Welcome, Guest. Please Login

HomeHelpSearchLogin FAQ Radified Ghost.Classic Ghost.New Bootable CD Blog  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Partitioning advice: NTFS or FAT32 for C:? (Read 2961 times)
VitoPrimo
Dude

Partitioning advice: NTFS or FAT32 for C:?
Sep 8th, 2005 at 10:17am

Hi all:

I'm wondering if I should start using NTFS on my system and application drives?

I currently set up my computers using FAT32 for the C: (system), D: (applications and critical data), and E: (Ghost images). I format the remaining partitions using NTFS.

I know this is the "old school" partitioning strategy. However it allows me to boot my computers using a Win98SE boot floppy or CD. Then I can run Ghost from a directory on the C: drive.

I believe that Ghost (I'm using versions 2001 and 2003) writes only to FAT32 so I need at least one FAT32 partition to hold Ghost images.

Should I convert my existing configurations so that C: and D: are NTFS and leave E: as FAT32? I'm pretty sure if I do this that the E: drive will no longer be visible when I boot using a  Win98SE boot floppy or CD, right? Will Ghost 2001 or 2003 be able to "see" the E: drive and write images there?

Dear Jesus: please protect me from your believers.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Re: Partitioning advice: NTFS or FAT32 for C:?
Reply #1 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 11:12am

VitoPrimo

Quote:
I'm wondering if I should start using NTFS on my system and application drives?

Only if there is a *NTFS* reason to do so--i.e. if there is a file system reason for using it--example--you want to use the encryption feature of WinXP, or (I'm shaky on this one--someone else may be able to confirm) you need unlimited file sizes for video or audio editing.

Quote:
I format the remaining partitions using NTFS.

Curious--what is your reasoning for doing this?

Quote:
I believe that Ghost (I'm using versions 2001 and 2003) writes only to FAT32 so I need at least one FAT32 partition to hold Ghost images.

Ghost 2003 can write to and read from for backing up NTFS partitions.  But because Ghost 2003 is DOS based, NTFS partitions are not *seen* by DOS and those partitions will not be assigned drive *letters*.  Instead, Ghost lists them as *1:1, 1:2 ..... 2:1, 2:2 ..... * etc. for disk 1: partition 1, disk 1: partition 2 .... disk 2: partition 1, disk 2:  partition 2 .... etc.

Quote:
Should I convert my existing configurations so that C: and D: are NTFS and leave E: as FAT32? I'm pretty sure if I do this that the E: drive will no longer be visible when I boot using a  Win98SE boot floppy or CD, right?

E: drive will still be *visible* in DOS, and therefore in Ghost also--but, because it will now be the first drive *seen* by DOS, it will be assigned the C:\ drive letter designation.

Your C: and D: NTFS drives will not be visible in DOS, but will be seen from within Ghost as mentioned above with the *1:1....* drive designations.  (By the way, this is why it's a good idea to *label* each partition with a unique name so you can identify it when the drive letters are *missing* in Ghost--and if/when you are setting up your partitions, you should give each partition a unique *size*, so if the label is not showing, you once again can tell which partition it is based on size differences--keep a list handy for when/if needed!)

Quote:
Then I can run Ghost from a directory on the C: drive.

If you have a floppy drive and/or a bootable optical drive--you can run Ghost from the A:\ prompt from a floppy disk or from the data portion of the optical media if you have burned the *ghost.exe* to the data portion of the optical media--and you have loaded the needed DOS files to access your optical drive from DOS--you do not really need the copy DOS *ghost.exe* to the DOS compatible C:\ drive in order to run Ghost.  Also, you could have a DOS compatible partition *anywhere* on your HDD's and put Ghost there--once booted to DOS via floppy or bootable optical medie, you just have to switch to that drive and run *ghost.exe* from that location.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

VitoPrimo
Dude

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 12:35pm

NightOwl wrote on Sep 8th, 2005 at 11:12am:
VitoPrimo
Only if there is a *NTFS* reason to do so--i.e. if there is a file system reason for using it--example--you want to use the encryption feature of WinXP, or (I'm shaky on this one--someone else may be able to confirm) you need unlimited file sizes for video or audio editing.

The only reason I'm considering doing this is that recently I've experienced some "weird" FAT32 file system failures. For example:

Upon cleanly shutting down one of my computers to create some Ghost images, Windows 2000 would not reboot. It turns out that the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM file (I believe this is part of the registry) was corrupted. I was able to extract an old version of this file from a prior Ghost image and, about an hour later, get Windows 2000 to restart. This has happened at least 3 times over the last couple of months on this particular machine.

Yesterday on another machine (this one running Windows XP Professional) the System event log got corrupted. Whenever I opened the Event Viewer and tried to look at the System log, the Event Viewer would crash and generate an error message that mmc.exe (Microsoft Management Console, the shell that hosts things like the Event Viewer, Disk Manager, and so on) had failed.

I'm wondering if the touted "robustness" of NTFS would have prevented this errors.

By the way, I have run Windows error checking and defragmentation utilities; everything comes up clean.

Curious--what is your reasoning for doing this?

I need the large file support that NTFS provides.

Ghost 2003 can write to and read from for backing up NTFS partitions.  But because Ghost 2003 is DOS based, NTFS partitions are not *seen* by DOS and those partitions will not be assigned drive *letters*.  Instead, Ghost lists them as *1:1, 1:2 ..... 2:1, 2:2 ..... * etc. for disk 1: partition 1, disk 1: partition 2 .... disk 2: partition 1, disk 2:  partition 2 .... etc.

I wasn't aware of this.

E: drive will still be *visible* in DOS, and therefore in Ghost also--but, because it will now be the first drive *seen* by DOS, it will be assigned the C:\ drive letter designation.

Your C: and D: NTFS drives will not be visible in DOS, but will be seen from within Ghost as mentioned above with the *1:1....* drive designations.

I knew the drives would not be visible in DOS but I thought the limitation also applied to Ghost. Good news.

(By the way, this is why it's a good idea to *label* each partition with a unique name so you can identify it when the drive letters are *missing* in Ghost--and if/when you are setting up your partitions, you should give each partition a unique *size*, so if the label is not showing, you once again can tell which partition it is based on size differences--keep a list handy for when/if needed!)

Great advice! Do the labels assigned in Windows 2000 or Windows XP show up in Ghost or do I have to use some DOS or Ghost utility to assign labels that will be visible in Ghost?

If you have a floppy drive and/or a bootable optical drive--you can run Ghost from the A:\ prompt from a floppy disk or from the data portion of the optical media if you have burned the *ghost.exe* to the data portion of the optical media--and you have loaded the needed DOS files to access your optical drive from DOS--you do not really need the copy DOS *ghost.exe* to the DOS compatible C:\ drive in order to run Ghost.  Also, you could have a DOS compatible partition *anywhere* on your HDD's and put Ghost there--once booted to DOS via floppy or bootable optical medie, you just have to switch to that drive and run *ghost.exe* from that location.

Good suggestions. Thank you for the prompt reply and the excellent info.

Dear Jesus: please protect me from your believers.

IP Logged

Pleonasm

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 2:36pm

VitoPrimo, Microsoft has published an excellent introductory article on this subject called "NTFS vs. FAT:  Which Is Right for You?" that may be found at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/russel_october01.mspx.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print