Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
KATRINA: The Angel of Death stalks the Big Easy (Read 68106 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: KATRINA: The Angel of Death stalks the Big Eas
Reply #30 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 7:23pm

Pulled power company meter pan so that no electrical current can backfeed into distribution network, and hooked a Coleman PowerMate Model 6560 (5,250 watts steady state) gasoline generator directly into my household wiring ... can run three 5,000 BTU A/C window units at MAX continously plus a side-by-side refrigerator/freezer and modest lighting with no problem whatsoever ... Robin/Subaru engine relatively quiet and thrifty compared to Briggs & Stratton counterpart ... very satisfied with generator, and FEMA may reimburse all or part of cost ($699 USD plus tax) ... be advised that Sam's Club has literally dozens of generators being returned for malfunctioning with less than two hours service, and 90-plus percent are painted
YELLOW
at the factory.

In addition to above, now have (1) safe water with adequate pressure; (2) functional sewage system; (3) gas-fired water heater; and (4) functional automatic dishwasher ... have yet to try clothes washer or gas-fired dryer on generator power ... no wireline telephone service and scant wireless service, plus no US Mail delivery nor package delivery services.

EP
Cry  

IP Logged

thorin
Technoluster

Novice

Dallas, Texas

Reply #31 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 8:55pm

Hey, my Conservative friend. Long time no hear! Are you still progressing towards "normality", whatever that may be in your life?

A little worried

thorin (David Lowell)

thorin

IP Logged

membrain
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #32 - Sep 24th, 2005 at 3:16pm

I'm worried about you too El Pesc. I hope things are improving for you and yours.

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #33 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 5:20pm

membrain wrote on Sep 24th, 2005 at 3:16pm:
"... I hope things are improving for you and yours.
Effective 9/28 wireline telephone service restored; ADSL broadband service tested on submerged Dell Dimension L400c this date (all other PCs stored in Baton Rouge); Cingular Wireless service slowly becoming useful, but in immediate aftermath of Katrina/Rita might as well carried a brick around with me - NexTel alleged to have weathered the recent disaster best of of all wireless services; cable TV still out; US Mail service interrupted 8/28 thru 9/13 and again 9/21 thru 9/26; safe potable water; functional sewage treatment; refuse collection spotty; electric service restored 9/16, but out for a couple of days due to Rita; natural gas service uninterrrupted throughout event.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Rad
Radministrator

Sufferin' succotash

Newport Beach, California

Reply #34 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 10:37pm

Good to hear from you. I saw you on the forums earlier today. Interested to any and all thoughts you have on the disaster down there in thre Gulf.

IP Logged

David_L6
Dude

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Louisiana

Reply #35 - Oct 3rd, 2005 at 10:39pm

This update was sure long enough coming!  Wink

Glad to hear that you're still kicking and moving back towards normal.

IP Logged

membrain
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #36 - Oct 4th, 2005 at 2:51pm

Thansk for the update El Pesc. Much appreciated. Hopefully the rest of the hurricane season will leave you alone. Undecided

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #37 - Oct 7th, 2005 at 11:58am

Rad wrote on Oct 3rd, 2005 at 10:37pm:
"... Interested to any and all thoughts you have on the disaster down there in the Gulf.."
All my functional computer gear is still stored in Baton Rouge 80 miles away.  The Dell Dimension L400c was soaked in estaurine waters, and after running hinky for awhile finally conked out.  The floppy drive was full of storm residue and the case of the MASTER HDD was severely corroded, but after installing a spare 80GB IDE Seagate HDD and a new NEC floppy I was able to perform a Ghost 2003 "image-to-disk" Restore from the still-functional SLAVE HDD using DOS Disaster Recovery diskettes.  Since you can read this post, it is self-evident the procedure worked.

