Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
SCSI Boot (Read 6201 times)
spinrecovery
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

SCSI Boot
Sep 25th, 2005 at 10:57pm

I have 2003 server with 2 SCSI HDs and an AHA-2940U controller.  Installed Ghost, ran backup wizard, machine bounced but I can't see the 2 SCSI drives.  One was installed specifically for backup, but I'm tired of NTBackup.  This is a terminal server for 30 users.  Any comments appreciated. Angry

IP Logged

Templeton

Re: SCSI Boot
Reply #1 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 3:11am

tried boot floppy?

or bootable cd?

sometimes you need you use the down-arrow to see drives.

IP Logged

spinrecovery
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #2 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 10:58am

I've been trying thinigs all weekend.  The Drivers (to the most common SCSI controller in existence) are not loading so I cannot 'down arrow'.  Anyone have a recipe for floppy or CD that will boot and load or other recovery method?  I'm glad I can affored test machines...   

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #3 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 11:52am

spinrecovery

What version of Ghost are you using?

Have you tried the Ghost Boot Wizard.  In Ghost 2003, the first setup page after selecting the *Standard Ghost Boot Disk* offers the option of including *SCSI CD/DVD--Include Adaptec ASPI drivers*.

From the Ghost 2003 User Manual:

Quote:
Installing SCSI drivers

Norton Ghost automatically installs Adaptec SCSI drivers in the Virtual Partition if it finds a SCSI hard disk. The SCSI drivers allow Norton Ghost to access any SCSI device. If you want to install SCSI drivers manually, you can set this as a default preference or install the drivers from a wizard. You can scan for Adaptec SCSI cards and let Norton Ghost select the correct drives.

If you are using a card other than Adaptec, then you must manually install the correct drivers.

See *Installing extra drivers* on page 56.

To install SCSI drivers

1 Do one of the following:
--To set the default installation of SCSI drivers, in the Ghost Basic window, click Options.
--To install the SCSI drivers while running a task, in the Advanced Settings window, click Advanced Settings.

2 Check the SCSI drivers that you want to install.

3 To let Norton Ghost scan for Adaptec SCSI cards, click Auto-Detect for SCSI drivers.

4 Click OK.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

Maplethrope

Reply #4 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 12:22pm

I have the Adaptec 19160 and use Ghost 2003. I don't have to do anything special when creating the Ghost boot floppy. Both my SCSI drives show up automatically. I run WXP Pro.

Maybe it has something to do with the server OS you are running. Can you try creating a Ghost boot floppy on a non-server OS?

IP Logged

spinrecovery
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #5 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 12:52pm

I am using Ghost 2003.   On the "Advanced Settings" applet "SCSI Drivers" tab none of the four drivers were selected default in the Bu Wizard.  I clicked the "Auto-detect" feature" and it informed that no additional drivers were needed.  When the machine booted to DOS, it hung and I ultimately had to ASR the box.

Now - As suggested I have created a boot-floppy, and the config.sys lists all 4 default scsi drivers - I get many errors on boot. The Ghost imaging console then locks.  I have exited mid-boot (pre-ghost.exe) and there are now drive letters for my scsi drives (progress).  Boot log also states aic78xx.sys is  needed, which I have but doesn't come with G2003.  This is Win2003 server. 

I will post the method when I do manage to image the Win 2003 system disk to its on-board (identical) backup disk.  Comments welcome.

IP Logged

NightOwl-
Übermensch

"I tought I saw a puddy
tat...."

Olympia, WA--Puget Sound-USA

Reply #6 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 1:27pm

spinrecovery

I have read that Ghost 2003 will not run compatibly on a Win2003 Server, but you should be able to boot to DOS and create images *outside* of the Windows environment.

No question is stupid...but, possibly the answers are  Wink !
(This is an old *NightOwl* user account--not in current use.  Current account is NightOwl without a dash at the end.)

IP Logged

spinrecovery
N00b

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Reply #7 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 1:37pm

G2003 has reported now 2X on 2 identical setups that it cannot access it's partition due to its "inability to defragment" the partition.  One is a newly minted W2003 install.  So now I am back to the boot floppy.  If G2003 won't run on Win2003, do you suppose it would create a boot floppy on W2003? Mine won't. Maplethorp says he has no trouble with SCSI on XP.  Since all my computers are *identical* I will try it on an  XP test  box.  I wish I didn't have work to do and could just TECH out for a day...  Thanks for yanking me off the W2003 slippery slope.

IP Logged

Spanky

Reply #8 - Sep 26th, 2005 at 4:10pm

From the DOS environment, the server partition should look no diferent than a WXP partition, just a bunch of bits.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print