Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
KATRINA: The Angel of Death stalks the Big Easy (Read 68022 times)
El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: KATRINA: The Angel of Death stalks the Big Eas
Reply #45 - Nov 1st, 2005 at 5:11pm

Christer wrote on Nov 1st, 2005 at 3:32pm:
"... difficult to grasp for someone who only has seen it on the news!..."

No journalism of any kind - whether print, photos, films, video, et cetera - can even begin to convey the scope of the devastation.  The true horror really set in for me when I was approached by bedraggled residents of neighboring coastal Hancock County, Mississippi canvassing the trash piles of flood-damaged furniture arrayed cubside in our stricken neighborhood to seek permission to gladly salvage mildewed bedding and scarred furniture
because everything they possesed only a couple of weeks before was literally GONE WITH THE WIND!

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #46 - Nov 12th, 2005 at 6:55pm

El_Pescador wrote on Nov 1st, 2005 at 5:11pm:
"... No journalism of any kind - whether print, photos, films, video, et cetera - can even begin to convey the scope of the devastation..."

Today - for the first tiime since Hurricane Katrina - I ventured south of Lake Pontchartrain to travel the streets of New Orleans and the roadways of St. Bernard Parish on a crisp and beautful fall day.  To my utter horror, it was only to discover an entirely new quantum level of devastation.

Nightly dreams now provide somewhat of a release, but the harshness of dawn resurrects the nightmare of reality from which there is no escape.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #47 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 12:46am

El_Pescador wrote on Nov 12th, 2005 at 6:55pm:
"... Nightly dreams now provide somewhat of a release, but the harshness of dawn resurrects the nightmare of reality from which there is no escape..."

"... But the loss of power and the shortage of supplies was not what frightened Caraway on Tuesday.  What frightened her was what she saw when she walked out on the catwalk over Tulane Avenue.

'I saw
a young man, not in uniform, walking through chest-high water, carrying a rifle up over his head.  I saw two men in a boat in T-shirts and cut-offs with seven or eight guns in the boat.  I saw two men in those orange Parish Prison jumpsuits.
 It was just an oh-my-God kind of thing.

In our parking garage, while we were driving these patients up to the roof, there were people so bold as to be looting our employees' cars in front of us.  Tuesday night, the helicopters stopped flying because of gunfire.  We don't know where it came from or where it was targeted, but it sounded like gunfire.  When you see people with guns in the streets and you hear things that sound like gunshots, that's what you think.

If you weren't here, you don't really understand how scary it was.  It was scary.  The entire time I was down there, I didn't see one NOPD officer.  We were scared of rioting, of the commandeering of assets.  We were scared of lawlessness, of anarchy.  We felt vulnerable.  Very vulnerable'..."

CLICK HERE to read "Angels of Mercy".

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #48 - Nov 18th, 2005 at 2:18pm

Body hunt continues in Lower 9th Ward

Cadaver dogs aiding team of firefighters

CLICK HERE to read story.  Almost 1,500 "souls" are still missing.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #49 - Nov 26th, 2005 at 12:18pm

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #50 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 7:01pm

'War with no war'

"... Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew I, leader of a quarter-billion Eastern Orthodox Christians from his seat in Istanbul, clutched his flowing black robes and trudged up the side of the broken Industrial Canal levee Saturday 'to answer the need of our soul.'  Surveying the wreckage beneath him, he prayed for the more than a thousand lives lost to Hurricane Katrina...

Leaving the airport, his motorcade headed to the Lower 9th Ward, toward the same stretch of levee that officials opened to Britain's Prince Charles and Camilla in December to show the royal couple Katrina's effect on New Orleans.  A few hundred yards away a huge barge lies incongruously on high ground, beached atop a crushed school bus. Nearby, homes are piles of gray rubble; some have vanished, leaving behind only slabs.

Accompanied by Catholic Archbishop Alfred Hughes, Bartholomew was briefed on Katrina's damage by officials from the Army Corps of Engineers and FEMA.  They prayed together, and the pontiff left a bouquet of red flowers to mark the site.

At the base of the levee, he turned away from his limousine and walked a short distance through the rubble of ruined houses, past discarded dishes and scattered vinyl LP records.

He stopped near a Chevrolet sedan flipped over on its top, its tires exposed to the sky.

'God protect us all,' he said.