Most of my thoughts on this topic have been previously expressed back upstream, but I do have one further comment based on a limited tour south of my immediate area once my own predicament was addressed:
THE ENORMITY OF THE STORM DEVASTATION BORDERS ON THE INCOMPREHENSIBLE IN MY COMMUNITY ALONE - I CAN SCARCELY IMAGINE HOW THINGS ARE TO THE EAST AND FURTHER SOUTH.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

WallyT
Gnarly

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #38 - Oct 22nd, 2005 at 7:14am

I would like an update on Pescador, anybody heard from him?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #39 - Oct 26th, 2005 at 12:42am

El_Pescador wrote on Oct 7th, 2005 at 11:58am:
:... THE ENORMITY OF THE STORM DEVASTATION BORDERS ON THE INCOMPREHENSIBLE IN MY COMMUNITY ALONE - I CAN SCARCELY IMAGINE HOW THINGS ARE TO THE EAST AND FURTHER SOUTH."

Behold the white object in the image below.  That is the underside of a 24-foot fibreglass boat with its keel broken and suspended upside-down in its tangled steel-reinforced slings inside a demolished boathouse at the rear of a vanished condominium located at 182A Lakeview Drive along the shoreline of Lake Pontchartrain south of Slidell, Louisiana.  The nearest wind gauge registered 170 mph from the north immediately prior to its destruction during Hurricane Katrina; Hurricane Rita further devastated the shoreline with southerly winds a few weeks later.

Back when I lived in modern-day America, I used to go fishing in that boat.  During Mardi Gras every year, we would sit atop the decked boathouse roof to watch the local Krewe of Bilge stage a wacky nautical Carnival parade around the canals of Eden Isles.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

membrain
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #40 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 5:13pm

Wow! That is devastation indeed EP. I had been looking at satellite photos of Lake Pontchartrain earlier to get an idea what the situation was. I noticed the same thing in those photos: namely that grainy stuff in the lake.

Is that digital interferance or debris?

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #41 - Oct 27th, 2005 at 10:24pm

membrain wrote on Oct 27th, 2005 at 5:13pm:
"... that grainy stuff in the lake.

Is that digital interferance or debris?"
Not quite sure, as I do not know exact date image was captured; however, I do know that Hurricane Katrina's most destructive winds were northerly versus southerly for Hurricane Rita which piled incredible amounts of debris on that very shoreline a few weeks later.

The owner of the condominium came to visit today and related that almost 60 days after the event, he has yet to have any substantive contact with his insurers and thus cannot even begin to undertake measures to chart the course of his family's life in the near-future.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #42 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 4:57am

Hello Pesky!

It's good to see your recent posts in other topics. They indicate that things have settled down a bit and that you can get on with your life to at least some extent.

I hope that there is steady improvement towards anything resembling 'normal'!

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #43 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 10:54am

Christer wrote on Nov 1st, 2005 at 4:57am:
"... It's good to see your recent posts in other topics. They indicate that things have settled down a bit and that you can get on with your life to at least some extent..."

Regrettably, doing such is no more than an escape from reality.  Last night we had decorations put up for Halloween and bowls of candy for the Trick-or-Treaters, but not a single child came to the door in our devastated neighborhood.  The highlight of my week was tracking down a neighborhood dog and reuniting it with its storm-displaced owner.

Our local society is transforming from an acute crisis mode to a chronic crisis mode that promises to stretch into years.  The key shortage remains housing for service employees.  For example, a local outlet of an interstate restaurant chain that opened bravely in the wake of Katrina has capitulated and closed its doors.  Any small business that requires salesclerks, waiters, cooks, et cetera is hardpressed to even keep its doors open on a reduced schedule.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

Christer
Übermensch

Sweden

Reply #44 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 3:32pm

Quote:
Our local society is transforming from an acute crisis mode to a chronic crisis mode that promises to stretch into years.

Well, that says a lot about the situation ... from 'acute' ... to 'chronic' ... difficult to grasp for someone who only has seen it on the news!

Anyway, I enjoy reading your posts ...... Smiley ...... !

Christer

Old chinese proverb:
If I hear - I forget, If I see - I remember, If I do - I understand

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print