoned PCs..And help people have a modest PC..

Regarding my own problems I know how to troubleshoot my PCs and ceertainly I got an image and with  NG2003 no problem to restore and enjoy..If not I takes me several hours to reinstall my OS and it is fun too.

But my handicaps with BartPe and Reatogo frustrate me..I have a bootable BartPe,I open that damned unbootable PC,I check its registry with checkdrive,but what NEXT?

This problem might interest certainly a lot of potential troubleshooters..Therefore Id love to have more knowledge about HOW TO import those (very easy..??) plugins and start using them..Until then my BartPe is just good for almost NOTHING..Practically it is ZERO for me..Same with Reatogo..
Too bad..

Regards Zdenko

IP Logged

Brian
Demigod

NSW, Australia

Reply #29 - Sep 25th, 2005 at 9:17am

Zdenko,

Sorry to hear Reatogo couldn't fix your problem. If the autoHelp plugins don't work for you then plugins can be added in the same way as BartPE adds them. Directly to the Plugin folder. They work just as well as autoHelp plugins.

Have a look at this thread. There are instructions on using the A43 program (like Windows Explorer) and Networking. Boot.ini can be edited in A43.

http://radified.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.cgi?board=general;action=display;num=11177...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print