Church officials traveling with the pontiff, including some Americans, said later
they were stunned by the extent of the damage, even though they were completely familiar with all of television's images of Katrina.

Metropolitan Nicholas, the Detroit-based leader of Greek Orthodox Christians in the Detroit area, said the desensitizing effects of 24-hour television cable news left him unprepared for the reality of New Orleans.

'Seeing it actually frightened me: the searchers' graffiti on the houses.  All of it,' he said.  'It's like there was a war here.  You had a war, with no war.  Unbelievable'
..."

New Orleans Times-Picayune
January 8th, 2005

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #51 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 11:18am

EP
Cry

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #52 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 11:25am

El_Pescador

Regarding the above *cartoon*--

With all due respect to the victims of Katrina, both survivors and those that lost their lives, why do the New Orleans folks want to rebuilt a city based on that model?!

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #53 - Jan 10th, 2006 at 10:10pm

NightOwl wrote on Jan 10th, 2006 at 11:25am:
"... why do the New Orleans folks want to rebuilt a city based on that model?!..."

If you superimpose a map of what is now the Greater New Orleans Metropolitan Area circa 1876 over a recent map expressing the flooding in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, it is readily evident that those settled areas from years past escaped virtually unscathed.

By and large, the most horrendous of the flooding was not an immediate result of the storm; rather, it represented the largest civil-engineering disaster in American history exacerbated by misgovernance at all levels - both before and after the event.

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Reply #54 - Jan 26th, 2006 at 11:30pm

"... Each night for the past five months, Janet Bemis closed her eyes and recited tearful prayers.  She pleaded to God, with a million midnight whispers: 'Wrap your arms around my mother until we find her.'

Bemis' prayers softened the ache in her heart, but nothing could chase away the pain of not knowing if her ailing 82-year-old mother was dead, alive or alone.  
Ethel Ann Herbert was airlifted from the Superdome on Aug. 31, two days after Hurricane Katrina.  She has been missing ever since.

'We didn't leave her floating in water,' Bemis, 60, said Tuesday.  'We didn't leave her to die.  We left her in the hands of the world's finest.  We left her with the military.'..."

New Orleans Times-Picayune
January 25, 2006

http://www.nola.com/news/t-p/frontpage/index.ssf?/base/news-4/1138202931122050.x...

EP
Cry

IP Logged

El_Pescador
Übermensch

Thumbs Up!

Bayou Country, USA

Re: KATRINA: The Angel of Death stalks the Big Easy
Reply #55 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 9:03pm

KATRINA REDUX: This time the Angel of Death stalks to the west of the Big Easy

At 8PM CDT, August 30th all indications are that Hurricane Gustav will strike west of the City of New Orleans and its immediate environs within the next 72 hours.  For the communities along the northshore of Lake Pontchartrain where we live, the projected storm surge with the current track will be far worse than endured during Hurricane Katrina three years ago almost to the day.

No matter what, electrical service and communications will be interrupted in the area for days on end - that is already a given even with a near-miss.  We are now faced with a Category 4 - maybe Category 5 -  hurricane, so regardless of strength and proximity of impact it may be a long time before any of you will see the signature below ...

El Pescador
 Perhaps Ever Again

IP Logged

sumrica
Radmeister

Down around Biloxi, Miss.

Re: KATRINA: The Angel of Death stalks the Big Easy
Reply #56 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 8:17am

The surge prediction so far in my area, Biloxi, is 6'-12'.  Being at ~25' of elevation, that'll keep me from having to go swimming.  Now, if I could just keep that water oak off the house...

I hate to wish this storm on somebody else.  Though, I'd sure welcome it hooking to the west some.  We've already had our lifetime share of catastrophic weather.

Look forward to hearing from you on the other side, Pesky.

Joe

http://www.facebook.com/joesumralliii?sk=info  
IP Logged

sumrica
Radmeister

Down around Biloxi, Miss.

Re: Water Levels
Reply #57 - Sep 1st, 2008 at 7:46am

Two links for water levels near where El Pescador lives...

Lake Pontchartrain @ I10 Turnaround near Slidell
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?0738023335

Rigolets at Hwy 90 near Slidell, LA
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?301001089442600

And here's one close to my home...

BILOXI BAY AT POINT CADET HARBOR AT BILOXI
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?302318088512600

Looking pretty good so far.

http://www.facebook.com/joesumralliii?sk=info  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print